What type of stereo head unit do you use?

MaritimeMan

Brand?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Brand?

• Stock
    • Alpine
    • Sony
    • Eclipse
    • Pioneer
    • Blaupunkt
    • Clarion
    • Kenwood
    • Panasonic

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eclipse is some nice stuff, have you seen the 2 Din DVD player with screen? very nice. the sterio i got isnt even listed. i got a Denon CD player, very old from 96, still runnin. i cant find any info about it online, and it looks like Denon doesnt even HU any more..

Kenwood KRC-607 casette H/U with their KDC-D300 CD player with 11 band spectrum analyzer, Alpine 6x9 three-ways in the back with their 6 and a half inch 3-ways in the doors. Stock Clarion gave up a loooong time ago.......

Geez, I'm an old F*rt, what do I need 12" subs for ? :X

post-1-1093136698.jpg

i run a pioneer in the DSM and a jensen in the pathy. when we bought it...my parents didnt have many CD's and opted NOT to get the factory CD player. i dont have anything high end in it cuz i dont use the pathy much and 2, i had it laying around

I've been putting Pioneer in all my vehicles for over a decade now, and have had very good sound quality. I don't need all that fancy stuff that cost alot of money, I would like the dental work in my mouth anyhow. :P

Eclipse is the way to go. I'm on my second one. Absolutely no skipping other than with completely fubar'd cd's. I've had Sony (skipped all the time, especially from the bass), Alpine (good, but the display died), JVC (ok, but had some gremlins that nobody could figure out), Pioneer (good bang for the buck), Clarion (aftermaket- awesome, stupid me left it in when I sold the car). But out of them all, I like the Eclipse best. Straight forward features and operation, and unbeatable sound and anti-skip. Good for jamming while off road.

I've only ever owned kenwood ... and I like their stuff ...

I've been VERY happy w/ my Kenwood units, absolutely no skipping, receiver has unbeatable FM selectivity, and a big factor was being able to change illumination color to match the rest of the orange dash lights. Something that wasn't optional a few years back on a lot of brands.

On the other hand (you have different fingers :D ), the Blaupunkt San Jose in my Supra skips if you look at it wrong.... :furious:

I used to have a Sony CD head unit with a motorized flip down face, Rockford Fosgate (RF) 200w four-channel for the interior speakers and a MTX amp for the dual 12" Pioneer subs mounted in a bandpass box until the neighborhood kids decided they wanted it. Little bastards broke my window during a snowstorm and took it all. :furious:

Now it's an Alpine CD head unit, RF four-channel 200w for the interior speakers and another RF 600w pushing a 12" Pioneer sub in a custom box over the wheel well.

The truck is in the shop getting new headers put on, taken off, and old stock manifolds put back on (long, sad story). I'll post a pic when I get it back, but a pic would just show what looks like a solid rectangular box anyway.

The box is basically a 24"x 14" x 10" box with a sloped bottom to match the slant of the wheel well. The front and one side panel are larger so they go all the way to the floor, so instead of making the front panel 24"x 14", make it 24"x 19" to cover the gap. Then cut a rectangular piece to cover the side facing the lift gate.

To mount it securely, I removed the plastic trim panel on the passenger side of the cargo area and bolted two 1.5" 1/4 x 20 bolts through the body panel bracing with the remaining threads facing out. Then I drilled holes in the plastic panel and ran nuts and fender washers a few inches out from the panel so when the box is tightened down it doesn't crush the plastic panel, it presses on the spacing fender washers and nuts. Finally, I drilled corresponding holes through the rear of the sub box, slid it on the bolts, and put a couple more nuts and washers on to secure it before installing the speaker.

I built it for a single 12", so the box volume is as close to optimal as I could fit over the wheel well (1.38 cu. ft.).

www.the12volt.com has all kinds of info including volume calculators and tips on installs.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is my deck that I got a while back. Sure beat the old Kenwood tape deck that was in there (didnt even work) I switched out the kenwood for a clarion then to the sony Xplode deck (which I lost the remote to)

deck1.jpg

deck2.jpg

deck3.jpg

Rami

P.S. Dont worry Hardwaretoad I dont have subs either. Guess we will have to keep hittin our door panels for bass.