Drive shaft parking brake

Balmer

balmer,

you can't do it because the slip is on the t-case. you would have to make it stationary.

i.e. slip yoke eliminator, and then some custom fab stuff.

why would you do this was asked?

simple, to keep the cables from getting ripped off. As soon as i get my D300 in, i'm going to be putting on a drive shaft brake

balmer,

you can't do it because the slip is on the t-case. you would have to make it stationary.

i.e. slip yoke eliminator, and then some custom fab stuff.

why would you do this was asked?

simple, to keep the cables from getting ripped off. As soon as i get my D300 in, i'm going to be putting on a drive shaft brake

Also a driveshaft park brake is WAY more reliable and solid than stock park brake set-ups. It locks all of the wheels (as long as your in 4x4) and relies on the strength of the drivetrian rather than that of the rear brakes, to hold the vehicle.

I understand that this is a parking brake, but could someone explain what kind of brakes are used on monster trucks? I see them on TV all the time and its this big disc right over the hub, or "pumpkin", of the axle. and it sparks every time its used!

I understand that this is a parking brake, but could someone explain what kind of brakes are used on monster trucks? I see them on TV all the time and its this big disc right over the hub, or "pumpkin", of the axle. and it sparks every time its used!

Pinion brakes on teh axles.. same concept, different location. (i.e. look at a set of Rocks, rockwell axles that is)

I would say the sparking is from a metalic pad on a metalic disk and gettting really hot.

Pinion brakes on teh axles.. same concept, different location. (i.e. look at a set of Rocks, rockwell axles that is)

I would say the sparking is from a metalic pad on a metalic disk and gettting really hot.

I figured it was metallic rotors and pads making the sparks... wasnt sure though!

anyone thought about doing pinion brakes?

I figured it was metallic rotors and pads making the sparks... wasnt sure though!

anyone thought about doing pinion brakes?

Only way you could on ours would be to put them on the opposite side (input side) of the pinion between the driveline and the diff. Problem there is that they would get torn off on rocks for the rear, and no room to fit one on the front.

Rockwells and other axels that have the pinion brake are manufactured with the brake there.

Also called a Transfer Case Brake. As mentioned before, they cannot be installed on a stock Pathy.

I have this setup for my Yota

skymanutcbyota.th.png

*Also moving this to the General Forums, because it covers Pathfinders in general not just one year range* :aok:

Also called a Transfer Case Brake. As mentioned before, they cannot be installed on a stock Pathy.

I have this setup for my Yota

skymanutcbyota.th.png

*Also moving this to the General Forums, because it covers Pathfinders in general not just one year range* :aok:

Ya, that's basically the type of set up I'm talking about only I was thinking of going with a hydraulic set-up with a locking lever off of an atv.... When, as 87Pathy mentioned, I get a D300 T-case...one day.

I considered the hydraulic options called "LineLoc's" or "Line Locks" But steered towards the mechanical method for safety's sake. After much research I found that a lot of people have reported their trucks "creeping" and some even rolling after being "locked" for an extended period of time. (pressure slowly bleeding out). People have had this problem when using the them with both TC brakes and wheel brakes.

Granted it's not a common thing but it can and does happen. A risk that the mechanical brake eliminates ;)

And you can use your stock e-brake lever with it :aok:

I considered the hydraulic options called "LineLoc's" or "Line Locks" But steered towards the mechanical method for safety's sake. After much research I found that a lot of people have reported their trucks "creeping" and some even rolling after being "locked" for an extended period of time. (pressure slowly bleeding out). People have had this problem when using the them with both TC brakes and wheel brakes.

Granted it's not a common thing but it can and does happen. A risk that the mechanical brake eliminates ;)

And you can use your stock e-brake lever with it :aok:

ebrake lever? wow thats been gone for a while now.

the biggest problem with the blead down is people put them on drum brakes.. WRONG. they don't work well with drum brakes. (thats why I don't even have a parking brake now)

also, if you get the micro locks, they work better than a standard "line lock"