G wagon owner Again

TheCrow

I know it is not a Pathy , it is in my opinion the best built 4x4 and I am sharing you my joy of finding one in this land where people hardly know about the G wagon and consider it an ugly car

I was a G wagon once and had to sell it but the G is an addiction and once you fall in love with the G it is hard to keep away from the world’s best 4x4 ever built , and here I found a G whom I had saved from the Junkyard and willing to start the restoration process , it is going to be a long way but I am glad to start it .

Here are some photos of My 300 GE 1991 model clocked 145,000 km and has been thrown away in the Junkyard for 2 years .

I found the original owner worked on the paper work and now I have to work on it .

First thing I have done before attempting to start it , I had dropped down the fuel tank and cleaned it and changed the fuel pipes .

The vehicle is still not started need to work on the injectors hopefully tomorrow I will have the engine running and do my first test drive before I start the restoration process

I still haven’t decided on the colour it is original colour is green turquoise like Mortinson’s G but I am intending to change the colour your suggestion of colours are welcomed , my choices are between : black – white – or olive green

All suggestions on restoration are welcomed

IMAGE_035.jpg

IMAGE_036.jpg

IMAGE_037.jpg

IMAGE_038.jpg

Edited by TheCrow

Yep :

- Engine : straight inlien 6 cylinders engine that generates 180hp

- Gear box ; Manual 5 speed

- Axles : solide live axles

- Lockers : Factory fitted front and back and center locker too

- Rated torque : 235 / 4500

- Mechanical fuel injection

While researching a bit I found a few pictures of a mint one... I must say I'm impressed with the spec of this truck out of the dealer... Once you get to this stage of restoring, I guess you can say : mission accomplished !! :-)

6.jpg

38.jpg

Main%20L.jpg

http://www.dwaycar.com/1991%20300GE.html

Edited by fleurys

Lift her. They are awesome machines but, for some truly bizarre reason, MB sells 'em with solid axles F&R, 3 locking diffs and LOW ground clearance. Get a 2"-4" lift, slap some tires on her and you are good to go.

BTW, the core design on those didn't really change till the late 90s. That's when MB started gussying it up and converted it into a luxo cruiser to cash in on the 1990s/2000s SUV boom here in the US. They stuffed the US-bound ones with MB V8s, superchargers, COMAND electronics blah blah in. Lots more stuff to go wrong.

Fortunately, with an early 90s model, you're getting a no-nonsense bruising off-roader. These things were originally designed as military vehicles and were built in collaboration with Steyer-Puch of Austria, the folks who brought you the Halflander and Pinzgauer. Right now, they're built by Magna Steyr, still in Austria.

Enjoy!

Edited by GoPathyGo

inline six will destroy v8 all day long and still drive home to tell about it

nice machine, heres a photo i took of a local one at a junkyard :

gwagonshotup.jpg

Edited by FUELER

LOW ground clearance.
what are smoking? many come on 35" tyres man.

the core design on those didn't really change till the late 90s.
stupid chrysler. P...

Hey do you live in Lebanon because both my parents were born there.
looks more like Qatar.

gwagonshotup.jpg

I fully agree... I have had many before... old BMW's and a 91 landcruiser.. geat torque and reliability.....however.. if you Have the $$$ .... ??? WHY NOT??? and a great find crow!!! why was it junked? was it rolled? (slightly) ?? looks in really good shape except for the small roof line imperfections.....

and Fueler? what gansta died in that? thats a baddass pic!

Edited by beavis0076

If you aren't too picky, you can get one for <$30k.

But for that kind of money, you could get a Pathfinder/Xterra, lift it, ARB lock it F&R, put some nice tires on it and pass Gs all day long without worrying about parts or stuff breaking.

Oh wait, that's what I'm doing. :lol:

Still. those Gs are great machines.

Looks liek a fun, time consuming project, enjoy!

gwagonshotup.jpg

All it's missing is spinners and lambo doors!

Theres a guy who drives a stock one on 35s around here, very impressed with where that thing will go. Of course his door panels are all beaten to @!*% now though.

In the States ? They came off the showroom floors with 30s, 31s etc Never saw 35s standard or as an option over here.

you may be right.. there are a few versions of G and maybe the shortys had bigger tires... there are very few G around these parts and all are like the gangsta' one above.

While researching a bit I found a few pictures of a mint one... I must say I'm impressed with the spec of this truck out of the dealer... Once you get to this stage of restoring, I guess you can say : mission accomplished !! :-)

It will take me time , due to lack of parts in this region but eventually this is what I am aiming for

I like the shorty, kind of looks like an old 70 series SWB Landcruiser

Short wheel base are good , but i like to have enough space and still love the long wheel base on ditches as it has always a wheel in the air

Lift her. They are awesome machines but, for some truly bizarre reason, MB sells 'em with solid axles F&R, 3 locking diffs and LOW ground clearance. Get a 2"-4" lift, slap some tires on her and you are good to go.

BTW, the core design on those didn't really change till the late 90s. That's when MB started gussying it up and converted it into a luxo cruiser to cash in on the 1990s/2000s SUV boom here in the US. They stuffed the US-bound ones with MB V8s, superchargers, COMAND electronics blah blah in. Lots more stuff to go wrong.

Fortunately, with an early 90s model, you're getting a no-nonsense bruising off-roader. These things were originally designed as military vehicles and were built in collaboration with Steyer-Puch of Austria, the folks who brought you the Halflander and Pinzgauer. Right now, they're built by Magna Steyr, still in Austria.

Enjoy!

She will be lifted once I finish the restoration , I need to order the parts from ORC , she can take 35”tires once I have a 2”lift on her , the reason it comes with stock lockers and solid axles is due to it's military origin some army still use them like the Canadian Army in Afghanistan and they do outperform Hummers

gwagon.jpg

You’re information are quite correct about the G wagon the old military series were coded as 460 series , starting from 1990 they introduced the more civilian version the 463 series , which means the one I have is one of the pioneer models of the civilian version and as you mentioned it would be hassle free with it’s simple engineering .

Hey I had restored previously an 1981 model of them unfortunately I had to sell it , as you said not much has changed on this truck Mercedes have been building them strong since 1979 .

Here some pics of the restored 1981 model with a facelift I did to him which makes it look newer , I used to call him Bluewhale as he was OLD , Slow , Loud Heavy and Reliable and can travel anywhere

Restored with the original look

GFront.jpg

febe9d06.jpg

Face lifted to the new Look

sidefront.jpg

back1.jpg

I agree with Fueler , those engines are easier to understand and can take you anywhere the new complicated delicate engines do .

Well it says hes from Lebanon also on his profile.

Yes I am a Lebanese expatriate working in Qatar , I do get back home for holidays

If you aren't too picky, you can get one for <$30k.

But for that kind of money, you could get a Pathfinder/Xterra, lift it, ARB lock it F&R, put some nice tires on it and pass Gs all day long without worrying about parts or stuff breaking.

Oh wait, that's what I'm doing. :lol:

Still. those Gs are great machines.

You may match them in offroad but they still has the Mercedes Luxury while matching a modified SUV performance , when they are still stock .

Beavis you are right , they do assemble them manually but not all of them though , the new ones specially the ones done for USA as mentioned by Go Pathy are not , and have a lot of electronic problems.

It was junked because the previous owner just left it by the road side for many years under the sun and dust and the municipality impounded it and junked it .

Not many people values this car

what, you didn't save the kia? lol.. congrats. :aok:

Lol well it was difficult to choose between the Kia and the Benz i counted till ten and the Benz won ;)

There are a couple of those around here.

One is driven by some rich stupid ass college student whose parents have obviously paid for everything.

The other one is chromed out everywhere (chrome "brush gaurds" even on the remote blinkers!)

Each time I see one of them I get the urge to save the poor G's from their horrible horrible owners.

Very cool. Keep us posted, but don't forget the Pathy in all the excitement about the new toy. ;)

Not at all today I am receiving the OME 2"lift kit for Paty .