Half Doors

I don't think the doors are going to offer much side-impact protection once you hack them as shown.

It would probably be safer (and easier to cut) to go w/ an elipse no more than 1/4 down from the window.

The natrual carbon composite (plywood) doors are just plain awful.

I'm with the tube door crowd, but that'll probably look kinda goofy on a 4 door.

Have you considered just getting wider tires so they're easier to see? I never have a problem seeing from my stock doors, but I'm rolling 31x12.50 Pro-Comps.

I don't think the doors are going to offer much side-impact protection once you hack them as shown.

It would probably be safer (and easier to cut) to go w/ an elipse no more than 1/4 down from the window.

The natrual carbon composite (plywood) doors are just plain awful.

I'm with the tube door crowd, but that'll probably look kinda goofy on a 4 door.

Have you considered just getting wider tires so they're easier to see? I never have a problem seeing from my stock doors, but I'm rolling 31x12.50 Pro-Comps.

Well, im not gonna get new tires till i lift, and this is mostly for the purpose of replacing a body part so if it DOES get damaged, it will be on that instead of a good clean door.....And i figure hey, while im at it ill cut it up ;)

Not too worried about side impact, but who knows, maybe ill reinforce it with some tube INSIDE the door O_o

If i end up buying this popup for 150 bucks, then ill skip this mod :(

Toyota Half Doors,

johnson-valley-the-hammers-big-johnson-1002.jpg

johnson-valley-the-hammers-big-johnson-1040.jpg

stupid hacked toyota half doors.

If you going to do half doors, follow 2 simple rules.

keep them above your hips, and keep the original latch mechanism. this will keep the popo away.

Nissan half doors

picsoldcomputer060.jpg

those doors do keep the original latch mechanism and are above the hips. the

these however do not...

rock-garden-4x4--117.jpg

oh wait... they're gone. :ohno01:

on the yota ones. the inside latch get relocated to the top of the door and uses all the same linkage inside the door and the same latch.

just like on these tube doors... the latch handle is hard to see but it's right behind the cup holder:

rock-garden-4x4--130.jpg

same here:

johnson-valley-the-hammers-big-johnson-1007.jpg

yeah, my plans are to keep the outdoor handle in the same spot, and put the usually indoor handle embedded in the sheet metal that will be the armrest surface :-) incase i get those canvas covers, i wanna be able to open the door still :S

anywhoo... only the cj5'S are allowed to run without doors, because they were a factory OPTION.

One reason they get by with that stock is because of the high sill lip.

I just did half-doors out of plywood. Just have to figure out how to latch them. It's super ghetto, but whatever... I was bored. Once I have access to a spare set of doors, I'll chop em up and make them properly, like yours 87. I like the design of OSR's... Nice work.

I think ill go lower with the frontal part of the door if i do mine, vs 87, cause 87 is bigger than i am (taller) and in the pics of him driving, it looks like its a real chore to lean out of his half doors...

nope not at all. i can see everything with my half doors. (and they hold me in)

I'll find some more pictures of them.

DSCF1117.jpg

DSCF0675.jpg

DSCF0472.jpg

DSCF0477.jpg

DSCF0478.jpg

DSCF0400.jpg

after i found out where i wanted them, I took a sawszall to them. I cut out both sides down to where it gets flat.

On the flat top, I bent the outer portion of the door over and tacked it to the inner. Then i layed the sheet metal over the top of it all and welded it 100% up and down both sides.

the tops of the inners are welded in, but the bottom is screwed on, this way i can access the inside of the door to work on the mechanism if i ever need to.

My doors are strong as hell as well. I have smashed trees up against them and even though they dent in the bottom, the top of the half doors work amazing. don't dent and keep everybody inside safe.

the one issue i'll have, is i don't really have a welder O_o but from when i worked @ a local offroad shop, and had my grandpa in town, i learned how to weld tig and mig and oxy-acetylene...so if i can get someone to lend me a mig..but i was thinking maybe do the car battery stick weld, then grind it smooth, and bondo/fiberglass it all pretty

• 1 month later...
the law says you have to keep the orignal mechanism.

anywhoo... only the cj5'S are allowed to run without doors, because they were a factory OPTION.

In California you can run any cj yj tj and the new 4 door wranglers w/o doors so long as you got that mirror on the pillar. Then again California they do some mean mods so most cops don't say much anyhoo. On the other hand, I have seen guys build removable mud gards (to cover tires that stick out past the wheelwell) for their rigs just because in some counties the LEO's can use that to pull you over and then do a more thorough inspection.

e7147c57.jpg

In California you can run any cj yj tj and the new 4 door wranglers w/o doors so long as you got that mirror on the pillar. Then again California they do some mean mods so most cops don't say much anyhoo. On the other hand, I have seen guys build removable mud gards (to cover tires that stick out past the wheelwell) for their rigs just because in some counties the LEO's can use that to pull you over and then do a more thorough inspection.

e7147c57.jpg

yeah, I got to see the UA caravan in michigan, and all their apocalyptic buggies had sheet metal as a kind of fender over their open wheels.....pretty cool if i say so myself....