Good first upgrade?

bwyan

I have a '95 Pathfinder. I want to upgrade the suspention affordably and without any lift. I want to maintain a stock appearance. I am going to put a tranny coller in. I ordered step rails and brush guard. Now I'm looking for functional stuff. Where is a good start. Tell me what function your suggestion serves as I'm ignorant. I want her to be trail ready! :shrug:

I would guess learn the capabilities of your vehicles and improve on what you learn. When I got mine, I did a full tune up and it restored all the lost power. Then got a Tranny cooler, body lift, lift, tires and so on. Just keep good maintenance schedules and you'd be ok.

ive read around on few boards now that for people who want to start with one mod and want to get most bang for buck, the general trend is a traction mod over a lift mod

ie start with a good set of tyres - 31's easy for a pathy

or maybe a locker

however with all the stuff we know here you can do suspension and body lifts fairly cheaply so that might be the way to start with small outlay.

depends what you rather first

i say good tyres (cooper, bridgestone or even kumho mud terrains!!!!!!!) then suspension/body lift, then a locker for the rear diff

Once your Pathy is running well, tires are definately the biggest bang for your buck upgrade. You'll get the most difference in performance and ability to get places you couldn't before with a good set of all terrain or mud terrain tires.

Tires, then some JGC springs with a full coil cut off would be a good place to start, crank up the t-bars about an inch and install new shocks... You don't have to lift it a lot to get better performance and looks out of the stock setup. The shocks will help a lot if you still have old stock units installed.

• 2 weeks later...
I would guess learn the capabilities of your vehicles and improve on what you learn. When I got mine, I did a full tune up and it restored all the lost power. Then got a Tranny cooler, body lift, lift, tires and so on. Just keep good maintenance schedules and you'd be ok.

You mentioned "restore the lost power" anything perticular other than a tune up?...also what can I do to get better fuel economy?...BTW the truck only has 125,000 km's on it (80,000 miles) It has a K&N filter so far, I'm thinking about exhaust cuz it's gonna need it soon. All the hangers are rusted off :sniff:

also what can I do to get better fuel economy?...

There's lots of little things, but they will only get you to a point. These trucks are only good for about 18mpg (about 7.64km/liter?). Tune up including good plugs, clean air filters, proper tire pressure, remove any dead weight (extra cargo you don't need), a good oil change, etc. etc. These things will also help restore any lost power that comes from being out of peak shape.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bluetribal
first thing i did was a tuneup, then new 31" MTs, then Optima battery...that's it for now. MTs are amasing.... I've been wheeling a bunch lately too... :)

Can you go bigger than 31's if you lift it first or do you not need any bigger?

...BTW the truck only has 125,000 km's on it (80,000 miles) It has a K&N filter so far, I'm thinking about exhaust cuz it's gonna need it soon.

If he's considering exhaust anyway, couldn't he get the exhaust manifold studs replaced under the TSB then install headers? They will give him the gas milage and power increase he's looking for. If not headers, then at least get the studs replaced while it's still under the milage cutoff.

yep, they would have made me pay for mine, but after I looked through the repair history when i bought it, I learned that my truck had a new engine, including manifolds installed on in within 20 000 kms of use. The common leak on the manifolds was acutally the between the flanges on the crosspipe and manifold. The crosspipe had rusted out because of pressure on it due to broken hangars. You might want to check for rust damage underneath your driver's side floorboard. Damaged exhaust hangers will lead the pipe very close to the body underneath your feet, which causes premature rust if you don't repair the hangars!

Hmmm.... Perhaps thats why when I bought the truch it just had the exhaust manifold gasket fixed, new exhaust installed, and has a melted patch of floor board on the drivers side that I can see some day light thru... You think ?? LOL. At least the previous schlep payed for it, and not this one... Definitely going with headers and free flow cat soon.

Bernard