BLACK STEELIES?

I know I've stated in this forum that I'm gonna go with "Black Steel Wheels" for my truck.....I still haven't quite decided which ones thou. I've priced the Cragar, ProComp, & American Racing Are ALL Black Steelies Created Equal? I decided on the Round Circle Style 15 x 8.....Backspacing is a little different throghout....Some Have 3.75" and some have 4". Cragars seem to be the lowest in price @ $39.00 Then the Pro-comp @$65 and AR @ around $80-$90. :scratchhead:

I plan to put 32's on would the 3.75" BS help or hurt me in the rubbing department? Or would the 4" B.S. Be Better?

Edited by OfftourRoadie96

I know I've stated in this forum that I'm gonna go with "Black Steel Wheels" for my truck.....I still haven't quite decided which ones thou. I've priced the Cragar, ProComp, & American Racing Are ALL Black Steelies Created Equal? I decided on the Round Circle Style 15 x 8.....Backspacing is a little different throghout....Some Have 3.75" and some have 4". Cragars seem to be the lowest in price @ $39.00 Then the Pro-comp @$65 and AR @ around $80-$90. :scratchhead:

I plan to put 32's on would the 3.75" BS help or hurt me in the rubbing department? Or would the 4" B.S. Be Better?

Lower BS number = less rubbing. I have the AC lift and 16x8 wheels with 4.25" BS rubbed like crazy - even with 235 width 32" tires (235/85/16) since the tires were so tall that they rubbed on the upper part of the strut! Doh! Also rubbed on the inner fender when turning. I eventually got steel 16x7 with 3" BS custom made for $70 apiece and had a proper alignment done. Just had the 235s put back on the Pathfinder and there's a lot more room between tire and strut. Still rubs, but now only on a bit of the front fender trim when turning. A few inches of fender trimming should solve that problem.

US Wheel has a black 15x8 with the 6x5.5 Nissan bolt pattern and whatever backspacing you want for $67 on summitracing.com. That's a bit less than what I paid for my unpainted 16x8s. Mine arrived within 5-6 days.

Would strongly suggest getting an alignment done at a good place after you do the swap and put the new steelies on. My Pep Boys alignment was the fail. Had to pay a 2nd time for dealer alignment - but it was well worth it. Rubbing, camber and steering were all materially improved.

Edited by GoPathyGo

I have know idea which steelies I have, cause I traded a guy my stock rims for them a while back, but I kow mine are tough as hell. Last year when I had that blowout on the interstate I drove for like 3 or 4 miles on a flat tire until I could get to a decent neighborhood & there wasn't even a scratch on it much less dents or warping.

I run 15x8's with 3.68" of actual BS.

US Wheel has a black 15x8 with the 6x5.5 Nissan bolt pattern and whatever backspacing you want for $67 on summitracing.com. That's a bit less than what I paid for my unpainted 16x8s. Mine arrived within 5-6 days.

I got the US Wheels from Summit Racing about 2 years ago...I think I paid about $50 each. Daytona is the model, I believe, and I think I got the one with 3.75" BS. Good looking, tuff and affordable...and you can get a nice and shinny center cap for about $5 more.

Edited by arcano

I have a set of 15x10 Black Rock Crawlers on my Ex. Really like them. I think I would go with any on your list though, and pick the least expensive. They are all name brand. I liked the Rock Crawlers as they had a great buy on them along with Pro Comp Xterrain tires at the time. And I didnt like the "red line" around the rim other manufacturers had. They also claimed to be Made in the USA which I feel is important for offroading etc.

have you had a look at Blackrockswheels ? http://www.blackrockwheels.com/ they have a few models of black steelees and I basically fell in love with this model (though not a steel one) : viper series 900 tungsten...

wow they make some amazing looking rims! So if you have a 2" lift and you were to get a set if 32s. What would the ideal rim width be and backspacing? I'm asking about 1999.5+

wow they make some amazing looking rims! So if you have a 2" lift and you were to get a set if 32s. What would the ideal rim width be and backspacing? I'm asking about 1999.5+

I have a 1996 and plan to go with a 15x8 w/ 3.75" Back Spacing.....BUT check this link out, it might be helpful! Apparently there are issues withe the 1999.5 and up.

LINK about 15" Wheels

amerian eagle are the only good ones.

do not buy procrap wheels.

I bent 4 in the first 2 months i had them. I banged into a stump (not hard) and it bend the lip OUT about 2".

2003 Pathy with AC Lift + 32s (235/85/16). I went with 3" of backspacing. Lots of room now.

If you have a stock front bumper, you may need to trim the edge of the bumper and most likely will have to cut the fenders if you want to avoid rubbing. I cut my front fenders in the wheel well in half.

I have a 1996 and plan to go with a 15x8 w/ 3.75" Back Spacing.....BUT check this link out, it might be helpful! Apparently there are issues withe the 1999.5 and up.

LINK about 15" Wheels

saw that but it doesn't really have a solution to it other than going with a bigger wheel. I'd like to keep it to 15 if I can but I guess I can't.

2003 Pathy with AC Lift + 32s (235/85/16). I went with 3" of backspacing. Lots of room now.

If you have a stock front bumper, you may need to trim the edge of the bumper and most likely will have to cut the fenders if you want to avoid rubbing. I cut my front fenders in the wheel well in half.

thanks for the input

Parterner, you can't really go with a 15" rim cause it will rub the brake drums. You need to go with atleast a 16" rim. A 16x8 with 3.75-4" of BS will work for you.

Parterner, you can't really go with a 15" rim cause it will rub the brake drums. You need to go with atleast a 16" rim. A 16x8 with 3.75-4" of BS will work for you.

thank you, straight and to the point.

So the drums are also bigger on the 2nd gen R50s? I knew the front brake hardware was larger... :scratchhead:

Would a 15x10 4" BS wheel, fitted with a 33x12.5 tire clear the strut? Methinks a wheel spacer would be crucial for this to work.

Edited by tekazgtr1984

So the drums are also bigger on the 2nd gen R50s? I knew the front brake hardware was larger... :scratchhead:

Would a 15x10 4" BS wheel, fitted with a 33x12.5 tire clear the strut? Methinks a wheel spacer would be crucial for this to work.

Yo i run a 15x8 rim and it has plenty of room. a 33x 12.50 will not clear the strut, i have tried... a 31x10.50 is all you need to have a good looking r50.

mycarshow049.jpg

Edited by fisherdude

It should. Definetly would with a spacer. If my memory is correct Max ran a 35x14.50 on a 15x12 rim with no spacer & it worked.

Yo i run a 15x8 rim and it has plenty of room. a 33x 12.50 will not clear the strut, i have tried... a 31x10.50 is all you need to have a good looking r50.

Well, I plan on runnin 33x12.5 tires when I go through with a subframe drop so 15x10 wheels would be ideal; I'm just not sure what backspacing the wheels would need to clear the struts. Right now I'm running 32x10.5 tires on 15x8 4.75" BS wheels and there's still about a 1/2" of space between the meat and the strut.

It should. Definetly would with a spacer. If my memory is correct Max ran a 35x14.50 on a 15x12 rim with no spacer & it worked.

Thanks! I was looking at the Blackrock 909S alloy in a 15x10 and it only has one BS option: 4".

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku