What PSI should I run ?

EvilLex03

Yea it does say on the sidewall, but thats the MAX PSI, I dont want to run the max, do I ?

Probably close to, but not quite, max for on-road, and lower (or MUCH lower) off road, depending on if you're in mud, sand, etc.

shouldn'd you use the published pressure that is written in the door jamb?

Yea it does say on the sidewall, but thats the MAX PSI, I dont want to run the max, do I ?

Probably close to, but not quite, max for on-road, and lower (or MUCH lower) off road, depending on if you're in mud, sand, etc.

shouldn'd you use the published pressure that is written in the door jamb?

If you're running the same stock tires, then yeah, go by what Nissan says. If not, then you need to go by the tire manufacturer's specs as Nissan can't anticipate every combo of size, design, etc. that we'll put on a Pathy.

• 2 years later...
Whats the chalk line test?

we do this in auto x and road racing, its where you put a chalk line on the sidewall to the tread, then you turn it rubs off the chalk so you can see how much sidewall flex it has. but i think the means put a chalk line all the way across the tread and make sure the whole tread is touching.

Draw a chalk line across the tread. Drive forward several car lengths and then stop. Examine the line on the tire. If your line is worn off only across the outer edges of the tread, you need more pressure. If the line is worn off across the center only, your pressure is too high. Look for the line to wear off evenly for best pressure settings.

on mini me's 31's i run 38lbs (max is 45lbs..vurry harsh ride) and off road i air down to 25lbs. on king caca's 33's i run 32lbs (max is 35lbs) and off road i air down to 20lbs.

my '90 calls for 26 PSI

typically when a sidewall calls for a max of 44 PSI you should use between 30 and 35.

tons of people put 44 PSI in their tires, and it frustrates me cause i am constantly lower the pressure. running at 44 PSI you will mess up the tread on your tires.

inside of your door there will be a sticker that says the recommend pressure from the manufacturer

For future reference if anyone else reads this Post,

Recommended Tire PSI for STOCK tires can be found in your Owners Manual.

If your running anything larger then Stock, and you want the best Wear out of your Brand Spanking New Tires that you paid a small fortune for, then Check out what the Tire Manufacturer recommends for that style and size tire.

Under Normal Driving Situations (Not Offroading)

If your running a Radial Tire,

Over Inflation- causes tires to ride hard and are more likely to be affected by road shocks, aand of course will lead to Center Tread Wear

Under Inflation- under daily driving situations, causes abnormal tire deflection, which builds up significantly more heat and of course will lead to Sidewall wear.

If your running a Bias Ply Tire for some reason, Same rules apply as above but understand you generate MUCH more heat while under inflated cause the Tire Construction is a very rigid design and does not allow for a great deal of flexability.

Hope that helps anyone in Future.

Dowser

Edited by Dowser

Each tire brand and model is specific. Look on the tires, not the manual.

Actually, Thats not entirely accurate but is mostly true. From what I'm learning at School Right now, which is First Year Automotive and Heavy Duty Mechanics at NAIT, (Northern Alberta Institute for Technology) If your Running STOCK sized Tires, your supposed to use the vehicle manufacturer's specs for PSI ratings regardless of Tire Brand.

Anything outside the STOCK sizing and your supposed to use Tire Manufacturer's Specs. This is because by adding larger then stock tires your already messing with what the Vehicle Manufacturer Designed for the specific vehicle and you wont be able to keep it within any of the official Specs anyway so then it makes no difference.

I say this only cause if your going to keep your STOCK tires on and you go in for an Alignment, The very first thing you do is check for Tire Pressure in all 4 tires according to Factory spec, since the technicion will be going by Nissan's specs and Factory PSI is needed. Thats why I said,

Recommended Tire PSI for STOCK tires can be found in your Owners Manual.

If your running anything larger then Stock, and you want the best Wear out of your Brand Spanking New Tires that you paid a small fortune for, then Check out what the Tire Manufacturer recommends for that style and size tire.

Just being Accurate.

Dowser :oops:

Edited by Dowser

his thornbirds are bias ply tires. regardless of tire size, its recomended to run them lower than a radial tire. i run my tsls at 22psi on the street and they are wearing well. however, in the 4"+ snow/ice/slush i have up here right now, i dropped them down to 10psi front and rear and am getting pretty good traction. plus its fun to do powerslides with my lincoln locked rear!