Begin head gasket change tues

beastpath

How does it run though? When you drove it did it have the usual power or less? If the timing was off, you would have less power, and I believe if its off by 3 or more teeth the valves and pistons start playing tag.

power felt fine when i drove it round the block

If it was out of time and the valve hit the piston...after hte 1st hit you won't hear the impact anymore....it bends the valve and it doesnt touch the piston anymore...I had 3 bent valves and no noise but it was well under powered...

Other than that I really cant tell what is making the noise and I can suggest pulling off all the accessory belts and cranking it to see if the noise is still there...don't run it very long like that b/c you will drain the battery down and could over heat it but thats like 5-10 mins or more...but if you pull all the belts and don't have the noise then its related to one of the accessories...if its still there i'd try to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from and if its coming from the timing belt cover i'd go ahead and pull it and check the tensioner...

yeah, it didnt stop after the first few clangs, so im guessing its not timing....especially as i was really careful and triple checked everything before i tightened everything, and turned the engine over manually to check for binding(there was none)

yeah, ill do as you suggest and try without accessory belts etc.

i need to catch a break here... :mellow:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like plate metal (as opposed to sheet metal like a heat shield)

The first thing that comes to mind is the tensioner assembly. When you tighten the belt via the bolthead on top of the bracket, did you remember to then tighten the bolt through the pulley to hold it in place? Same with the power steering... there's the adjustment bolt then the lock bolt.

If it goes away without the AC, PS and ALT belts, reintroduce them one at a time to see which one is causing the issue. Leave the fan off to protect your fingers and, when the noise comes back, use a mechanics stethescope or stick a piece of tubign in your ear and probe around for the source.

• 2 weeks later...

so, today i finally had time to look at the engine and check the noise.

used a mechanics stethescope and figured out the noise was coming from the ac tensioner bracket. there are three bolts that attach this to the engine, and i was missing one causing it to vibrate and rub against another piece of metal. so a trip to ace and 65cents later and no more noise!!

still have the lifter tick, am kicking myself for not changing a few of them out while I was in there, but thankfully they are on the passenger side head so ill just have to do that soon. and still need to get my header connecting pipe welded, but apart from that she sounds goood.

thanks again to everyone. you all helped me through this, especially at times when i thought i was in over my head and should give up. you truly are wonderful people.