'95 XE Headlights

antpathy

Hey Guys, quick question

My passenger side headlight has a dirty appearance (not so much dim) so I thought I would take it out and clean it up inside and reinstall. I noticed what looks like clips holding the glass to the grey plastic body of the headlight assembly. I carefully popped the clips off thinking I would just clean the inside of the glass and polish up the inside of the reflective back.

Now what I need to know is how to seperate the two halves, after getting the clips of it seems the glass is glued to the grey plastic back half. Is this the case? Because I didn't want to pry the thing apart fo fear of breaking something.

If anyone else has tried this I'd love some input....................

:shrug:

yep they're "glued" together...I think your best shot is to spray a cleaner in through the headlight hole let it soak and rinse it out...

That's pretty much what I thought I'd have to do. I was hoping I could get away with not having to take the whole assembly out.

Thanks

what I normally do is cook it in the oven to where it heats up the glue and pull apart.. you can try polishing the backside (inside) if any luck. If moisture got in, it'll eat up the chromy-ness.

What I ended up doing was boiling the kettle and pouring it in with some mother's chrome polish the shook it up for a while rinsed it out and left it in the dishrack to dry out. It came out like brand new!

Thanks for all the suggestions :itsallgood:

Love to hear where you get after market headlights from for these trucks. The originals are a PITA IMHO. the rubber boots at the back of them do not seal properly. I have tried to silicone grease mine to prevent water ingress. I have even placed a silicone rubber tube in the breather part, siliconed it in place, and ran the tube to a small plastic container with those gel beads in it that absorb water. It has helped, but still the water gets in.