what do you think of these rims ?

FUELER

i can get a great deal on these, 17x9 mounted with BFG mud-terrain 255/75/17 (32"x10)

what do you think of the rim style

1972-M.jpg

Edited by FUELER

em it would probably be too crazy to ship these to TX plus i already got a solid offer on em locally..... but they are 16x8 with 4.5 bs

the new ones would be 17x9 with same 4.5 BS so overall they would "stick out" an inch farther

or should i go less backspace and go with a wheel that REALLY sticks out?!?!

ya thats another thing. im wondering if i should get a rim with less backspacing. 3.75 to 4 might be better but again, its a 9 inch wide rim versus the stock 7 inch wide rim.... i dont wanna stress the hubs out

But your not worried that they will rub now? I think the hubs will be fine. Your not running massive tires on them so they'll be fine (remember when tyler had 35's on his?).

But i think you might end up needing a spacer to clear the strut or prevent rubbing.

the new ones would be 17x9 with same 4.5 BS so overall they would "stick out" an inch farther

or should i go less backspace and go with a wheel that REALLY sticks out?!?!

Mine are 16X8 with 4" backspace. Between the extra inch width and backspace, I have issue with larger tires without cutting a bunch out. I know you have already taken steps to this, but a 9" wide 17" with 4.5 BS and a 32" tire!! How will you do it Batman!! :ph33r:

Not sure that would even work on mine.

backspacing is just the distance from the WMS (wheel mounting surface) to the inner lip. so on a 9in wide wheel, 4.5in BS puts the WMS square in the center of the wheel. that means the outer face of the wheel will be 4.5in from the WMS. compared to an 8in wide wheel with 4in BS, this 9in wheel will stick out 0.5in further (4.5in vs. 4.0in). comparatively, an 8in wide wheel with 3.5in BS will stick out the same distance as the 9in wheel.

Thanks! Now I know how to figure this out. :aok:

So, right now I've got 16x8 with 4.75" BS, which pretty much sit flush with my flares. If I were to go with a 15x10, I'd need like a 6" BS...? :scratchhead:

Mine are 16X8 with 4" backspace. Between the extra inch width and backspace, I have issue with larger tires without cutting a bunch out. I know you have already taken steps to this, but a 9" wide 17" with 4.5 BS and a 32" tire!! How will you do it Batman!! :ph33r:

Not sure that would even work on mine.

hahahaaaaaa - its already done and sitting in front of my house.

it involved a lot of cutting and a significant amount of bashing with a steel mallet..... it only rubs a little bit now :crossedwires:

pics sometime soon

So, right now I've got 16x8 with 4.75" BS, which pretty much sit flush with my flares. If I were to go with a 15x10, I'd need like a 6" BS...? :scratchhead:

first of all 15x10 is very wide. but im sure it can be done.

6" BS will never clear the strut. you want the BS to be no more than 4.5 - any larger of a number and the tire will touch the strut. most R50 owners get the best results with 3.75 to 4 inches of backspacing..... the smaller the number, the more they will stick out. of course this is affected by width too

my stock rims were 7" wide with a 4.5 BS

my second rims were 8" wide with a 4.5 BS so the rim was actually in the same spot on the inside but stuck out an inch farther on the outside

my newest rims are 9" wide with a 4.5 BS..... so they STILL the same orientation (if you ignore rim diameter) on the inside but stick out 2" farther than stock, on the outside

basically, on this SUV, stick to BS between 3.5 and 4.5 (with those being the two extremes) you should be fine.

I think they're ugly. :tongue:

and honestly.... i think they might be ugly too.... i cant tell anymore haha thats why i ask u guys

it looks ridiculous on my car

and honestly.... i think they might be ugly too.... i cant tell anymore haha thats why i ask u guys

it looks ridiculous on my car

Dude I've been going through the same battle for the past 2 months. Right when you think you've got it down either you find something better or your taste changes.

Billy

are those 20s?

I thought he said 17x9... :scratchhead:

Wouldn't 20's be huge in those wells? And thus, totally whack. There's a guy here in Winnipeg with an early-gen R50, chameleon painted with 22's... I laugh whenever I see it.