Damages by 265 x 75 x16

TheCrow

Well I had my 265 x 75 x 16 on my FJ for 5000km they were looking small on the FJ , so I upgraded the FJ into 33”All Terrain and decided to have the 31”Dunlops that came with the FJ on my R50 without having a lift on it . ( Following ALex hint )

They fitted but the rubbing was hard in the front so I had to remove the Mud guards .

At full steering I was still getting some rubbing on the from bumper but nothing serious .

I took it offroading this Friday and when I was flexing on unlevelled ground this was the result the bumper got pushed out of its place .

DSC02697.jpg

Take a closer look

DSC02726.jpg

The difference was very clear during offroad Paty was taking Paths that were a No No with the small 255 x 65 x 16 .

Well I think you can getaway with 31” without a lift on the tarmac but if you intend to go offroad then at least an 1” lift would be necessary and a 2” would be ideal .

For when you are out wheeling, one common option is to remove the rear bumper. It'll give the 31's a little extra clearance as well as improve your departure angle. Of course, lifting your R50 will further improve clearance. :D

It looks like the damage to your bumper is minimal but that isn't saying much. Did the bracket snap or did it just pop out from the tire? :scratchhead:

Well I had my 265 x 75 x 16 on my FJ for 5000km they were looking small on the FJ , so I upgraded the FJ into 33”All Terrain and decided to have the 31”Dunlops that came with the FJ on my R50 without having a lift on it . ( Following ALex hint )

They fitted but the rubbing was hard in the front so I had to remove the Mud guards .

At full steering I was still getting some rubbing on the from bumper but nothing serious .

I took it offroading this Friday and when I was flexing on unlevelled ground this was the result the bumper got pushed out of its place .

DSC02697.jpg

Take a closer look

DSC02726.jpg

The difference was very clear during offroad Paty was taking Paths that were a No No with the small 255 x 65 x 16 .

Well I think you can getaway with 31” without a lift on the tarmac but if you intend to go offroad then at least an 1” lift would be necessary and a 2” would be ideal .

I had a similar experience with 255s. Require enough flex and the brackets will bend. I have a little bit of bumper damage on the passenger side from a berm. One of the reasons I'm going with pizza cutters (235/85s) is to get my Pathfinder as high off the ground as possible (eliminating the whole bracket thing) without going to 265s (rub issues and so on). There are other reasons but this was one of 'em. For reference, a 235/85 will get you essentially the same rubber height as a 265/75 - 7.86" vs 7.82" on the wider tire - and essentially the same overall height as a 265/75 - 31.7" vs 31.6" on the wider tire. Sure, it doesn't look as cool but for my purposes - mud, burrowing through stuff, lower rolling resistance, reduced rotating mass, easier on steering components blah blah blah - it works. But for purposes where wider IS better - wider contact patch and so on - the 265s are the way to go. All depends on your priorities.

As an aside, this is an interesting thread on toyotanation.com on tires. Putting aside all the various biases, some useful info. Check out Post #6 - not sure I agree with everything but brings up some points to think about.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270268

Also on 4wd.com. I particularly like Posts #5 and #6. :sly:

http://jeep-forums.4wd.com/showthread.php?p=147500

Cheers,

GPG.

The reason why your bumper popped out of the plastic bracket is because your tire contacted the mud flap. Even if you had a lift, the same thing would happen, because your tire is stuffed in the wheel well. Instead of removing the entire rear bumper as advised above, simply remove the mud flaps.

And what is a Fred Chair ???

Hahahaha those are colonel Fred Chairs , foldable and very comfy

Edited by TheCrow

The reason why your bumper popped out of the plastic bracket is because your tire contacted the mud flap. Even if you had a lift, the same thing would happen, because your tire is stuffed in the wheel well. Instead of removing the entire rear bumper as advised above, simply remove the mud flaps.

Really? I have mudflaps and 32's with the 2" coils and my bumper has yet to come off... :scratchhead:

Really? I have mudflaps and 32's with the 2" coils and my bumper has yet to come off... :scratchhead:

But you also have the 96-99 R50. We have more bumper clearance because we don't have those pretty boy flares coming so far into the wheel well.

I ripped off my bumper like 2 years ago & have never put it back on (actually the little black plstic is just a cover, there is a big ugly piece of metal underneath). I say take it off & just join the other couple of us that run no rear bumper. Trust me you won't regret it.

For when you are out wheeling, one common option is to remove the rear bumper. It'll give the 31's a little extra clearance as well as improve your departure angle. Of course, lifting your R50 will further improve clearance. :D

It looks like the damage to your bumper is minimal but that isn't saying much. Did the bracket snap or did it just pop out from the tire? :scratchhead:

It Just Poped Out , with more wheelin the R50 is getting lighter , first off with the side steps , Mud Guards and now with the suggestion to remove the bumper hehehe I'll be street illegal

XPLORx4 , you’re right the mud guards in the back needs to be removed too but at flex it will still rub against the bumper and the fender flares a lift is much needed now

Hahahaha to the Boy flares

fskcinitupagain

I would love to remove this back piece of plastic but then I will become street illegal , more so I would love to increase my departure angle and have an ARB bumper there but they don’t have a dealer here , the closest dealer is in UAE and they are very very very inefficient not to say something else

BowTied , those are 16” I had replaced my factory rims with these ones .

01Silvapathy :beer:

how sure are you they're 16s?

those wheels are 17s, and FJ Cruisers only come with 17s. like BowTied said, a 265/75/17 is nearly a 33in tire. i test-fit some 32in TSLs on my Pathy and at full flex they did not rub at all in the rear.

How sure ? very sure .

I am the owner of the those two vehicles and i know what size of rims and tires i have on them .

FJ comes with 16" wheels and those wheels i have on my Paty are 16" no question about it .

Edited by TheCrow

Who was Colonel Fred ? Different from the KFC Colonel, I hope ???

Thanks for clearing that up. One of the rare occasions google was no help.

I have no idea , but i know that the chairs are comfy :happy:

Edited by TheCrow

Crow is located in a different land...they have different factory rims....he also has the ability to own an incredible turbo patrol where he is located!!

Well said