U.P.S. stopped by today

morpheus

So UPS came by today and left me ....

DSCN1006.JPG

and inside I found...

DSCN1007.JPG

my late b-day present to myself... my ac springs...

My 1" spacers should arrive tomorrow, and I'm all set to go.

How many people have installed 2" AC coils with 1" strut spacers but not done any spacing with the back springs???

Does it just bring the truck level? Or does the front sit a little higher?

I'm thinking I should try to figure out a rear spring spacer too.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking I should try to figure out a rear spring spacer too.

Buy another set of stops. Cut the rubber off the old ones, and mount the new ones against them. This will give you another inch or so. Might need new bolts, but I'm not sure.

Haven't actually see this, but I've been told it can be done.

If you install the spacer up front your rig will sit level. Otherwise it'll have the raked, tow-truck look... Like mine:

Spacers would be a nice way to even out the ride. :aok:

I'm just worried that without rear spacers that the front will actually sit higher than the rear.

I have 3/4 front spacers with AC springs and am level. I have 3 12" Infinity Subs in the back in a box also...sometimes the rear look just slightly lower. I have factory rear shocks too so this is also a weak point for sitting level.

If you install the spacer up front your rig will sit level. Otherwise it'll have the raked, tow-truck look... Like mine:

DSC06901.jpg

Spacers would be a nice way to even out the ride. :aok:

Dude, noone wants to see a tow truck, get it out of here!

and Morpheus, good deal man, definitely post up pics of it...

Didn't get much done today besides take my BEFORE pics:

And get the new front struts mounted up to the springs:

DSCN1014.JPG

I just noticed that you already had your struts setup to install, but are awaiting your spacers? I saw that you had your bolts loose in your top spring mount so I'm going to make the assumption that you are going to install the spacer on top of the strut?

Obviously this is entirely your choice, but as a fellow fabricator / supplier of strut spacers, I'm going to recommend that you don't install the spacer on top of the strut. Rather, it should be installed between the upper and lower strut mount.

Why? This will maintain the upper and lower limits of the strut travel, effectively keeping the cv angles within a more tolerable operating range as per oem design limits. Placing it on top moves those limits down by 1", which may not seem like a lot, but from experience, I was stubborn installed it on top and blew my passenger side cv.

I don't want to see anyone break down due to something I can prevent is all.

I have install instructions that I supply to my customers, I can forward on if you wish.

Hope it helps.... not trying to be a pest... :my2cents:

J.

I just noticed that you already had your struts setup to install, but are awaiting your spacers? I saw that you had your bolts loose in your top spring mount so I'm going to make the assumption that you are going to install the spacer on top of the strut?

Obviously this is entirely your choice, but as a fellow fabricator / supplier of strut spacers, I'm going to recommend that you don't install the spacer on top of the strut. Rather, it should be installed between the upper and lower strut mount.

Why? This will maintain the upper and lower limits of the strut travel, effectively keeping the cv angles within a more tolerable operating range as per oem design limits. Placing it on top moves those limits down by 1", which may not seem like a lot, but from experience, I was stubborn installed it on top and blew my passenger side cv.

I don't want to see anyone break down due to something I can prevent is all.

I have install instructions that I supply to my customers, I can forward on if you wish.

Hope it helps.... not trying to be a pest... :my2cents:

J.

Im not sure were your talking about installing the spacer but Im about to install on top of the strut could you email install instructions to me?

What is the difference between the strut boot kit / bump stops between the two pictured ????? Do you have part numbers for either one?...I'm gonna replace mine with lift install. Should any of the strut rod be showing after install with the combined boot cover w/ attached bump stop, does it stay up on its own? I noticed that the other one comes in two pieces.

So I guess that's the difference between the NX4 and the Snake Racing spacers.....The

NX4 spacer sandwiches in between and the Snake Racing spacer mounts at the top???

It would appear that you are correct. I can't comment on the Snake Racing install directions.

You could mount mine either way... But it depends on how much you want to push the CV joints. Here's my personal opinion. For my 01, I wouldn't care if they were on top because the odds of it running with one wheel off the ground except for here and there are minimal. Now for my 97, I will not mount them on top, as I have already lost 1 cv joint, and I put that rig in the air, and frequently have wheels air ridding when running through old creek beds to get fishing or through awesome muddy skidder trails.

Sorry, but I don't follow you...

I can see there would be issues if a spacer was installed between the top of the spring and the bottom of the mount (doubt anyone makes such a thing for the struts anyway)...but I'm not sure the difference between installing between the 2 sections of the mount, or on top. It would seem to me this is effectively the same. The spacer is still adding a height to the top of the strut without changing the strut / spring specs (ie like something extending the strut). And buy this, it would seem the height would be offset by a more severe CV angle.

I'm not an expert at this, it's just based on my limited experience.

infinqx4,

i think that the spacer on top would drop the whole strut down an inch (or however big the spacer is)

now, the other way that daddyrim just posted, is more like adding the spacer to the coil. the top of the strut ends up in the factory position so the wheel cant drop farther than OEM specs

personally im wondering how this would handle.... AC springs already have a reputation for "topping out" horrendously, i cant imagine how the suspension would behave with a 1" spacer installed between the upper and lower mounts. The suspension will probably ride at its maximum extension, creating funny handling characteristics, no???

Fueler, if you think the AC coils are bad, try the OME HD coils... Sure they're stiff and allow for great handling, but sh*t, I top out on inch-high ruts... Hopefully spacers and a 110lb. bumper will help soften 'em up. :lol:

I understand this concept of where the spacer is located in relation to how the CV axle sits along with the strut extension. NX4's model really does a good job to alleviate stress on the CV axles and struts. :aok:

Fueler, if you think the AC coils are bad, try the OME HD coils...

I just installed OME HD coils last weekend and they ride pretty smooth, havent topped them out once yet ????

and im riding with no bumper, no winch.

I did research when buying my coils and the general consensus is that the AC springs are much stiffer? they are much taller too. (which is why i bought the OME's)

Edited by FUELER

this is what i do not understand, why out of all the struts out there, and all the strut manufacturers out there, is there not an identical strut for a r50 that is about an inch or two longer, this would nearly cure the "topping out" sensation and make for a better ride....

I just installed OME HD coils last weekend and they ride pretty smooth, havent topped them out once yet ????

and im riding with no bumper, no winch.

I did research when buying my coils and the general consensus is that the AC springs are much stiffer? they are much taller too. (which is why i bought the OME's)

Yup, the AC coils tend to give a less raked look than the OME. But needless to say, they ride great. I think it's just my city's sh*tty-ass roads, loaded with ruts and divets and bumps... :thumbsdown:

infinqx4,

i think that the spacer on top would drop the whole strut down an inch (or however big the spacer is)

now, the other way that daddyrim just posted, is more like adding the spacer to the coil. the top of the strut ends up in the factory position so the wheel cant drop farther than OEM specs

personally im wondering how this would handle.... AC springs already have a reputation for "topping out" horrendously, i cant imagine how the suspension would behave with a 1" spacer installed between the upper and lower mounts. The suspension will probably ride at its maximum extension, creating funny handling characteristics, no???

Okay, so I get it now...But in that case, the strut is extended further. I agree about riding at maximum extension. If it's on top, the strut remains closer to OEM length, unless except of course where the coils add additional length. I thought the key was to keep the strut as close to spec for ride, etc. If it's overextended, the strut issues come into play. Six-of-one though as the other extreme brings additional CV stress.

My setup has worked great so far. Just got back from some pretty tough trails and have yet to top out the struts. And trust me, it would have topped out today for sure. I'll post some pics in another topic.

OK, here's my $0.02...and sorry for the long post.

First of all, I have an OME lift with HD springs up front. I also have full black panther skids, and a Warn bull bar with a winch and lights, wich add significant weight to the front. It added up to a bit over 1" lift up front before any spacers. The rear settled to about 1" higher.

So, a while ago I got 3/4" strut spacers, and had the same dilema about the installation. I could install the spacer "on top" of the whole strut assembly, which would increase my suspension's maximum extension by 3/4" and put extra stress on the CV joints; or I could install the spacer "sandwiched" between the strut mount and the strut plate (the part that has the pressed-on bolts) to presserve the maximum extension and help the CV joints. Obvoiusly the second alternative semed better, so I installed the spacers between the strut mount and the strut plate.

It worked fine...for a while. Turns out the strut mount is made of two halfs, held together by hard rubber. I found out the hard way that the strut plate needs to be installed right bellow the mount, in order to support the center section, where the strut bolts to. By placing the spacer between the strut mount and the strut plate, the center part of the mount is "pulled" down through the spacer when the suspension tops out.

After a few weeks the suspension started making strange noises, and in a couple of months the strut mounts were completly destroyed. When I took the front suspension appart one of the mounts actually came out in two halfs! So, I got new mounts and reinstalled the spacers "on top". No problems ever since...although I have manual hubs, and I take it slow when in 4WD, so the suspension does not top-out under full torque and blows a CV.

I hope this helps anyone...

Edited by arcano

It worked fine...for a while. Turns out the strut mount is made of two halfs, held together by hard rubber. I found out the hard way that the strut plate needs to be installed right bellow the mount, in order to support the center section, where the strut bolts to. By placing the spacer between the strut mount and the strut plate, the center part of the mount is "pulled" down through the spacer when the suspension tops out.

After a few weeks the suspension started making strange noises, and in a couple of months the strut mounts were completly destroyed. When I took the front suspension appart one of the mounts actually came out in two halfs! So, I got new mounts and reinstalled the spacers "on top". No problems ever since...although I have manual hubs, and I take it slow when in 4WD, so the suspension does not top-out under full torque and blows a CV.

Wow, that hasn't happened to me thus far... over 40K of hard mudding and skidder trails... But this does warrant further investigation. Thanks for sharing your results!