I need recovery points!

G'day all!

So, I have issues... RECOVERY issues!

So this is whats left of my front recovery hook. It was snapped before I bought it

frontrecoverysmall.jpg

fronthookedgesmall.jpg

& here's what I have on the back of the DuckTruck. Its a Hayman Reese Towbar... that I never use.

towbarsmall.jpg

So,

1. Any suggestions where I can get a couple of recovery hooks for the front?

2. Is it suitable to swap the towball for a shackle to use for snatch recoveries?

--DuckMan.

you can get replacement front tow hooks from 4x4parts.com and use a shackle in your hitch. you could remove the ball and mount the shackle in the hole, or buy a special hitch that slides into the receiver. personally I just use a 5/8 grade-8 bolt to secure the strap eye inside the receiver itself.

you can get replacement front tow hooks from 4x4parts.com and use a shackle in your hitch. you could remove the ball and mount the shackle in the hole, or buy a special hitch that slides into the receiver. personally I just use a 5/8 grade-8 bolt to secure the strap eye inside the receiver itself.

Only one problem, its not a receiver type hitch looking at the pic. I am looking at rear recovery points at the moment, will possible end up losing the rear bumper or designing a replacement that allows a hith to pass through it and mount onto the frame.

you can get replacement front tow hooks from 4x4parts.com

He's in Australia, so even if they would ship there, it might not be worth the cost.

A wrecking yard for a replacement hook perhaps? You can get a second one and mount it to the other frame rail too :aok:

The factory recovery chains came with a shackle that uses an oval shaped pin;

this pin is for the 2 tie-downs in back, unless your hitch is using them.

a bolt or regular shalckle can be used but it will deform the tie-down slightly but it will NOT render it useless.

Or a hook in my case; never let another guy hook up your recovery equipment lol

The factory shipping tie downs are not good recovery points, Mz's almost got torn clean off at Haspin Acres when we tried to winch him by it.

I would replace the front factory hook, and add a second on the other side (alternate if you have 90s era Chevy full size trucks, theirs will also bolt up IIRC). And for the rear I would either upgrad to a class 3 hitch (square receiver) and get a shackle mount for it, or bolt some hooks to the frame rail in the rear.