removing carpet...

beastpath

I was attempting to run wiring today and needed to pull up the carpeting. For the life of me I could not figure out how to unscrew the screws bolting the piece of plastic down which secures the carpet and acts as a semi non-slick surface when you climb into the truck. The screws seem to have little clip washers that pop into place that prevent the screws from actually being unscrewed.

I tried popping them out, but was bending the metal underneath a bit so stopped. Is there a trick to this?

From memory they are screws, but plastic ones. So if you push on then too hard they click back in. Try putting very little pressure on them and unscrewing them :aok:

BTW they are a PITA P...

you can also just take a screw driver on the side of them and pull the carpet out. the dor jams are felable to a extent. thats what i do i dont evwen bother unscrewing them. if i have small wires i just pull up the side and sick it under there there. normally there is enough room so it lays flat unless your running a thick 4+guage wire under there then it wont lay as flat. I have wired about 23 cars thats wire for stereo. only one we actually went under the carpet was when we had 1guage wire

They can be a pain unless you know the tricks. Take a box knife and barely stick it under the edge of the head then slightly lift it up til it pops it's little head up then pull them out with needle nose pliers or similar. I like using the sharp blade better than the flat head screw driver because it too can be a paint to get in there. They are very easy if you get it down to a science like I've got. I have had every one in the truck out several times doing all kinds of wiring.

-Colby

you mean the little panels in the jambs? try maby sticking a small flathead underneath the head of the screw as you turn it to loosen it?

I think our 2drs are differant. Mine def. have black painted steel screws that come right out of the nylon nutserts in the door jamb when I turn em. Had to trace ecu, tail-light & old speaker wires and they backed right out