The funny things you find

MaritimeMan

Not sure how many of us out there are original owners of our Pathy's but this is something you all may understand. BTW, bought mine used.

Just another day of turnin wrenches, cleaning, and foolin around on her. As some of you may know, I have been having a problem with the door locks popping out of place, in both directions. In an attempt to locate the origin of this problem, I started with the driver door, took the panel off, and began snooping around. Now since I bought her, the driver side keyway has been a bit loose towards the bottom, and you could move it around a bit. This resulted in a bit of play in the linkage and once inspected from the inside, the bottom tab was broken off. Inspection of the passenger side showed top and bottom tabs intact.

OK no problem so far, did a quick fix, tightened things up, locks seem to be working fine. As I was putting the panel back on, I noticed shards of glass in the inner lip of the panel, just under the window. There were about 12 of them or so, about the size of match heads.

Now periodicalyin the past while cleaning the interior, I had found similar pieces, but never thought much of them. Now with this toolin around, I figure while the previous owner had it, some one tried poppin the outter door lock from the bottom to no sucess, and just bashed the window in. Dunno if it was stolen or just robbed, kinda makes me want to check it out further. Or just let it go, its mine now.

On a side note, the previous owner was from the Tri Cities area, so this theory makes even more sense.

Heh, the funny things you find.

Tri-Cities? IF you are talking about Tri-Cities Washington, then it was probably broken into.

I found the same thing under the backseat of my Pathy, it was full of broken glass. I just cleaned it out and forgot about it.

• 1 year later...

Maritime Man-

I think I may have developed a similar problem with the door locks on my '91 this week. I can turn the key but it doesn't engage the lock mechanism. Neither doorlock works so I have a funky string on pulleys rigged up from the rear hatch. Not classy. If this is the same problem you encountered, can you advise before I tear the door apart?

I can unlock all my doors manually.. but when I use my remote (had alarm installed with remote to arm alarm and open/close locks) NOTHING. My central locking just will....not.....work anymore. It came back fro 3 days about 6 weeks ago.. but has been dead since then.. and it's really pissin me off.... :X

I can unlock all my doors manually.. but when I use my remote (had alarm installed with remote to arm alarm and open/close locks) NOTHING. My central locking just will....not.....work anymore. It came back fro 3 days about 6 weeks ago.. but has been dead since then.. and it's really pissin me off....  :X

Slick,

I had the same problem a while back...

When I first bought the truck it would lock the doors but not unlock them :crazy:

Then it would come and go. Sometimes they would work as described above and sometimes not. Then one day it worked for both locking and unlocking. Couple day’s later.. nothing worked :shrug:

I decided it was time to figure it out, I located and tested the "relay" (of sorts) in the side panel just behind the drivers door... but it was OK. I even got a replacement from a wrecking yard… same problems/nothing fixed.

So I then did some research and iirc I found the info I was looking for on the WD21Forums ( :aok: Aaron) and decided to check out the controller/switch in the drivers door. That solved the problem.

Seems Pathy's have some issues regarding that item. Either it's of bad design or it was not assembled correctly... either way I found it, corrected it (the printed circuit board was miss-aligned) and I have had zero problem with the locks ever since. ;)

Edited by RedPath88

i bought my pathy from a teacher at my high school. when i pulled up the carpet for my first real cleanin' i found a bunch of broken glass but just figured someone had busted his window in before. then, while removing the backseats i found 200 bucks. now, buyin' my pathy for 1400 bucks and findin' 200 bucks makes it only 1200. not bad, if u ask me! ;)