Backspacing and wheels

EmptyV

[DISCLAIMER] I did a search and didn't find the answer.

So I'm looking at wheels and found one that I think I like and it's got a backspacing of 3.75". From what I've read it seems that the lower the number the farther the wheel sticks out, is this correct?

Will a 3.75" BS work with the standard 2" lift?

Thanks guys!

Billy

So I'm looking at wheels and found one that I think I like and it's got a backspacing of 3.75". From what I've read it seems that the lower the number the farther the wheel sticks out, is this correct?

Thanks guys!

Billy

yes and yes.

Thanks guys!

Billy

Yes, your first question is correct. The smaller the amount of backspacing, the closer the inside edge of the wheel is to the wheel mounting surface, which correlates to the farther "out" the wheel will stick from the wheel hub.

To clarify, a 3.75" backspacing will work even without the lift. 3.75" backspacing may not be necessary unless you're trying to clear 32" tall tires. If you're only going to a 31" tire, you don't need to space the wheel out that far, and the stock wheels will work.

What tire size are you planning on running?

What size are the wheels that you're going to run?

I thought I explained this pretty well over on NICO but I guess not :shrug: ...

Sorry I must have missed that thread.

Yes, your first question is correct. The smaller the amount of backspacing, the closer the inside edge of the wheel is to the wheel mounting surface, which correlates to the farther "out" the wheel will stick from the wheel hub.

To clarify, a 3.75" backspacing will work even without the lift. 3.75" backspacing may not be necessary unless you're trying to clear 32" tall tires. If you're only going to a 31" tire, you don't need to space the wheel out that far, and the stock wheels will work.

What tire size are you planning on running?

What size are the wheels that you're going to run?

Thanks! I'm planning on running either 275-75-15's or 32-11.5-15's.

I went to Big-O tires on friday to see if I could get a price on these rims:

are-39856873_w.jpg

Dude at the desk called someone regarding availability and told me that my calipers would rub, does this sound right? Can I get wheel spacers to fix this issue or maybe grind down the calipers? Here's the specs:

Rim Diameter (in): 15 in.

Rim Width (in): 8.00 in.

Backspacing (in): 3.750 in.

Offset (mm): -19.00mm

Wheel Material: Aluminum

Wheel Finish: Teflon®

Wheel Construction: 1-piece

Beadlock Included: No

Beadlock Functional: No

Lug Nut Seat Style: Conical seat - 60 degree

Lug Nut Shank Diameter (in): in.

Washer Outside Diameter (in): in.

Hub Centric: No

Center Cap Included: No

Valve Stems Included: No

Recommended Valve Stem: 7/16 in. pull-through

Thanks guys!

Ohh yeah how do you think they would look on an 01 black with silver trim QX4?

Billy

Edited by EmptyV

Gonna look badassness. No flashing crap, I like 'em.

I dig them too, after hours of looking at crappy wheel after crappy wheel online I saw these and said, "I think that's them" How about caliper rub? Dude said it would rub because the way the wheel was cut.

Billy

I dig them too, after hours of looking at crappy wheel after crappy wheel online I saw these and said, "I think that's them" How about caliper rub? Dude said it would rub because the way the wheel was cut.

Billy

If the guy says they'll rub, then he's probably right. If you order them despite his warning and they don't fit, the shop may not let you return them. Pathfinders that came with factory 16" or larger wheels have bigger calipers. Therefore, most alloy 15" wheels won't fit. You're better off going with a 16" wheel and 255/75R16 tires if you want that wheel style.

If the guy says they'll rub, then he's probably right. If you order them despite his warning and they don't fit, the shop may not let you return them. Pathfinders that came with factory 16" or larger wheels have bigger calipers. Therefore, most alloy 15" wheels won't fit. You're better off going with a 16" wheel and 255/75R16 tires if you want that wheel style.

I just found out that they make it in a 16x8 and it's only about $10 more and has a 0mm offset and 4.5" backspacing, sound do-able?

Billy

I just found out that they make it in a 16x8 and it's only about $10 more and has a 0mm offset and 4.5" backspacing, sound do-able?

Billy

Nope. Maximum of 4" BS, minimum of 3.75" BS on an 8" wide wheel if you want to fit bigger tires. Smaller tires won't be a problem, though.

Edited by XPLORx4

Nope. Maximum of 4" BS, minimum of 3.75" BS on an 8" wide wheel if you want to fit bigger tires. Smaller tires won't be a problem, though.

What if I use wheel spacers, will that fix the problem? I thought I saw someone on here that had a 4.75" BS on their wheels but I could be wrong.

Billy