VG33E mods

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and? i never said it wasn't a waste of money. i said it was a simple concept that should be simple to understand. but i guess it's not.

Did I ever say I was having a hard time understanding how TB spacers theoretically work and what they do, no.. Its just a big waste of money and time and they do nothing on the nissan engines. Especially when you're running bigger tires, you wont feel a 5 hp increase...

umm...stroke it?

(and i mean that in reference to this topic and also...)

a 6mm increase in stoke on a vg33 = 35L displacement.

http://paeco.com/Stroker%20Kits.htm in florida will do it starting @ about 2g.

when only doing stroke the gain in tq will be greater than the gain in hp.

I talked to a guy on the phone there and he said "+60 ftlbs to the wheels is not and unreasonable expectaion for a stroker" It may be more than that but theres no telling untill its done.

but still that would put me @ 190-200 ftlbs(I dyno'd 133 last summer) + whatever gain I get from going to a vg33block

Edited by MY1PATH

50% torque increase is a bit optimistic, imo.

well its not just some bolt on, when you increase the effective diplacement by .2 liters and the specific method focuses on increasing the leverage offered by the crank by making its stroke longer I think It may be within reason.

Edited by MY1PATH

Sounds reasonable to me. I mean if my uncle can gain 120+ lb-ft from just stroking his SBC (I know, damn Chevy talk again!) then I don't see why I couldn't gain 60 lb-ft from doing the same to my Pathy. Of course for us it would cost a bit more than just the stroke kit, since a good tune would be required making it cost upward of 3.5g's just to gain that 60-70 lb-ft of torque, and probably only a dismal 20hp, if that much can even be gained. Hell, I'd do it if I had the money, then throw on a supercharger and have one bad ass 'VG35E-R' rumblin' between my fenders!

Edited by 180sx

Ok now that I have read it all... and no....keep Chevy out of Nissan!

Another possible idea as to how to get some power that i was thinking about was just getting a universal Intercooler kit from like amazon.com.

You can find all the parts to build a kit on amazon for pretty cheap and they generally give you a few horses just by cooling the air.... I dont know what all needs to be done to make it work but it seems like a worthy cause if they are proven to give you like 15-25(max) more horses...

If no one ever tries it, I would like to be able to say I did it....

Sounds reasonable to me. I mean if my uncle can gain 120+ lb-ft from just stroking his SBC (I know, damn Chevy talk again!) then I don't see why I couldn't gain 60 lb-ft from doing the same to my Pathy. Of course for us it would cost a bit more than just the stroke kit, since a good tune would be required making it cost upward of 3.5g's just to gain that 60-70 lb-ft of torque, and probably only a dismal 20hp, if that much can even be gained. Hell, I'd do it if I had the money, then throw on a supercharger and have one bad ass 'VG35E-R' rumblin' between my fenders!

stroking a 350 to 383 takes displacement from 5.7 to 6.3 liters. also, what mods were done in conjunction with the stroker kit? pistons? cam? heads? headers?

for the money of stroking a VG33, you're better off swapping in a sbc350 or sbf351, or throwing on a aftermarket blower like vortech or procharger.

50% torque increase is just not gonna happen from that small of a stroke increase.

Edited by alexrex20

Another possible idea as to how to get some power that i was thinking about was just getting a universal Intercooler kit from like amazon.com.

You can find all the parts to build a kit on amazon for pretty cheap and they generally give you a few horses just by cooling the air.... I dont know what all needs to be done to make it work but it seems like a worthy cause if they are proven to give you like 15-25(max) more horses...

electric supercharger and universal intercooler from Amazon. sounds like a plan!

/sarcasm

IDK its about how long you want to keep the entire truck.

Cams

AFC

P & P Heads

Flow match the intake and the heads

Mandrel exhaust and muffler with some light back pressure

Cut weight out where you can--IE. take the super heavy chrome or OE wheels off in favor of lighter ones

(Maintainence is always a key also to running smooth.)

Dyno tune---this would be extremely important after the work performed.

I had the cams in my VG and if I did it again, I would put them in myself and use new lifters AND springs, there has got to be lighter springs and lifters out there thanks to the 300z guys.

Edited by 02silverpathy

Haha..you're joking right? 15-25 more horses from 'cooler' air? What a joke. If that was the case, I would see that increase from driving in the winter time! An intercooler is only good on Forced Induction because as the air is preesurized, it heats up, hence why you need an intercooler to cool it back down. On an N/A engine, an 'intercooler' would only cause restriction actually causing a LOSS in HP. What a joke.

I dont know if anyone has mentioned this, and i dont know if it really works or not... but its interesting to think if it works...

Its the E-ram electric supercharger....

http://www.electricsupercharger.com/

Yea, this has been discussed time and again. You can't make any pressure with an 'e-fan' that could push more air than the stock engine could suck by itself, again causing a LOSS in HP due to added restriction.

stroking a 350 to 383 takes displacement from 5.7 to 6.3 liters. also, what mods were done in conjunction with the stroker kit? pistons? cam? heads? headers?

for the money of stroking a VG33, you're better off swapping in a sbc350 or sbf351, or throwing on a aftermarket blower like vortech or procharger.

50% torque increase is just not gonna happen from that small of a stroke increase.

Hmm...guess you got me on that one...But hey, I'd still like to do it anyway. Just to have some kind of increase would be good for me, even if ot would be a 15% increase. And, it would just sound bad ass!

I had the cams in my VG and if I did it again, I would put them in myself and use new lifters AND springs, there has got to be lighter springs and lifters out there thanks to the 300z guys.

normally they go heavier(quicker) springs to withstand higer RPM

Triple springs? Woa there buddy. We wouldn't even need double springs in these aps. I wonder if the 300Z valve springs swap over? Are they a higher rate spring?

Triple springs? Woa there buddy. We wouldn't even need double springs in these aps. I wonder if the 300Z valve springs swap over? Are they a higher rate spring?

That does work for the WD21 VG30. I don't see why it wouldn't work for the R50 VG33... :scratchhead:

Yea, that's what I was thinking. Everything is the same. How is the displacement upped on our 3.3's? Is it stroke or bore or a combo of the two? Hmmm...I do need to go to the junk yard, maybe we'll have a look...

Yea, that's what I was thinking. Everything is the same. How is the displacement upped on our 3.3's? Is it stroke or bore or a combo of the two? Hmmm...I do need to go to the junk yard, maybe we'll have a look...

I thought it was stroke only; what the crap I would know is the problem, though. :lol:

In any event, post some info when you know. I'd love to know about the potential swapping aftermarket 300ZX parts with the VG33E OEM hardware. :aok:

Only the bore is increased on the 3.3;

vg30 = (Bore 87.0mm + stroke 83mm)6 cyl = 2962 CC

vg33 = (Bore 91.5mm + stroke 83mm)6 cyl = 3276 CC

My theretical re-build

VG36i = (92mm bore + 90mm Stroke)6 cyl = 3591 CC

now 190ish ftbls @ the wheel doesnt seem like its asking too much when a stock vg33 does 200 @ the crank

I thought it was stroke only; what the crap I would know is the problem, though. :lol:

In any event, post some info when you know. I'd love to know about the potential swapping aftermarket 300ZX parts with the VG33E OEM hardware. :aok:

there are a handfull of 300zx guys running vg33 blocks for higer compression and greater displacement.

they also like our pathfinder intake manifolds better.

check it out @ z31.com you may find out allot about interchange...

how are you planning on stroking the VG33E by 6mm? are you doing offset rod journals? are you having a custom crank built?

why are you only boring to 92mm? the VG33E has very thick cylinder walls and you can easily bore to 95mm; maybe even more as long as you're not going with any boost/nitrous. and while you're at it, get a custom crank built with more than +6mm stroke. if you're going to do it, do it right.

95x95mm = 4.0L

VG40E? bad ass. The problem I see with that is the rod ratio being too high (or maybe its low...hmmm...I need to catch up on my studies...) and would have some serious consequnce at higher RPM's.

how are you planning on stroking the VG33E by 6mm? are you doing offset rod journals? are you having a custom crank built?

why are you only boring to 92mm? the VG33E has very thick cylinder walls and you can easily bore to 95mm; maybe even more as long as you're not going with any boost/nitrous. and while you're at it, get a custom crank built with more than +6mm stroke. if you're going to do it, do it right.

95x95mm = 4.0L

The idea is to get a custom crank made @ http://paeco.com/Stroker%20Kits.htm. No offset journals for me.

I don't know how easily the block can be clearanced and modified for a 95mm stroke but 6mm was the inital Idea. I talked with a guy and it seems there are allot of complications with increasing the stroke larger than that; managing compression ratios, keeping the piston below the deck and keeping the piston from coming out the bottom of the sleve were the big ones. they have done .25" increase of stroke on a 300zx before so I figure keeping closer to what they've done will help keep things simple.

I'm would only be going to 92mm because .5mm is about how much will be removed when the sleeves are cleaned up to accept new custom pistons. So asside form going to a 3.3 block there realy woun't be much increase in bore. the focus is stroke.

theres lots of reasons why I wouln't go all out 4.0;

TBI might not handle it

additiona costs

longevity of the engine w/ so much squezed out of it

don't want to make a complete guzzler out of it.

I'm only aiming for 180-200 ftlbs to the wheels with comparable HP and a 3.6 stroker w/ a mild custom cam should be able to handle that