VG33E mods

Its called a nissan turbo diesel engine, they came in the terrano's and in some of the nissan commercial trucks.... google td27i

That's one option, available in the JDM R50 in '96 and '97. '98 saw the introduction of the QD32ETI, which has a little more power than the TD27.

I realize that Nissan did have a diesel engine in these vehicles but is it available in North America? I didn't think the terrano's were. I don't see many Nissan commercial trucks running around either. Just curious how feasible the swap is

Both the TD27 and QD32 are feasible because they use the same mounts as the VG33 in the JDM R50's from '96-'99. I've been told the transmissions are also the same but I have yet to confirm that. So far the only challenge is actually finding a QD32 here in Canada. Shipping just the engine from Japan won't be cheap.

theres usually a vendor on ebay with them, also try the used import engine places. swapping wouldnt be to bad if you had the tranny. diesels are fairly simple engines compared to an EFI gas engine.

Not to mention just how much better the fuel economy is. :aok:

Only problem is you can't get Nissan diesel parts in the US...or certainly not for cheap. ;)

That's one of my bigger concerns... Shipping parts from overseas is never cost-feasible... :thumbsdown:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Ty, I would def. check your info on the tranny, the autos arent good for a lot of power if i remember correctly...

As far as I have been able to research regarding the R50, the same tranny, designed by Jatco, was used in all automatic models: RE4R01A. I'm sure it will be sufficient for the diesel conversion; it would essentially make it a JDM set-up... :scratchhead:

I dont get how a throttle body spacer adds more air after the throttle body. It just makes the TB 1" longer essentially... Whats the big deal?

the spacer goes under the throttle body. it's simple, really.

And the truth about the TB spacer is that it doesn't work. If it did, people would be actually using them. Simple as that. Yes it may change airflow into the cylinders but the computer not being able to compensate has nothing to do with the fuel injectors. The computer is not tuned for the different airflow characteristics and it may run lean or rich depending. Larger injectors will only mess up the tune worse.

On a TBI engine it might help because of it being after the injectors (similar to using a spacer with a carb).

ium ya? we already decided it only works on TBI, not PFI. that's why it is/was such a common and effective mod on the TBI sbc350. add a spacer and supplement with injectors from a police pkg caprice.