brake issues

packie88

Alright so i have my 1994 SAS se pathy. And im having some brake issues. no matter how many times i bleed the thing the brake pedal is still spongy till about the last couple inches. I just replace the master cylinder and that didnt help either. im kinda at a loss as far as what to do. anyone got some ideas

Might be a stupid thing to check, but if the new brakes (assuming they're new) are disc, make sure the calipers are on the right sides. My dad is building an old car right now and was having that problem with his brakes and found out that the new calipers had the brake line coming out of the bottom (IIRC) instead of the top and when switched, they worked fine.

Edited by Soccerstudd5

I'm havin the same problem Packie...

just replaced the master cylinder, and my brake fluid. and its really spongy til the last bit just as u said.

When the car is off, if i pump the brakes, or press em it tightens up, and becomes fully pressurized, but after the truck starts, it loses alot of the pressure. At first once i had the new master cylinder, it seemed alot better than it used to be, but its kinda back to what it used to be...

well good to know im not the only one. kinda. minew does the same thing when the car is off. but as soon as it turns on and i move a little it gets really spongy. Any one else having this problem or what they did to fix it

X2 on what mzxtreme said. If you have disonnected a brake line at the Master Cylinder or replaced it, you will need to bleed it. There is a procedure in the FSM on how to do it on page BR-9 of the 1994 one. Basically, you need 2 people.

1. Install the MC to the booster. (but not the lines to the MC)

2. Fill the MC reservoir with fluid.

3. Have person A plug all of the ports on the MC with their fingers.

4. Have person B SLOWLY depress the brake pedal repeatedly until no more air comes out.

5. Install the lines to the MC and bleed the rest of the system as usual.

It can get a bit messy if you aren't careful, so I would recommend putting a towel under the MC and use rubber gloves. The gloves also help you make a good seal. I did this alone one time by taking a few big C clamps and some blocks of rubber. I clamped the rubber over the ports and just pressed the brake pedal like 20 times for good measure. It is easier with another person for sure.

Edited by Indigent

• 4 weeks later...

since you are now running disks and your previous setup was drums, Take out your residual pressure valve.

Also, make damn sure that your lines are tight. I had one that would not leak, but it let air in. Every time i bled just the 1 I got air out.

I was thinking about your MC and i think its big enough. The rotors on the back are big, but they don't use any more oil than my worn out 11" drums. (lots of travel in the cyl).

I could be wrong. Bring it over and i'll help you do everything.