Newbie Here Looking to Pick Up an R50 Soon

05G35

I'm currently driving an 05 G35 (hence the username) and am looking to add a more practical, versatile, and cheap-to-own (hopefully) vehicle. My love with the nissan/infiniti vehicle has brought me to the 02-04 Pathy/QX4. I've driven a couple and in my area I'm running into the problem of finding that most of the vehicles in my area are high miles, 100k plus. My questions to you sages of the R50 are as follows:

1. Should I be fearful of an 02-04 Pathy rocking 100k+ miles? I know the older Pathys are renowned for getting into the 200k+ miles easily, is that the case with 02-04s?

2. When i look at high-mileage 02-04 Pathfinders, what should i be weary of? The first thing i'll insist on having done is the brass screws getting locktite'd, but what else should i be looking for, especially with the transmission?

3. What's the cost of maintenance for a 4x4 rig? Just the usual fluid changes? Or should i prepare for a new tranny at some point?

I mentioned that I did a search and picked up some useful info, but I wasn't able to sift out anyone who can say when to be weary of a 4x4's tranny. Also, the desire for a 4x4 stems from light, very light offroading combined with occasional ice/sleet/junk.

I appreciate greatly the time you've taken to read my post and hope to become an active member of this forum like i am/was on the g35driver boards. Thanks again!

-Brock

Hey Brock welcome to NPORA :welcome:

i think that you have made a awesome choice to go with a Pathfinder! All of us here love our rigs. Heres what i got- a 01 LE with the VQ3.5 V6, and 86k miles on it. I love it I havent had any problems with it at all, only the power valve screw issue- which was a easy fix. If you are getting a pathy i would first off reccomend getting the 3.5 instead of the 3.3, because its so much more powerful...and the same engine as in the G35 and it's a amazing engine- and very reliable and the change from going to the G to the Pathy wont be as bad- My dad has a 06 G35 sedan (Amazing car)...anyways you can avoid the issue of the power valve screws by geting a manual trans because the engines dont have the screws. Also i have the LE which has the "All Mode" 4wd system, its not worth it, try and get a manual trans case if you can, but the benefit of having the LE is the heated leather and if you get snow then that means cold and nothing feels better then a heated seat on a cold day :aok: Good luck on finding a pathy to own- or check the vehicles for sale thread as there might be one there for you- Nissandoms has a sweet truck for sale with a very rare lift on it- CUSTOM

I agree with the above. I have an 02 LE and had to shop a while to get what I wanted and had to go to a bigger city for selection too.

So far mine is stock. From what I read here, the 96+ are a bit harder to modify for moderate+ off-road use, but it can be done. The 01s had a couple of issues that were fixed for 02, but were not huge issues.. something with the tailgate lifts I think. As noted the automode makes mods a bit harder but if you are only doing light off-roading you would likely be ok with automode. The auto feature is very handy if your significant other is not tuned into the fact that you don't use 4x4 on dry pavement ;)

I have only had my 02 a bit over a year yet and it is not even to 80k miles yet, so I cannot comment on your trans Q but so far so good. All I have done is change the oil, and the power valve screws (see my write up here).

However, if you are tall (over 6') watch your head on that tailgate, it was designed by short people I guess. Same goes for the driver's seat, I wish it would go down/back more. The heated seats are great. The lack of a tilt steering wheel sucks, but you might not notice if you are acustomed to Nissans.

However, if you are tall (over 6') watch your head on that tailgate, it was designed by short people I guess. Same goes for the driver's seat, I wish it would go down/back more. The heated seats are great. The lack of a tilt steering wheel sucks, but you might not notice if you are acustomed to Nissans.

X2 on the damn tailgate, im 6'2 and i hit my head all the time, but the 2 inch lift fixed that right up :beer: . And once I get my sub-frame lift i will be able to jump under it lol

Thanks for all the input. I'm definitely looking to grab the 3.5 over the 3.3, i just love this vq motor. I'm still a little concerned on the 100k+ mileage w/ the 4wd tranny.

Let me ask you guys something, what mode do you put your rigs in for ice and snow? To be honest, that's half the reason i'm looking at 4wd. I don't plan on mudding at all to be honest, i just want to be able to get to some campsites and off the beaten path every now and again. Do i really need 4wd or will sandbags in the back of a 2wd pathfinder be okay? Also, do the 01-04 pathy's come with traction control?? Thanks again guys, your help is greatly appreciated.

The transmissions on the R50's are not known to have issues like the older trucks (Autos with clogged coolers on the pre 96 trucks.)

As for maintenance on the 4x4, as compared to others... I dont know of anything above & beyond. I typically like to get my fluids and my bearings repacked more often than I did in the past, but that's because of wheeling, and the possibility getting mud & dirt where it shouldnt be.

I had a 2wd pick up before the pathy, and every winter I threw (well, dragged) sand in the back of it, to help with traction. I got used to it, the sand helped a bit, but the ass end of the truck would like to roam when it was slippery out. With the pathy, I typically like to stay in 2, unless it's really slippery, and the truck starts to roam after cornering. I don't mind some slipping, but in the city, surrounded by idiots, I throw it into 4hi, and the truck behaves. It helps with turns, as well as starting off from a full stop.

Thanks for all the input. I'm definitely looking to grab the 3.5 over the 3.3, i just love this vq motor. I'm still a little concerned on the 100k+ mileage w/ the 4wd tranny.

Let me ask you guys something, what mode do you put your rigs in for ice and snow? To be honest, that's half the reason i'm looking at 4wd. I don't plan on mudding at all to be honest, i just want to be able to get to some campsites and off the beaten path every now and again. Do i really need 4wd or will sandbags in the back of a 2wd pathfinder be okay? Also, do the 01-04 pathy's come with traction control?? Thanks again guys, your help is greatly appreciated.

Note: the tranny is essentially the same between 2WD or 4WD models. If the tranny is well maintained it should last a while. My '97 has 160K miles on it, and still runs great. I've not heard of many auto tranny failures, and those that HAVE failed were likely due to poor maintenance (i.e. never changing the fluid).

For ice/snow, you will likely want the all-mode 4WD system, not a lever-operated transfer case.

I would not trust the ice/snow handling a 2WD R50 loaded with sandbags as much as an empty AWD R50.

AFAIK, no R50's from any year have a traction control feature. The All-mode 4WD setting should do a decent job of controlling wheelspin on takeoff.

Note: don't confuse traction control with dynamic stability control systems. The former simply cuts throttle when wheelspin is detected, while the latter senses understeer or oversteer, and will both cut throttle and brake individual wheels (as needed) to help maintain the desired direction of travel.

In all honesty man, the only thing 4wd helps you do in snow is start off better (better traction to begin). If you don't know how to drive on snow (ie not slamming on the brakes & not turning into the skid) then 4wd aint gonna do much good. We had snow all the time growing up in WV so it was never a big deal but when I moved down here to NC, I realized that people that only get 1-4" a year don't know how to handle snow & freak-the-hell-out!

Like I said, if you aint careful you'll skid & slide all over the place just like a 2wd.

Just for funnzies: the best "snow vehicle" I ever owned was a 71 Volkswagen Super Beetle. I could go anywhere in that b!tch!

In all honesty man, the only thing 4wd helps you do in snow is start off better (better traction to begin). If you don't know how to drive on snow (ie not slamming on the brakes & not turning into the skid) then 4wd aint gonna do much good.

Haha, yep, that's true. 4WD=4-wheel DRIVE. All cars are 4-wheel STOP. Lots of folks think they don't need to adjust their driving style in snow because they have a "4WD". I'm sure many of those folks end up with wrecked cars, injured, or dead.

Wow, way to be grim Dean...according to consumer guide auto a anti-skid/traction control system was available in 2003 as part of a Dynamic Control option, so if Dean is correct (which he usually is) it isn't real traction control...

Wow, way to be grim Dean...according to consumer guide auto a anti-skid/traction control system was available in 2003 as part of a Dynamic Control option, so if Dean is correct (which he usually is) it isn't real traction control...

If it's true that Dynamic Stability Control was a feature offered in the last 2 years of R50 production, then that's good. DSC is far more advanced than simply Traction Control.

Why go with a newer R50? Go old school (its hard to believe that my R50 is 12 yrs-old now) & get you a 96-99, that way you won't have to worry about high milage - cause all of 'em will have high mileage. You don't need all of the horsepower that comes with that nice 3.5, isn't 168 hp enough?...

It took me a minute to understand what this meant... Then I say Pezzy's reply. :lol:

Yeah... I don't know what the heck that means. But here's an update:

Went to the stealership today to test drive the '02 4wd SE I've been looking at; just so happens we're plagued with snow and ice today :)

After sitting in there for 3 hours we got to a place i'm happy with and they agreed to let me take the Pathy for the night and to my mechanic before making a purchase (they put my G in their shop, how nice.)

My mechanic gave it a good over, put it on the lift and checked all fluids. He loves it, can't say enough about Pathfinders and reliability, says he's seen 250k on these cars and not a hickup. So tomorrow morning I'll be heading back in and seeing what we can do with getting the 100k service put in as part of the deal on this purchase. If we can find an agreement I'll have an R50 sitting out front (not in the garage... that's where the G will sit until sold...). Hope to be posting more soon! Thanks again for all the input and info, absolutely priceless stuff when it comes from actual owners. Thank goodness for the interweb...

Nice choice on the R-50. I have a '96 SE. Have had no real issues in a little over a year. It has 126k miles on it and has been maintained by the dealer since new. I do all my own maintenance(tightwad) and have changed all of my fluids to royal purple fluids. I have noticed about 25 extra miles per tank since that change. Don't expect to get 30 MPG with any of them though. You are entering a different realm with a 4x4.

PS- I still want a 2 door...

100k on a 5-7 year old truck? that seams to be really high mileage to me but its not my new ride

Thats like 14K a year. Thats not that bad, especially compared to me.

Hey 05G35. if/when you get the R50 give us some pics

Hey guys, picked up the rig today! Will load some pics when i get a chance, right now we're in 4inches of sleet/ice so no real photo ops... or maybe this is the best time. It's white, 2002, leather, 4wd, no heated/pwr seats, with 100k on the odometer.

Now i'll be looking into the manual locking hubs and i've got the brass screw locktiting operation scheduled with my mechanic for thursday morning. So far in the ice/sleet it's been awesome. Will post more info again soon, thanks again for all the input and information that's been put out in the R50 section - and i'm sure the whole site.