New Rear Suspension

after recently tearing the upper link mounts off of the frame with the torque of the atlas t-case, we went back to the drawing board and came up with this...

suspension-900.jpg

can''t wait to have it on the trail!

there is no side to side movement. and it's not bad on the road at all. The roll center is up to where body roll isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. and it's doesn't squat much at acceleration either.

there is only about an inch of spline showing. and i have a good 3.5 - 4" spline engagment. only about 2.5 is reqd

This DS was custom made by JE Reel specifically for this truck.

Edited by SteeevO

Thats just way jim builds them,

but now that i think about it, the other end is the custom end and it changes depending on whether or not you are running a CV-joint etc, since the CV is at the top, the other end will always uses a standard piece. which puts the slip yoke at the bottom,... which hasn't been a problem

Thats just way jim builds them,

but now that i think about it, the other end is the custom end and it changes depending on whether or not you are running a CV-joint etc, since the CV is at the top, the other end will always uses a standard piece. which puts the slip yoke at the bottom,... which hasn't been a problem

that makes sense, i didnt know you have a cv in there....

have you had any experience with ballistic joints? they had a chrome moly joint with the threaded stud now. i been thinking about using them on my SAS, i dont like the way the JJ's use a snap ring.

Steeev0....who welded the cross piece on top of the pumpkin? Your setup is kind of what i was thinking of doing to my R50, but i'm a little scared to weld anything to the pumpkin or axle shafts for fear of warpage...

Steeev0....who welded the cross piece on top of the pumpkin? Your setup is kind of what i was thinking of doing to my R50, but i'm a little scared to weld anything to the pumpkin or axle shafts for fear of warpage...

you wont warp anything if you tack everything up then weld in short beads alternating sides so you dont generate too much heat in one spot.

the tops triangulated but what about the bottom. for a triangulated 4 link dont you need the lower links triangulated as well. with the upper links typically going \ / and the lower links going / \.

how are its street manners? with the triangluion and the johnnys. how about over 70?

I may want to do this one day but I still wanna be able to do road trips with it.

p.s. since I won't be doing triangulation anytime soon;

I was wondering if you had any plans for your panhard drop bracket? I was gonna make one @ work but if if you don't need yours...

Edited by MY1PATH

I'm looking at turning this rear suspension into a production part sometime in the next few months, but this was done by Toyota Masters in Colton, CA by Jay King. He does great work.

the tops triangulated but what about the bottom. for a triangulated 4 link dont you need the lower links triangulated as well. with the upper links typically going \ / and the lower links going / \.

Only the top needs to be triangulated.

how are its street manners? with the triangluion and the johnnys. how about over 70?

I may want to do this one day but I still wanna be able to do road trips with it.

p.s. since I won't be doing triangulation anytime soon;

I was wondering if you had any plans for your panhard drop bracket? I was gonna make one @ work but if if you don't need yours...

Street Manners have been greatly improved over what i had in there before. being SAS'd it doesn't drive as good as it was IFS but i still can drive on the hwy with little trouble. 65mph is not a problem.

Steeeeevo, are those Bilstein shocks? and whats the travel on them?

yes, those are bilstein 12" travel.

I'm looking at turning this rear suspension into a production part sometime in the next few months, but this was done by Toyota Masters in Colton, CA by Jay King. He does great work.

well if you move as fast as you've been moving with the johnny links I guess we'll see the kit next month? JK take your time

Only the top needs to be triangulated.

Street Manners have been greatly improved over what i had in there before. being SAS'd it doesn't drive as good as it was IFS but i still can drive on the hwy with little trouble. 65mph is not a problem.

yes, those are bilstein 12" travel.

are the 12" long enough for the front? i have (4) 13" trailmasters im planning on using on mine. for some reason they dont look long enough either.