Cheap Brake pads that can cause clicking

unccpathfinder

well i know i've talked in quite a few posts about cheap brake pads and the shims coming loose and hitting the hubs...well as I start to strip parts off of my 87 to fit 95 parts on I noticed it had the "cheap pads" and hten we did the brakes on my housemates 01 Fronty and his "cheap" brakes were worse than mine by a long shot...so here are the pictures so folks know what i've been talking about...the only problem is I forgot to snap a picture of the "nice" pads they werent top line or anything but they had the clips around the sides

Caliper removed slipped shims:

DSCN3393.jpg

Fronty slipped shim :

DSCN3398.jpg

where it was hitting the hub...this one is not bad but you can see where it started to turn away the hub (little black line):

DSCN3395.jpg

Fronty shims off pads (notice his drivers sides were eating more at the hubs than the pass side):

DSCN3399.jpg

We got into a discussion about this and inspecting his new pads and i forgot to take pix of his hubs and the new pads but this will give folks an idea of what i've mentioned in other posts and maybe allow folks to keep a heads up on the pads they buy...

heres a crappy picture i stole from ebay you can kinda see the clips on this pic:

e07f_1.JPG

If this should be in the garage section MOD will you please move

Edited by unccpathfinder

Wow. Good you caught it before it got bad. Thanks for the pics, really shows the difference.

Having worked in both aftermarket parts for 5 years and now OEM parts, I know there is a difference many, many times in teh quality of parts, I even try to explain it sometimes. Most people are just too far into the walmart/cheap culture to listen anymore.

It shoudl strike you odd if your part fits 17 differenct vehicles from 9 different manufacturers....

On the other hand I will also flat up tell someone not to buy something from me sometimes and I will tell them why. Most people do seem to appreciate that honesty though.

these are glued/riveted on...the ones that I like to use have 4 tabs bent over and do not let the shim slide off of the pad backing I think if you dont use the shims you can load up the pads unevenly and cause other problems but i never really tried it

these are glued/riveted on...the ones that I like to use have 4 tabs bent over and do not let the shim slide off of the pad backing I think if you dont use the shims you can load up the pads unevenly and cause other problems but i never really tried it

Well, when my ASE certified father-in-law says, "those are crap just leave those off," I listen to him. ;)

Actually the shim is there for prevention of wear on the caliper. If they are glued/riveted to the pad then leave them, if they are separate, leave them off and use some good copper brake lube/anti seize in place of the shim.

just out of curiosity...has anyone run their pads to the bone...the bakc plate hitting the rotors without shims to see if the piston comes out of the caliper...i donno...i think there's more than just a "noise barrier" but thats just me being the skeptical engineer

just out of curiosity...has anyone run their pads to the bone...the bakc plate hitting the rotors without shims to see if the piston comes out of the caliper...i donno...i think there's more than just a "noise barrier" but thats just me being the skeptical engineer

You mean like this:

DSC00151.jpg

What a friend of mine brought me, Chrysler New Yorker, the piston was still in the caliper.

Yes, and the piston was still in the caliper.

What a friend of mine brought me, Chrysler New Yorker, the piston was still in the caliper.

GebuS!! Your buddy is damn lucky that rotor didn't grenade on him!! It's worn more than 1/2 way through!! Err, didn't the noise irritate him, if nothing else? :blink:

B

GebuS!! Your buddy is damn lucky that rotor didn't grenade on him!! It's worn more than 1/2 way through!! Err, didn't the noise irritate him, if nothing else? :blink:

B

Suprisingly it made no noise, but there was a lot of debris coming through the wheel. The rotor was about 3/16" thick, and the "pads" were worn halfway through the backing plate, both were 1/8" thick at the thickest. I think what saved him from gernading it was the fact it wasn't a vented rotor, since it was solid it had a continuous wear surface.