Reducing Drag

Kittamaru

1990 Pathy, mostly stock - doing some minor upgrades this weekend, but I had a question pop into my head:

The truck slows down VERY quickly compared to every other vehicle I've ever driven... now, I know it's as aerodynamic as your average TOWNHOUSE, but still...

I'm thinking things that I cna do in my driveway with limited equipment... re-lubing auto-hubs, swapping to manual hubs maybe? Just curious :)

1990 Pathy, mostly stock - doing some minor upgrades this weekend, but I had a question pop into my head:

The truck slows down VERY quickly compared to every other vehicle I've ever driven... now, I know it's as aerodynamic as your average TOWNHOUSE, but still...

I'm thinking things that I cna do in my driveway with limited equipment... re-lubing auto-hubs, swapping to manual hubs maybe? Just curious :)

Brakes sticking, ebrake cable too tight, old gummed up differential fluids, hubs not disengaging, etc.

Quite a bit can cause some lag in the drivetrain

Brakes and e-brake are good - had those "tuned" not more than 2 months ago.

Dif fluid - will thi sbe changed with my transmission drain, fill, run, drain, and refill?

My hubs are disengaging fine :) Tested it after my right front wheel fell off a few months back :P

Unless you are going to change your own fluids or tell the shop to change the diff fluid odds are it won't get done. All the wheels spin freely when off the ground (e.g. dragging brake pads with spent brake pad dust on the pins)? Tire alignment? Tire pressure?

Jack the front end up and see how they spin (freewheel). If they don't, check autolocking hub, wheel bearings and calipers...

Jack up the rear end and see how they spin (freewheel). If they don't, check the axle bearings and brakes...

Start the truck, put it in gear and let the rear wheels spin. Put it in neutral and see how fast they slow down...

Isolate possible causes.

B

I would really look at rear drums; they're adjustable and since you said you had brakes tuned , the tech likely adjusted them for best braking. This causes some drag on the drums and led to worse milage on my'90. It does stop better though, so I decided to stick with it and favor braking over milage. Good luck - glenn

My tech reduced the braking because they were sticking a little... so I had him release them a little.

As for the freewheel test - will do that today :)

Wish me luck - I dive in in an horu :D