Hot news off the press!

5523Pathfinder

Just read this on MSN money!!!

Chrysler reportedly in talks with Renault

Chrysler is reportedly in discussions with other automakers to sell key assets, including its well-known Jeep brand, Thomson Reuters reported today.

French automaker Renault (RNSDY, news, msgs) has been named as a potential acquirer, although the company has denied discussing the deal with Chrysler. Japan's Nissan Motor (NSANY, news, msgs) has also been named as a possible buyer.

Chrysler has received $4 billion in rescue funding from the government and could receive additional funds if it comes up with a viable restructuring plan by March 31.

I guess it is the buy low sell hi idea - you buy something when it is devalued with the assumption that you can fix the problems and make money from it either in sale or operation. Justa guess.

Wow the rumors start again...when I was still at FTL before Diamler even breathed anything to the media about @!*% canning chrystler the rumor was Nissan was goign to buy it and then they realized how big a POS chrystler is and then when they were cut loose the rumor changed to bill gates or oprah would buy it b/c no1 wants it they would buy it and make it a high end american car dealership

If Chrysler is struggling so much, especially with Jeep's brand, why the sh*t would ANYONE want to pick it up? :shrug:

the same reason renault bought nissan. look at the success nissan had ever since ownership changed. it started with the new altima, then the new maxima, and then the new pathfinder/xterra/frontier and titan/armada. they're are huge steps forward compared to their previous generations.

you can also see similar results with volvo/land rover/aston martin/jaguar, after being bought out by ford. GM acquired saab and turned them around (kinda), and look at lamborghini after being acquired by VW.

It's like Chrysler supposedly building the next-gen Titan. It's all rumours and pure bullsh*t speculation. No actual facts to speak of... :rant2:

If Nissan was ever stupid enough to put a Hemi in their next full-size truck, the world is truly coming to an end. :thumbsdown:

It's like Chrysler supposedly building the next-gen Titan. It's all rumours and pure bullsh*t speculation. No actual facts to speak of... :rant2:

If Nissan was ever stupid enough to put a Hemi in their next full-size truck, the world is truly coming to an end. :thumbsdown:

um, nissan is putting the hemi in the titan, and offering an optional nissan-made V8 with more hp/tq. the original nissan quest was ford-made. suzuki's new pickup is nissan-made. i don't see what the big deal is about putting a Hemi in a Titan. it's much cheaper to produce, has more power/torque and gets better mpg.

um, nissan is putting the hemi in the titan, and offering an optional nissan-made V8 with more hp/tq. the original nissan quest was ford-made. suzuki's new pickup is nissan-made. i don't see what the big deal is about putting a Hemi in a Titan. it's much cheaper to produce, has more power/torque and gets better mpg.

I'm just not a fan of the Hemi, that's all. And where did you read any actual facts about this? Everywhere I've looked, it's all rumours.

I think the VK56DE is a solid V8, Nissan could improve on it greatly without resorting to Dodge-built engines. Moreover, a diesel option should be out there already to compete with the Duramax, Cummins, and Powerstroke rigs.

And yes, the Nissan Quest was Ford-built; it was just a rebadged Mercury Villager. The Suzuki Equator is a Nissan Frontier with 'S' badges on it. It's no different than the Mazda Tribute. It's just a rebadged Ford Escape, built by Ford! I think it's trivial to do this but that's just my opinion. :shrug:

I'm just not a fan of the Hemi, that's all. And where did you read any actual facts about this? Everywhere I've looked, it's all rumours.

I think the VK56DE is a solid V8, Nissan could improve on it greatly without resorting to Dodge-built engines. Moreover, a diesel option should be out there already to compete with the Duramax, Cummins, and Powerstroke rigs.

And yes, the Nissan Quest was Ford-built; it was just a rebadged Mercury Villager. The Suzuki Equator is a Nissan Frontier with 'S' badges on it. It's no different than the Mazda Tribute. It's just a rebadged Ford Escape, built by Ford! I think it's trivial to do this but that's just my opinion. :shrug:

well, ford owns mazda.

well, ford owns mazda.

Yup, that I know. But just the same, you don't see Renault rebadging there cars with Nissan badges... :scratchhead:

Ever think that it could be that Nissan wants to get into Nascar against Toyota, so they need a pushrod V-8 to use in it? Buy Chrystler, they get Chrystler V-8s.

Bah, don't get me started on Nascar... :lol:

So then Ford paid Nissan to buy 90% built Quests just to throw on slightly different panels and such and top it off with "snazzy" Mercury badging?

Yep, and to re-engineer the heads to make them a non-interferrance engine.

Another good reason to buy the Jeep brand is the EV (electric vehicle) Jeep they are developing. According to petersens 4x4 and off-road magazine, they have a small gas engine attached to a small electric generator to create power. it then sends the power to an electric motor with something like 275 lbs/torque. They mention that they are also researching in-wheel electric motors. that way you can reduce the power loss from the drivetrain. with this design you could have almost limitless suspension travel and articulation.

Edited by slade420

I'm all for hybrids and electrics but the safety issue is what really worries me. Have you seen the cable in the Prius? It's friggin' huge!! My friend's a volunteer firefighter and was called to an accident involving a Prius taxi. He and his fellow fighters couldn't go near the Prius until a certified electrician came and disconnected the main cable from the source.

Just imagine getting in an accident with a hybrid and having that cable come loose or severed... :excl:

I'm all for hybrids and electrics but the safety issue is what really worries me. Have you seen the cable in the Prius? It's friggin' huge!! My friend's a volunteer firefighter and was called to an accident involving a Prius taxi. He and his fellow fighters couldn't go near the Prius until a certified electrician came and disconnected the main cable from the source.

Just imagine getting in an accident with a hybrid and having that cable come loose or severed... :excl:

just imagine getting in an accident.

Yep, though some new techs would be nice (inwheel motors), they are yet to be made safe. Hell, it is bad enough that the gov mandates putting explosives in every new car (airbags).

i just seen a wrangler with the in wheel electric motors on tv, on the north American international auto show. it was combined with the small generator making enough electricity to go 400 miles on a couple gallons of gas. fixing the problems will take a little while but when they start using super-capacitor technology they will get 1000+ miles on a single charge.

and the torque of electric... would be amazing for offroading

Edited by slade420