Need new Exhaust system - What are my options?

MadManMike

Hey guys,

So as most of you know I have been having major problems with my car for a while now.

I was getting about 10mpg, had a crazy lack of power and ticking noise coming from the engine. The guys at the local Japanese auto shop figured out that my woodruff key had been shaved and the crank was damaged (see more about that problem if interested: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=20384&hl= )

Any way they fixed that problem... now a month later my pathy all the sudden exhibits the same symptoms as it did before they fixed it. Took it in today fearing that my crank was dead again. They checked the crank bolt and said it was as tight as ever... But that my catalytic converter was falling apart and clogged my muffler.

They then proceeded to quote me $980 to replace my cat and muffler... So with $300 in my savings account I now need some other options.

So what are my options?

I know I want to get the magna-flow cat on ebay... But what about the rest of the exhaust? how hard is it to replace the Muffler your self?

-Mike

i would go with a no name brand of HF cat..... for starters. go to a mom n pop operation near you, and ask them how much for what you want. i had my entire exhaust built (supplied thorley's but had them install) 2.5" pipe, magnaflow muffler, hf cat. for $900. 1 whole day of that was labor to modify the headers to fit king's lifts..

you may wanna take yer rig somewhere else... if the problem is back, you just got charged for work that was not related to your issue, also, how do you KNOW that key was sheared off? did you SEE it? did they show it to you? or did you take their word for it?

go somewhere else.....

i would go with a no name brand of HF cat..... for starters. go to a mom n pop operation near you, and ask them how much for what you want. i had my entire exhaust built (supplied thorley's but had them install) 2.5" pipe, magnaflow muffler, hf cat. for $900. 1 whole day of that was labor to modify the headers to fit king's lifts..

you may wanna take yer rig somewhere else... if the problem is back, you just got charged for work that was not related to your issue, also, how do you KNOW that key was sheared off? did you SEE it? did they show it to you? or did you take their word for it?

go somewhere else.....

I am not stupid enough to just take their word for it... They took me out and showed me the marred up crankshaft and what was left of the key before they did any work on it. These guys are very professional when it comes to that. And the 2nd time the symptoms came back it was to a much lesser extent and they did not charge me anything for the 2nd diagnoses.

They are trustworthy but the downside is that they are expensive. I realize that a mom and pop place could do what I want for less. I will start calling the local exhaust shops and see what kind of bids I get.

And why get an off brand when you can get magnaflow universals for $60.. Unless there are off brands that are cheaper than that.

-Mike

magaflow mufflers are around 50$ CND find a local muffler who does stainless steel they can do a new system from the cat back for around 300$ CND thats at least how it is here

98148 is my zip if you still need it..

Yeah i will check around and see if any local places will do that for cheap.

What kind of muffler do I need?

-Mike

Yeah, it's not hard work, but it is a lot easier with a full lift to work with. I did my cat-back in the driveway and it came as a 1 piece unit, all prewelded so I had to fish it around the axel. Then it just bolted to the flange behind the cat, and to the stock hanger by the gas tank.

Yeah, it's not hard work, but it is a lot easier with a full lift to work with. I did my cat-back in the driveway and it came as a 1 piece unit, all prewelded so I had to fish it around the axel. Then it just bolted to the flange behind the cat, and to the stock hanger by the gas tank.

Taking a high lift jack to the hitch reciever and lifting the body away from the suspension works well too if you dont have a lift of any kind.

If you separate the muffler and the back tail pipe, you can get the tail pipe out any time you need to by just pulling t out the back, and then dropping the muffler down and what not.

Its the first getting everything out that can be a real bitch to do