Anyone up for some light wheeling in the next couple of weekends?

unccpathfinder

Well work gave me saturday off but I still have this pretty bad chatter coming somewhere near the tranny to the back end of the truck. I took it back to the shop and I think we found out a bad tranny mount and the tranny is just jumping on that which is why the rear drive shaft is shaking up and down really hard. I hope that this is it. Im getting that replaced tomorrow so we'll see what happens.

But if any of you guys have any idea why I get the chatter let me know! What happens is as I put it first gear and get the truck going the vibration and chatter gets harder. It sound like metal hitting each other chatter. Reverse nothing no matter how hard i go. And if Im really light with the clutch and gas I can get away with minimal chatter but thats only I'm VERY LIGHT.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did you resurface or replace the flywheel? It could be that they forgot to torque one of the bolts on the clutch plate...or is it maybe the exhaust hitting the framerail since they had to disconnect all of that stuff... or a heat shield rattling...I guess it all depends on where you feel the "chatter"

i'd make sure to break that clutch in before heading up to Hollister as well...

Hmmm its not a heat shield chatter. Its a pretty damn HARD AND FREQUENT chatter. It shakes the cabin like crazy when I take off. I got the clutch replaced and everything is good. Im driving it everywhere I can to break it in. Got that down.

Hmmm its not a heat shield chatter. Its a pretty damn HARD AND FREQUENT chatter. It shakes the cabin like crazy when I take off. I got the clutch replaced and everything is good. Im driving it everywhere I can to break it in. Got that down.

Clutch chatter is not going to shake the cab. Transfer case mount sounds plausible. I not sure a bad Transmission mount would cause that though. Did it make this noise before you brought it in to the shop? Does it get louder with speed or quieter? is it louder wit higher rpm? if you get moving and press in the clutch does it stop making noise?

Edited by msavides

It made the noise before it went to the shop. It only happens when Im in first gear. Im assuming its because thats where all the torque is. But if the noise starts, i'll push in the clutch a tiny bit till it goes away and then after i'll let it out a lil and continue. That usually is much lighter when taking off.

my buddy had a camaro that i put the clutch in (didnt check that he had all the flywheel bolts torqued up which was his bad b/c he told me they were good to go he just couldnt man the tranny in or get the clutchpack tight) well needless to say it had bad chatter and it would shake the whole car pretty good or at least I could feel it in the passenger seat and I was the one to say uhh this thing aint right hwen my roommate was about to buy it...well he bought it and in less than a month put another clutch/flywheel on b/c one of the flywheel bolts backed out all the way and wore out the clutch...

not trying to scare ya or anything but if you have someone that could check it out I'd definitely do that b/c if it is the clutch chattering thats gonna need to get fixed/replaced

now when you say very light on the clutch i envision "riding" the clutch like in traffic which could heat up the flywheel and cause chatter...I had chatter in my 95 when the cltuch was almost gone right before it started slipping after I glazed over the flywheel after driving in stop/go traffic and it didnt seem to rattle everything...i definitely felt the "hopping" but it wasnt a shake (i imagine the shake being like letting off the gas and letting the truck coast in gear until about 500 RPM and the motor is about to bog out)

so the flywheel new or resurfaced?

I did some google searching and found tranny mounts or worn pilot bushings could cause chatter or loading up in the drive train that feels like chatter...drive it down here i'll take it for a drive and let ya know what i think ;)

Umm well when i let off the gas, it all stops. And when I mean light on the clutch I mean like with no gas it goes forward a lil and then push the gas a lil and let out a lil so its a smooth catch. And as it gets going, the you can feel the chatter coming and getting bigger. As that happens I push in the clutch a lil and then it tones down. Then you can feel it the chatter period all go away and then I let out the clutch again so I dont piss off the people following me.

The flywheel I think was resurfaced. I remember hearing that but Im not sure. I'll get back to you when my mechanic tells me. He's reliable tho. He replaced the clutch on "Ugly Red" and that is the smoothest clutch I have ever driven.

Edited by Enjoi408

I would assume that he used a clutch kit that included a new pressure plate as well.

I would hope so. What kind of clutch did you have put in. Is it a high performance clutch or is it a stock replacement? I think now that it is definitely clutch. Although I have never seen clutch chatter shake the whole cab. I guess it is possible. I have never heard of a clutch chattering during break in either. I guess it could be possible that the pressure plate was not tightened down evenly or is loose. But who knows. Why did the mechanic give the truck back to you if it was doing the same thing that you brought the truck in to be fixed?

Edited by msavides

I trust my mechanic a lot since he's had more than 15 years at an auto shop. I got the whole kit since we were inside the tranny anyways. I got the clutch replaced because it was slipping and the flywheel was making a whirling noise which all are resolved now. But what concerns us is that theres play in the rear drive shaft with the center bearing (bearing connects the tranny to drive shaft) and that the whole tranny shifted over like half an inch. the mounting bolts are hard to get to.

I trust my mechanic a lot since he's had more than 15 years at an auto shop. I got the whole kit since we were inside the tranny anyways. I got the clutch replaced because it was slipping and the flywheel was making a whirling noise which all are resolved now. But what concerns us is that theres play in the rear drive shaft with the center bearing (bearing connects the tranny to drive shaft) and that the whole tranny shifted over like half an inch. the mounting bolts are hard to get to.

If you got a performance clutch it is normal for them to chatter until they break in.

uumm back to thread topic :P

so who's going on saturday for sure, just to be clear, write your names down.

And where/when should we meet?

1) JoeBob

2) msavides

3)

4)

5)

Bathrooms near Obstacle course I like to start early. like 8:30 - 9:00 am But will compromise

Edited by msavides

If you got a performance clutch it is normal for them to chatter until they break in.

Its a stock replacement clutch.

As far as the list, I'll respond later tonight after work when I get a better look at the truck.

uumm back to thread topic :P

so who's going on saturday for sure, just to be clear, write your names down.

And where/when should we meet?

1) JoeBob

2)

3) Oliver(aka yozsi)

4)

5)

Are you in lafayette or davis? Cause im in orinda and we could probably caravan down there together.

1) JoeBob

2) msavides

3) Oliver(aka yozsi)

4) Statutory Ape (aka Charlie)

i'll be meeting the TTORA guys at the in n out parking lot at the Gilmore outlets at 8-830 to drop my friend off w/ the TTORA guys. he's gonna ride w/ another TTORA member. I guess i'll meet everyone at the obstacle course.

the guy who my friend is riding with (who has an SAS'd DC Taco) said he wants to do some of the harder trails and said my PF could probably make it. i'm down for running the harder trails, but only if everyone else here would want to too cuz i'd rather wheel with you guys.

hope you guys got some more rain to knock down the ruts from all those amercian make rednecks :o) california ain't so bad...I think you should all trek down the Calico this weekend so SteeevO has more than 1 NPORA member wheeling with him...i cant believe i moved 2500 miles and will be the 1st NPORA member to wheel with him....

Ylal have fun..i wish i could be in both places...

bathroom near obstacle course it is... I'm fine with 8:30 to 9:00... lately I've been waking up at 6am or earlier every day (weird huh).. so I'll be ok.. How long do you guys think we'll stay out there?

Are you in lafayette or davis? Cause im in orinda and we could probably caravan down there together.

Orinda eh.. crazy.. I'll actually be in San Jose saturday morning. Going to party it up with some SJSU friends over the weekend too.. going to be a long but awesome weekend for me ^^.

hope you guys got some more rain to knock down the ruts from all those amercian make rednecks :o) california ain't so bad...I think you should all trek down the Calico this weekend so SteeevO has more than 1 NPORA member wheeling with him...i cant believe i moved 2500 miles and will be the 1st NPORA member to wheel with him....

Ylal have fun..i wish i could be in both places...

He's a lil too far south for me. Calico's 450 miles away vs hollister @ 180 miles. i'll head down there someday when i have both days of a weekend off (not very likely) i rarely wheel anyway, between work and school and all :thumbsdown:

Does anyone want to meet up in san jose?

sure, why not.

Ummmm so the tranny mount was torn the F!#$ up! We took a cro-bar and lifted the tranny about 1-2 inches up and down. That's replaced and a lot of the vibrations gone. But the chatter is still there!!! ARRGARGAGRGARGGAR!!!! Muffler mount broke off and getting that welded back tomorrow. Changing the rear diff fluids tomorrow. And depending on how the new center bearing is, we'll switch that out as well.

But theres a wicked rumble in the cabin while in 4WD. Someone suggested maybe a broken spider gear? Any thoughts? It only happens when turning in 4WD.

As far as a San Jose meet up spot? Well I like the Costco parking lot just because it has a lot of room for us to meet at. Thats also the only big open spot before the boring drive to Hollister. Its really close to 101 so it wouldn't be THAT out of your way. So I'd be down to meeting there again if no one else has any objections.

Edited by Enjoi408