Repair question?

meekrog

Some how my uca bolts, the ones that go into the frame came loose wheeling and i didn't know it. Needless to say they stripped out and it seems like the actual threads in the frame piece may be stripped as well. Just looking for advise on getting this repaired. Wondering whether it will be drilling and tapping or something of that sort and if so how much would probably run.

If you can, I'd say the "easiest repair" route would be to drill and tap to the next size up but I don't know if the UCA will be strong enough after being reamed...

wher the bolts go into the frame there is a nut welded to the other side of the frame. I think the "best repair" would be to weld new nuts in place (somehow getting in there sounds like a PITA)

as a compromise see about getting helicoil installed for the original size bolt, this will give you new set of threads that will still be very strong.

You can try runing a tap (14mm 1.5 pitch) into the hole and clean the threads out. Most times its the bolt that gets chewed to hell since the frame steel is harder than the bolt. Once its all cleaned out, spin your new bolt in and compare it to the undamaged side to see if it wobbles around excessively. If so, prolly damaged the frame bolt too much, but if it doesn't move around too much you might've dodged a bullet. IMO, don't get the new bolts at the hardware store. They're only $6 or so at the dealer and will be correctly spec'ed out as far as shear strength and such.

Having a hard time finding a roll tap in the right pitch. everyone has the 1.25... got the bolts though and only one of the holes got stripped. So gotta make some more calls and what not to try and find a tap. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Well just got done messing around with the truck, got a new bolt to thread in after a little effort and it is holding perfect so just need to kind of keep an eye on it for a while. On another note took a little tensio0n off the torsion bars and that stopped the 4x4 issues i was having too. No more popping or other bad noises anymore. Pretty stoked.

And thanks again for all the help gotta love this forum.

Hey Bud. I may be late with this, but here goes...

I had a hard time finding a M14x1.25 roll tap also BUT I did find some M14x1.25 spark plug hole thread chasers that would probably work. I think these are long enough if you pull the A arm... :shrug:

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLM...g+Thread+Chaser

http://www.autobarn.net/lisleplugchaser.html

Hope it helps...

B

• 2 weeks later...

BTW, make sure the new bolt can be torqued to Nissan spec. This happened to me when offroading in desert, went to some nissan dealer out in desert for emergent repair; they were able to retap and get bolt torqued to spec but they noted that only a couple of threads were holding . They strongly suggested that when I got home to have a full repair done, because even though it seemed OK they didn't think it would last long.Since they weren't going to get any of the additional repeir buisness I took them at they're word. When I got home the local Nissan dealer repaired it with a time-cert, which has lasted a couple of years and many off road trips since. Good luck - glenn