Wear safety glasses

beastpath

Heres just a reminder to everyone that they should use the correct safety equipment working on stuff.

In particular use eye protection because you dont want to be an idiot like me.

Went outside this morning and decided it would be a good idea to quickly spray all my electrical leads, starter, and alt with electrical degreaser. Only take about 10 mins right...ill just be careful and spray away from my face. No need to grab my safety glasses(which were only about 5 feet away) Easy right?!

Sprayed everything and all was well until I stopped spraying the starter connections and leaned my head in (I was under the truck) to get a better look. This placed my head directly under the nozzle of the spray tube and what do you think happens next?

A drip goes into my eye.

Man does that stuff burn!

Rushed back into the house and flushed my eye for 15-20 mins as it says in the instructions and I was fine.

Served as a good reminder of why there are such things as safety glasses, and why we should always use them no matter how small a job.

x2 on that,

sometimes I wear safety glasses just to get under there... cause whatever I grab on the vehicle to help pull me under is covered in dirt and it usually falls in my face.

thats a good one...even with safety glasses things can still get into your eyes so the best procedure is prevention (using the safety glasses) and knowledge on how to treat something in your eye.

One trick I learned from a sheetmetal guy while working on some airplanes on a project is how to get aluminum shavings out of your eye...the 1st no no is to to rub the eye (obviously but thats a lot of 1st reactions)...the next is to reduce blinking b/c blinking may cause it to scratch your eye the final was to hold the eye open and take a Q-tip and barely touch the chip...the burs will grab the cotton and pull it away from the eye (i once used a paper towel since we were out of Q-tips and the chip popped off the inside of my glasses and right in my eye

another that I havent done and don't know if its actaully good practice but I've heard several people mention is if you get a ferrous chip in your eye to either take that method or use a magnet but i was always afraid of if it pulls it out at a different angle than it went in what would happen so I don't know if I would follow that one right off the bat...

No need to grab my safety glasses(which were only about 5 feet away) Easy right?!

Famous last words...

Seriously, this needs to be heeded. Everything from random crap falling to chemical spray and air hose blast, they are needed. I'm a machinist and I follow these rules because I have learned it's not worth the convenience not to follow them. You have 2 eyes and you need both of them for depth perception. Don't take a chance, put on safety glasses.

Just a side note now that I'm done lecturing. The GF was doing her second oil change of her life and I handed her safety glasses... Again...

I bought a pair of safety glasses that have a swivel led bulb at the temple. When I'm under the truck, not only do I not have to worry about crap in my eyes, I can see quite well due to the illumination. I recommend these for anyone who is an underside regular!

Served as a good reminder of why there are such things as safety glasses, and why we should always use them no matter how small a job.

You have said it best.

how to get aluminum shavings out of your eye...the 1st no no is to to rub the eye (obviously but thats a lot of 1st reactions)...the next is to reduce blinking b/c blinking may cause it to scratch your eye the final was to hold the eye open and take a Q-tip and barely touch the chip...the burs will grab the cotton and pull it away from the eye

Never heard of that (most places I worked at had a little device with a loop of monofiliment (fishing line) so you could wedge your eye open and lasso the little bastage (works well, but it sure sounds like fun, eh?).

another that I havent done and don't know if its actaully good practice but I've heard several people mention is if you get a ferrous chip in your eye to either take that method or use a magnet but i was always afraid of if it pulls it out at a different angle than it went in what would happen so I don't know if I would follow that one right off the bat...

Actually, that trick works quite well. NOT if the chip (sliver) is stuck in the eyeball, but the normal caught in the eye lid crap. Get the strongest magnet you can find quickly (small hopefully, I have a few set aside for this) and gently touch it about the eye corners, under the lids. If it is ferrous, it is no longer in your eye...

Regardless of the method, take the time to flush the eye with water for at least 5 minutes. If it is chemical, 15 minutes.

Got safety glasses? Got eye wash station?

*says the guy with the serious cornia scratch*

B

we sometime use this stuff called OXOL 100 @ work this stuff metls thru golves and soaks thru paint suits. anyway I was checkign out storage and the 5 gallon can was not fully in the flamelocker. so I kicked it enough to close the door.............. some jackass had left the entire lip of the can filled with it rather than mopping it up and disposing it.(big safety writeup) and it splashe all in my eyes and face. it was pretty bad, my face & eyes burned and I couldn't see right for a few hours after washing very thurougly.

Yeah, sure Bud. Kitt asked me the same thing a few days ago so apparently there is an interest...

Go here http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm (direct link doesn't work)

and enter LD04887246 in the search window. That is the sale # ($12.99).

The regular # is MSC# 04887246 ($16.88)

Sure you can get regular safety glasses for a few bucks, but to me having the lights in invaluable!!

:beer:

B