Stupid antenna

jpawela

Hi gang, I searched but nothing hit me. I just bought a 95 SE with the automatic antenna. It still works but it squeaks like hell. Is there any way for me to lube it besides just spraying the whole antenna while it's errect? How fragile are these?I'm always afraid it's going to snap while wheeling through some thick trees or brush.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

I would think using lube when its errect would be the best method. (the antenna that is)

has that not woked for you? or have you not tried it yet?

If that works don't forget to wipe off the exess so that it doesn't attract too much dirt.

Or you could just swap to a fixed flexible antenna, that would be more durable when you get into the brush.

lubing while erect is always the best method

:rofl:

What I did on my 93 a long time ago, was had a friend operate the radio and while it went up and down i sprayed it generously.

Edited by redfinder

I smeared mine with some silicone grease. works great unless it decides to freeze but I doubt that is due to the grease. First time I lubed it I used WD40 (or similar) Too thin and wore off too quickly.

Modification coming soon is to put a cutoff switch on the antenna motor so I can interrupt the electric by hitting a switch on the dash (grabbed a couple from the junkyard that will fi the blanks by the emergency blinker switch). Benefit of this will be to be able to leave the antenna up in the winter when it freezes so I don't tear up the teeth again. Couls also be used to keep the antenna down (or part way) for wheeling through brush or going through a car wash and still being able to listen to the radio.

I'll post pics of the process when I do it.

:rofl:

What I did on my 93 a long time ago, was had a friend operate the radio and while it went up and down i sprayed it generously.

Yes, lubing it while going in and out works marvelous as well. :tonguefinger: