Looking to purchase driving lights

Kittamaru

Get it? Hellav it? Hella...? yeah... *cough* Anyway

I'm looking at two options... Hella and KC... the local A&A has both, but I don't know jack all about them.

I'm assuming I'd need to wire in a relay to power them, as I'd wager the stock fog light switch wouldn't be desirable - how difficult is it to do this for someone with near-zero electrical experience (but mediocre knowledge - I have taken a few electronics classes)

How well do they work? Are they worth the effort for on-road driving?

Are they Legal in PA? I honestly don't even know how to find out, and google isn't being terribly helpful :(

hella 500's are nice lights, but you can't use them when anybody is around. That pretty much goes for all types of driving lights. They come with instructions and are easy to install

google 'PA vehicle laws" or some derivative of that.

pretty easy to install; if you have factory fogs you could just switch out the wires from the relay to the new lights if you'd be willing to get rid of the fogs. or just wire them all new.. it's not all that hard just follow a simple wiring diagram which i am sure is included with the new lamps.

I tried PA Vehicle laws... didn't see anything specific, but then again I'm hopped up on hydrocodine atm (long story about that... suffice it to say I fubar'ed my back last night)

As long as they shut off when you kick your high beams on, you are legal in PA for inspection. I am 99.9% sure its not a retarded PA law like the tint one as well(Front door windows legal for inspection but you can get pulled over and fined for it pulling out of the inspection station lot with your brand new stamps)

I'm on the other side of the state from you, the tint one is real, there are a fiew strange ones. I'ts illegal to have your trailer ball in your reciver and drive around without a trailer on, but bike racks and whatnot of the same mounting type are fine. If yo uhave those dorky ricer light up windshield washers and they are not wired in, it can fail inspection since you have unoperating lights, but the catch is if they are wired, you can get fined for driving with them on. Our Pathfinders can be on 33's slinging crap all over the car behind us w/o mudflaps since they are titled as station wagons(look at your owners card if you don't belive me), yet a 2wd lowered to the ground s-10 can actually fail inspection without them if your shop is strict. I can go on and on,PA vechile laws are just great.

if you have factory fogs you could just switch out the wires from the relay to the new lights if you'd be willing to get rid of the fogs.

This is a great option. It goes along w/ what nunya said about them kicking off when the Highs are on.

The factory fog system does this. It also looks uber-clean (no goofy JC Whitney toggles) and makes wiring a snap.

My spots are wired this way. I just re-routed the harness from the bumper to underneeth the cowl.

IMG_0919.jpg

I really like my Hella 500FF's. They do the job. They're light weight. They won't rust.

I'll buy more when it's time to install my roof rack and bumper.

Also, if you decide not to use the factory harness, the Hella's come with ALL of the wiring (including the relay) and detailed instructions. ~Easy.

KC's are tried and true, but I doubt they'll perform any better for as much more as you'd pay.

My question is... are they legal to use on road generally? My standard headlights are kinda... meh. I'm looking to attempt the wiring harness + relay upgrade and get a set of high-quality replacements.. but that costs cash I don't really have :( If these are legal and would be a slightly cheaper (and more effective) replacement, even if I do need a new alternator, I'm all for it :D

I dont' know - what do the laws state in regards to that?

Are bumper mounted lights legal? Or bullbar? What about cargo carrier?

If you have a site where I can look this up that'd be great - I have a letter in where I work (at the vehicle salesperson comission) to find out who to contact about these kind of laws, cause pendot didn't seem to have a clue :thumbsdown:

I would also do a search on Lightforce brand lights. Very impressive lights with solid reviews. They are also priced right for the quality and they seem to stand behind their product. That's what i'm buying when i get the coin.

good luck either way.

Pete

I found our laws on lighting here in Washington on the DOT's website... so I checked your DOT's website and sure enough it was there :D

"Off-road lighting.--Off-road lighting lamps may be mounted on the roof or roll bar of a

vehicle and shall be covered with an opaque covering that prohibits any light from being emitted when

the vehicle is being operated on a highway or trafficway. Any person who illuminates an off-road

lighting lamp while the vehicle is being operated on a highway or a trafficway commits a summary

offense and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to pay a fine of $100."

Here is the document explaining all types of lighting for vehicles:

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/vehic...e/chapter43.pdf

And here is where they explain all the vehicle codes:

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/vehicle_code/index.shtml

-Mike

Theres your problem, you asked PennDOT. And last time I got hit for un-covered lit roof mounts I got blasted for $114 per light(plus a bunch of other crap on my d21). I guess it dropped a little?

That's funny, cos most people around here with extra lights drive around during the day with them all on and nobody I see ever gets a ticket. Not to mention the old folks driving everywhere with their HIGH BEAMS ON. Ugh.

I've gotten a warning for driving at dusk with headlights off and two sets of fog lights on, but that was a technicality, I simply wasn't supposed to have two sets of lights on at the same time. lol

Go to the shop where you get inspected, ask your mechanic there, they should have(make that better have)a book that is close to up to date on file. PA vechile laws change minutly alot(I try to keep up with them even if I don't belive in or adhere to them exactly) but are still the same basic guidelines.

So what your wondering is.... not necessarily what is legal.... but what you can get away with :D

Because I did give you all the laws :huh:

I think it's kinda funny, because I have read through the WA state law and there are a bunch of odd laws that no 4x4ers around here follow. Like some bumper off the ground height restrictions, as well as height restrictions for how far off the ground your fog lights can be. I figure if a cop A) knows the law and B) takes to time to come out and measure it, then he must be some kind of crazy bored.

I measured my brothers old Yota 4-runner (it had a 2" lift) and it broke 2 of the laws.

Technically my window tint is to dark.... but the cops around here are too lazy to measure it. :hide:

-Mike

Edited by MadManMike

Well, truth be told... I have no idea what those laws said 0o'

I'm legal stupid... literally.

Yeah me too... It's probably best if you can find some one to tell you about it :D preferably some one who would be giving the fine.

But basically what I get out of it is:

You can only mount lights on your roof or roll bar... and make sure they are covered at all times, and don't use them on the road.

And for fog lights... you can use them with your headlights when visibility dampened..

But it really doesn't say where you can mount the fog lights... your laws are much less informative than mine here in Washington.

-Mike