Need Help!

99BoomFinder

I have a 1999 2 WD Nissan Pathfinder with the 3.3L V6. I have been experiencing problems with steering wheel shaking back and forth at 65-75 MPH, and have become tired of it. I have had ALL of my tires rebalanced and had the Pathy re-aligned. However, the problem still continues. I have had 2 different mechanics say that everything is aligned and balanced right. Does anyone know what else I should look at? I have new tires, but the problem has been around for about a year now.

I beleive this is refered to the "death wobble" as I read earlier. I'm experiencing this as well. I would have added the link, but it's a bit difficult using my Blackjack II. I'm sure you can find it or someone will be nice enough to find it for you.

Edited by 90seven

I was looking at my tires last night and they are wearing uneven (more wear on the inside). This will be my second pair on new tires in the front in 2 years. Could the ball joints be bad? If that is a possibility, how can I tell?

I was looking at my tires last night and they are wearing uneven (more wear on the inside). This will be my second pair on new tires in the front in 2 years. Could the ball joints be bad? If that is a possibility, how can I tell?

inside tire wear can DEF be bad ball joints. check them. I put it up ona lift/stands and try to cmpress the ball into the socket usinga big channel lock pliers, it there is movement, theyre shot.

inside tire wear can DEF be bad ball joints. check them. I put it up ona lift/stands and try to cmpress the ball into the socket usinga big channel lock pliers, it there is movement, theyre shot.

Thanks! I am going to do that this afternoon.

Also check:

Strut mounts and bearings for excess play, this can throw off your camber and cause the uneven wear you're experiencing.

Tie Rod ends

Steering Rack Bushings can cause the steering rack to move back and forth and cause alignment issues which can mask as a shaking steering wheel.

Make sure the wheels are mounted properly and they aren't bent.

Also, be sure that your lug nuts are torqued to the CORRECT torque. Overtorqued lug nuts can also cause wobbling in the front end.

I just had it inspected at Pep Boys. I was told that my front struts are bad and needed to be replaced. That was causing my wheels to be angled wierd. My ball joints were fine as of now. $77 (2 total) per strut, $70 for alignment, and $109 for labor. Does this sound reasonable? Any opinions?

well if you have some basic mechanical knowlegde you can do the struts your self and save on the labor, but I would recommond getting it realigned if you do it your self. Also as stated before your wheels may be out of round and that may be causing the problem.