Getting Desperate

Kittamaru

ARGH! All the damn metal shops around here seem to close before I get out of work! And I can't take off a day from work because I'm still in my probationary period (90 day probation for new employees in the Commonwealth of PA). ARGH!

I have one last ditch idea before I run out...

I want to make a new bumper for the pathfinder... but the only metal I really have to work with is thin plate metal, and not very high quality metal at that!

Can anyone give me an idea of what a good welding project would be that's Pathfinder related and doesn't need mega-expensive metal?

I should probably state that, as things stand right now, I only have access to plate metal.

The jerry can holder is interesting... where does one normally attach those?

*wanders off to google*

what about skids? If you weld a couple of sheets together and weld on braces annd what not i would imagine it would be strong enough to last you a little while...or you could do panels to go in the cargo area and on the back of the back seats to protect it...

what about skids? If you weld a couple of sheets together and weld on braces annd what not i would imagine it would be strong enough to last you a little while...or you could do panels to go in the cargo area and on the back of the back seats to protect it...

We actually don't have enough uniform metal to do that, and unless I can find a place around here that doesnt' close by 3pm (gah, what the hell, really?) I don't know what I'll do to get enough metal for that :(

I already do have a plan for the cargo area, but it's on hold until I manage to drill out the screws for the tie-down points (they're well stuck) which wouldn't be hard except the one is, pretty much, fused to the cargo area itself even WITH the screws out. That and I want to do it with nice looking diamond-patterned steel plate and actually make a mini-toolbox back there :)

Stock tire carrier. You may want to buy a 6 gallon plastic gas can to mount. Here in Cali at least, I don't believe jerry cans are 'allowed' (sold new) any more due to no spill proof spout and poor vapor sealing (I could be wrong, but I thought I read this). Personally, I think that's stupid, but...

I believe Packie88 relocated his spare tire mount off to the side towards the hinges to make more room for mounting. Look in the pictures/videos section under 'I've been busy' or something.

Yeah, a gas can mount may be the best idea right now...

B

Stock tire carrier. You may want to buy a 6 gallon plastic gas can to mount. Here in Cali at least, I don't believe jerry cans are 'allowed' (sold new) any more due to no spill proof spout and poor vapor sealing (I could be wrong, but I thought I read this). Personally, I think that's stupid, but...

I believe Packie88 relocated his spare tire mount off to the side towards the hinges to make more room for mounting. Look in the pictures/videos section under 'I've been busy' or something.

Yeah, a gas can mount may be the best idea right now...

B

Alright, I'll have to look into getting the can then. Hopefully there's enough spare angle iron and scrap metal at the shop to make this with... it wouldn't be such a big deal if I could at least place an order and have someone pick it up, but the only "retail dealer" of metal around here... has no website to order from and every time I call nobody is there... makes me wonder if it's legit 0o'

Nearest one is in Pittsburgh, which is a 2-3 hour drive :(

I'll e-mail them... but they close at 5, which is when I get out of work. Now, if they're open weekends I could make the drive... it'd be worth it to be able to fab my own equipment :D

I want to make a new bumper for the pathfinder... but the only metal I really have to work with is thin plate metal, and not very high quality metal at that!

I'm going to promote the used smittybuilt option for the bumper. (see slicks picks) Slick another member and (oneday) I have smitty built bumpers modified to fit the pathy.

slicks is off a mid 80's yota and mine is off a 93ish s10. I found mine on craigs list for 100 bucks and I think thats where slick got heres.

I think she welded hers to the frame but I'm going to make replicas of the stock bumper backets out of 1/4" plate and weld it to those. Like you I have access to the plate metal so its actually a fairly cheap but strong bumper compared to aftermaket brands. I think slick has even mowed a few things down with hers....

Slick you wacthing? did I miss anyting?

you could also just grind an 3"radus into the end of your stock brackets and weld those on. I'm sure it would be fine, I'm all about making things stronger and useing big machines to bend 1/4" plate is fun.

Kitt, is there one of these near you?

http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/

Not to threadjack but that isuseful info there considering the one Kittamaru is talking is only about 10 miles from me. I must be REAL dumb to my surroundings sometimes. May just be building some sliders afterall though.......

I'm not sure what metal you need or what you are going to make, but you realize that there are many places you can order it from...

For example, MSC Industrial Supply has something like:

1018 Steel Cold Finished Rectangles Material: Steel - 1018 Length: 72 Length Ft.: 6 Thickness: 1/8 Width: 3 for $38.

This was obviously just an example, but if you want metal, it's easy to get... :shrug:

B

Precise, the problem is, there's only a handful listed in the phone book within a 40 mile radius of Harrisburg PA... and as I said before, I don't get out of work till 5pm. I could send someone else to get it if I knew exactly what kind of metal I need. All I know atm is it cannot be stainless (bitch to weld with) and I need a fair bit of it.

Kit, I mean order it. As on the Web. As shipped to your place of choice. As in steel, C1018, weld away.

The place I quoted "MSC Industrial Supply" is not the cheapest (not a rip off either) but very convenient.

You can order on line, tonight, and have it shipped to you.

Check them out, figure out what you need, then web search and see what you can find elsewhere.

It's not hard Bud, you can have all the steel you want within a few days without leaving the house... :shrug:

B

*nods* I'll look at them then mate. The other two online stores I found it would have been hella expensive to have it shipped to me, on top of the price of the metal itself.

Edited by Kittamaru

I just bought 550 pounds of drops from a metal place for about 40 cents a pound. I got 2x2, 2x3, 2x4 tubing, DOM tubing, 3/16th, 1/4, 1/2 inch plate. you just have to find a metal supply/fabrication shop and ask if they sell their drops.

Drops? Like... unused pieces of metal?

There are PLENTY of fab shops around here... just not many normal suppliers.

Drops are the left over pieces that were sheared or cut off hence 'drop'. They are sold by the pound instead of dimension because they are not a full piece typically 20-24 feet in length.