Wheelin with a stick shift!

BonnerBB

I googled the crap out of "How to wheel with a 5 speed" and got natta...

I took my new-to-me WD21 offroadish this morning and was climbing some 3-4 foot hills where dumptrucks had dumped excess dirt years ago...

Basically I put it in 1st and used the clutch ALOT to control my motion... Is this how to do it?

How long can I expect a clutch to last when using it for crawling through rough hills...

Any advice for someone that has only wheeled automatics and just bought a 5 speed?

A description of your technique for wheeling with a 5 speed would be great!

Thanks,

Bonner

4 wheel low is your friend. You have no throttle/drive train lag like an auto so it is actually easier to hop up and over things. Yes, you have to use the clutch, but used correctly, it won't hurt it at all... :shrug:

B

Yep....I sort of used the clutch as an on/off switch while off road. In the proper gear, it hooked well, and I never really abused the clutch. The only time I found I was wary of it, was on long rocky hill climbs, where I'd stay on the throttle a little longer than I would in an auto, as I didn't want to have to start up again, or clutch too much.

hmm for the most part it depends on the situation...if i'm driving on deep beach sand and going to be going for a while i'll usually start off in 2nd since 1st is so short...most of my beach driving is done in 2wd...in fact most of my offroading is done in 2wd b/c I like to see how far I can go B4 needing 4wd

I typically do not ride the clutch to control speed and since 1st is so short you can usually go pretty slow and under control in 1st alone. there have been situations where I did have to ride the clutch a little bit but those were generally stopping on an obstacle and trying to get back rolling without slipping the tires and getting into a worse situation so sacrificing a little life of the clutch was ok.

I have never rode it hard enough to get the "burning clutch smell" while on the trail

I would recommend warn manual locking hubs too.

Edited by unccpathfinder

stock you should be geared kinda low already, I know @ idle in HI mine goes about 3MPH (1st gear) most cases if I'm going slow up an obstacle I'll keep 900-1200 rpm without usind the clutch. If I need more torque thatn that @ a low speed I'll sift into low. @ Idle I know that my vehicle can can easily roll up a 6-8" curb in low so giving it a little gass I've been able to creep just tabout anywhere I been with out using the clutch too much. now if I'm being slower than that like parking on the log in current picture I'll use the clutch a bit.

from what I've heard the OEM cluthces are pretty tough, I'd figure as long is your not buring it excesively (over 2000RPM when doing so) you should be ok.

But I'm also just a beginner, so we'll say what others say as well.

edit; wow I type slow! you can already see what others said b4 I finished^

Edited by MY1PATH

Yeah, 4lo is your friend. I do most trials and hilclimbs in 2nd gear, 4lo engauged. If I really get stuck, pop her down into first. On the beach I usually just use 4hi unless max traction is needed. Of course, I also have a locker and Warn hubs...

I have a hand throttle and set the rpm's at about 2700 and burn the clutch in 4 low, sometimes when im doing some serious rocks and such and i dont want to kill the engine i get the magic blue smoke rolling out of the bellhousing. Nothing wrong with using the clutch the way it was designed for.

I have a hand throttle and set the rpm's at about 2700 and burn the clutch in 4 low, sometimes when im doing some serious rocks and such and i dont want to kill the engine i get the magic blue smoke rolling out of the bellhousing. Nothing wrong with using the clutch the way it was designed for.

A hand throttle???

A throttle cable attached typically to where the cable for the Cruise would be, that is controlled by a hand lever inside the cab. You can set the revs to whatever you like, to free up both feet for clutch and brake.

Some folks use bicycle gear shifters for hand throttle duties. :aok:

A throttle cable attached typically to where the cable for the Cruise would be, that is controlled by a hand lever inside the cab. You can set the revs to whatever you like, to free up both feet for clutch and brake.

Some folks use bicycle gear shifters for hand throttle duties. :aok:

Got a picture of yours?

I just ran a string through the fire wall and held it in my teeth... :D

B

B's version of a CB is two cans on a string... he's okay as long as the strings dont cross paths. :D

And on topic, a tip for wheeling with a standard transmission... if you're wheeling with a group, be sure to let the driver behind you know you have a 5 speed, so they don't park too close if you happen to get stopped on any type if incline. A lot of auto drivers don't think of that when they park.

B's version of a CB is two cans on a string... he's okay as long as the strings dont cross paths.

Thats when I yell "Hey, get off my channel!!" :D

a tip for wheeling with a standard transmission... if you're wheeling with a group, be sure to let the driver behind you know you have a 5 speed, so they don't park too close if you happen to get stopped on any type if incline

This is where a properly adjusted parking break is invaluable. Use it, it can save clutches and bumpers...

A lot of auto drivers don't think

Damn, isn't that the truth!!

B

... so they don't park too close if you happen to get stopped on any type if incline. A lot of auto drivers don't think of that when they park.

allot of drivers don't think of that in traffic either! Damn them; being inches away on a steep grade in Seattle or San Franacisco!

Well - I went wheeling this weekend and came across my first set of challenging obstacles where alot of clutch/throttle work was needed.

I must say that it is more challenging to wheel with a stick but it is more fun!!! I never stalled and I was doing some pretty wicked trails.

With the combination of the clutch and throttle it is like a balancing act.. I liked it!!!

I never really felt I was being too tough on the clutch while climbing obstacles - NO blue smoke - and my truck never got that burned clutch smell...

I seemed to be more in tune with the obstacles with a stick - almost like I was a part of the terrain...

Thanks to all that replied to this thread!!!

B-

Edited by BonnerBB

Holy backward Pathy, Batman! ;)

I roll most trails in 2 wheel just off idle, but that's with a rear locker. If things get tough, 4 low in 1st or 2nd is the trick. You can roll over most anything that isn't completely verticle, and you can idle it until you almost stall the engine, then give it a stab of throttle to keep it going if needed. I hardly use the clutch, or the brakes for that matter. Low and slow will get you just about anywhere you need. Just tell the asshat behind you to take it easy, or let them pass by.