opinions on 2wd

ticker

I have the oportunity to get a 2001 Xterra that's really clean and for a great price. The problem is that it is two wheel drive. I've always thought that 2wd trucks were kind of silly. I know that there are folks here that rock the 2wd and are perfectly happy. I don't plan on doing any hardcore off roading, but it does snow here occasionally and I love being able to get out and kick some a$$. The trailing arm on my 95 broke today, so now I'm having to fix that just so I 'll be able to drive it to trade it in. I don't want to buy out of desperation but the X is looking better and better especially as I drive around with my 15th month old. Can anybody talk me into the 2wd?

Thanks

Well, you have hit upon the key. If you don't wheel much, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 2wd. Better gas milage and fewer parts to repair/replace is also a bonus. This is something I'd consider though; does the X have LSD rear differential or how much would it cost you to put a locker in it? That would give you the best of both worlds...

I know where you are coming from. You know what you want, but sometimes good deals on something close are hard to pass up. BTW, I doubt you will get much of a trade in for the WD21. You may want to consider a private sale; consider it when they tell you what the old Pathy is 'worth'.

B

My opinion.... You by that 2WD X and you'll regret it.

Always wishing it was a 4X4 in the back of your mind. :(

I'll never be without 4WD as long as I live here in Ohio.

Might only really need it 2-3 times a year but having it during those times

makes it worth the extra cost to me.

Lot's of people I talk to tell me 4WD doesn't help you when it's icy & I say Bull @!*%!

For one, when the roads get icy, it helps maintain control during cornering

Remember all that deep snow & ice we got last winter? During that bad storm?

No way I would've gotten to work or the grocery store without 4WD.

& I think (could be wrong) running open diffs are best for ice. Limited slips are O.K.

but a full locker on ice is an accident waiting to happen.

JM

& I think (could be wrong) running open diffs are best for ice. Limited slips are O.K.

but a full locker on ice is an accident waiting to happen.

I agree with this. My LSD grabs hard and has given me moments of mind boggling thrills when I wasn't careful, just on wet pavement with BGF AT's...

The other side of it is

but it does snow here occasionally

With little offroading and occasional snow, 4x4 isn't very important....

I'll never be without 4WD as long as I live here in Ohio.

I live in Cali and have had a 4x4 for 15 years. Do I need one? Not really. Do I insist on having one? Yes...

Yes, that is contradictory. :shrug:

B

Well, how often do you use 4 on the pathy??

(assuming it's 4wd)

Driving a rear wheel drive (2wd) vehicle in the snow, does take some getting used to.

Driving a rear wheel drive (2wd) vehicle in the snow, does take some getting used to

they say that fwd is better for snow & adverse weather, but I've learned how to react to situations in a rwd its hard taming those reactions so I don't create problems in a fwd car.

as far as ice, open is good if both weels are on ice and it wont send you sideways if one wheel grabs a bare spot. But if your stopped and 1 wheel is grabbing and the other is slick on ice your gonna have to use a little break with the gas @ same time to even out the torque and even then 1 wheel might just sit there and spin while the other does nill.

The regret is wat I'm worried about. I think that I'll probobly always wish that I had held out for the 4x4.

Hey Ticker, look around, there are 4wd Xs for sale in town. I saw one on Friday (private sale) sitting on 36/37 just outside Delaware.

I've seen so 4wd Xs around but this 2wd is about 2 thousand dollars cheaper and unbeliveably clean. And unlike any other vehicle in the price range it didn't seem to need any work. The good thing is I just saw a 98 pathy, 5 speed, 4wd for sale in Pataskala that I'm going to look at as soon as my ride is out of the shop. That would pretty much be the ride I am looking for.

Well, how often do you use 4 on the pathy?? 5-10 times a year. I love knowing that its there when I need it and that no matter what's going on outside I can get to where I need to. You know?

(assuming it's 4wd)

Driving a rear wheel drive (2wd) vehicle in the snow, does take some getting used to. The last rear wheel drive I owned sucked in the snow, 83' 240 volvo, after that I has fwd volkswagens until the pathy. fwd worked great. 4wd obviously rocks.

I think I've made the decision to hold off for now, but keep the X as an option.

Thanks All

After having a 4WD I just cannot bring myself to buy a 2WD truck or truck based SUV. Even if I did not think I would ever use 4WD in a given truck, I thoroughly love the piece of mind just knowing that it's there should i ever need it ;)

My brother used to see no need for 4WD in any truck, and used to buy only 2WD's. Finally after getting stuck and having to be pulled out a few times in the snow (twice by me) he bought is first 4WD (a 1995 Tacoma). He later traded that in, reluctantly on a 2WD Envoy, then a longer version Trailblazer because his wife was sure they needed more space. He hated driving them in any questionable conditions, afraid that he would have to call for help again :lol:

They later traded the TB in on a 4WD Titan... he is dead set against ever owning a 2WD truck again! :beer:

I think 2WD is fine if you just want a daily driver city truck. I think it's a waste of time and money if you want to offroad it.

Pezzy is right that a RWD pathy would suck in the snow, I'm glad I have 4WD for that. Then again if you don't get that much snow it doesn't matter.

RWD isn't that bad in the snow if you're gentle and have a good set of tires. I usually don't shift my pathy into 4x4 until there's ice or at least 3-4 inches of snow. Even then, it's usually just because of the stupidly designed roads around here... I live in a mini-valley.

I live in BC, it's all hills and mountains. Last winter I was living up in the Kootenays (just east of the Rocky mountains) where we got a lot of snow, I ran good snow tires with added weight over the rears and it was still very skiddish in RWD. Few hills in town that I wouldn't have made it up without 4wd. Put it in 4wd though and I had to try to make it loose traction.

Well yeah, 4x4 will almost always be superior to RWD in poor weather conditions. But RWD can, within reason, do most of what 4x4 can do ON ROAD. Again, within reason.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter if you're FWD, RWD, 4x4, or 16 wheel drive... if the driver is incompetent, the truck doesn't matter. Driver skill = #1 thing to consider.

I'll second the driver skill point but I think we need to assume that is in place short of insulting the poster. :D

If you do go with 2wd, cool, get it upgraded to LSD if it doesn't have it one. one wheel drive sucks on the slippery surfaces. :treadmill:

Anyway, my point wasn't so much regarding winter conditions, simply the intentions of the owner. If you're going to offroad it, buy a 4wd. If it's just a daily driver, then sure 2WD would be fine.

Around here any offroading you could do in a 2WD wouldn't be called offroading by anyone into the sport. Hell, I get laughed at for driving a pathfinder in general and have had more than a few people tell me they were suprised I even managed to get it where I have.

Edited by Zibi

I couldn't bring my self to do it. A 2 wd truck just doesn't seem right, I mean why not just get a station wagon. So I traded in my 95 pathfinder for a 98 pathfinder w4wd instead and think Ill be much happier. Now I'll just have to figure out the ins and outs of the R50. fortunately I have you all to help me through it.