Upgrades!

racerdave

So, after a long weekend of neck cramps, smashed fingers, hand cramps, and 2 broken wrenches.

I replaced the motor in my pathfinder with a lower mileage one. Without removing the transmission! Yaay :-)

Still have to hook up the cooling system and plug everything back in, but thats the easy part.

It went from almost 400k miles to 111k.

This week, I will be installing a front and rear diff. I picked up for 100$ local.

The guy says it is LSD, and has 4.63 gears, is that a stock gear ratio?

Also, the rear end has disk brakes instead of drums.

Can I just swap the new rear end in, and hook up the disk brakes without modification?

So far, I have 1k $ into it. Paid 200$ for it, bought a motor for 500$, F&R LSD 100$, and about 200$ in misc. parts.

They told me it could not be done, even after I did it (swap engines without removing tranny) :beer:

That is one of two stock ratios (4.3 and 4.6)

Make sure the front and rear diffs have the SAME ratio!

Seems to be a bit up in the air on simply swapping brake setups, some say it works other say it does not. I plan on this same swap, and am going to try it without changing anything else. If it does not work then I will replace the brake master cylinder with one meant for disk brakes (Disk and Drum MC's have different part numbers)

They told me it could not be done, even after I did it (swap engines without removing tranny) :beer:

Seems to be a bit up in the air on simply swapping brake setups, some say it works other say it does not. I plan on this same swap, and am going to try it without changing anything else. If it does not work then I will replace the brake master cylinder with one meant for disk brakes (Disk and Drum MC's have different part numbers)

somwhere on here there was a clearing of fact and fiction for wd21 disc conversion. I think 88 was a part of the info gathering of info. I beilve the end result was that It can be done with all the right parts for the rear braks and rear e-brake cable and that running the drum brake MC was fine becuause no diffeance was noticed after installing a disc brake specifc MC. let us know how it goes

i did the rear disc swap years back. it works.

i had an arb air locking diff at the time. it had a thrust block in the middle so i had to shim the axles out slightly. no big deal, local nissan place was able to get the shims.

Edited by sw

I have to replace the brake master cyl. anyway so I called around today and I am just going to buy the master for disk brakes.

I was told by a few different people that the proportioning valve on the disk brake master is different than the drum brake master.

Since it needs to be replaced anyway, I am just going with the disk brake one.

I bought the front and rear diff together, guy upgraded and just wanted to get rid of them.

Just so happens it had disk brakes :-)

Is the 4.6 better than the 4.3? Am I going to notice a difference in TQ and is my speedometer going to be off?

I plan on getting some 31x10's on 15" wheels for my only off road upgrade.

I am going to be driving this to work daily after I get her up and running.

Edited by racerdave

I was told by a few different people that the proportioning valve on the disk brake master is different than the drum brake master.

so you've been told and in most cases it would be true but in this case another member here has used both and could not tell the differance between the 2

but since u gotta do it anyway whats it matter right?

have fun! I plan to do a disc swap one day.

so you've been told and in most cases it would be true but in this case another member here has used both and could not tell the differance between the 2

but since u gotta do it anyway whats it matter right?

have fun! I plan to do a disc swap one day.

Same here.

Mines got discs all round, wouldn't have it any other way. :-)

Is the 4.6 better than the 4.3? Am I going to notice a difference in TQ and is my speedometer going to be off?

I plan on getting some 31x10's on 15" wheels for my only off road upgrade.

I am going to be driving this to work daily after I get her up and running.

The brake question has been solved. This is now my question ^^

Edited by racerdave

[All SE models came with disk rear brakes.

Incorrect, there was very little seperation between options and trim levels. Many XE's had the same or even more of the supposed "SE" options than a lot of true SE's did... my SE for example, does not have a lot of the options people claim SE's got, including Rear disks.