Severe Oil 'Leak'

Andrizzle

Hey guys, this is my second post I know. I admit this will seem very noobish considering the wording I will use for this description, but I will give info as you need to help me diagnose.

1988 Pathfinder 4x4 3.0 L

~ 136k miles

My pathfinder is leaking oil terribly. When it is running its almost a constant stream. I took it to the place I get my oil changed and the guy told me I was about a quart low from normal.

I did some inspecting myself and I found where the oil is coming from... At least its coming from this actual thing or where this 'thing' is connected.

NOTE: there was a little plug/wire type thing down next to it and it appears it plugs into this "thing"... I tried my best to plug it back in, I think I have it replugged, but the oil is still spilling out of it.

After watching the spot while the car is running, It appears the oil might be coming from the base of this black "plug thing" which I have been calling it. The oil runs down this plug and then drips to the ground.

Here are pictures, let me know if you need anymore.

GENERAL AREA WHERE OIL IS COMING FROM (VIEW FROM TOP)

33943390ej7.jpg

CLOSER VIEW FROM TOP

44218859ev8.jpg

WIDE SHOT FROM TOP

17114632ku1.jpg

---------

VIEW FROM UNDER CAR

41760821kd1.jpg

19711067fc6.jpg

:[

I'm 98% sure that is your oil pressure sender unit. Above the starter, to the left of the oil filter, correct? It is not uncommon for these to fail (after years) and leak. Why I don't know but the solution is to buy another and replace it. I haven't done it, but I doubt it is too hard if you have the tools to get in there, I'm guessing a crow foot wrench. I don't have price info for you...

B

Ok, looks like $65...

http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?N=1684...4294966237+5606

Ask Alkorahil (I'm sure I spelled that wrong). He runs a Nissan dealership on line parts counter. Look in the Classifieds/Services section for the info... The more we shop with him (and prices are GOOD for dealership items) the more he can justify spending time helping us...

B

Edited by Precise1
web search

So is it possible for this thing to pour out oil if the wire is not connected?

I mean when I initially looked, the wire was dangling and not in anything.... I searched around and put it into this 'plug' i keep calling it.

I dont even know if it is in there correctly... But is this oil pressure send unit suposed to have a wire?

I don't know if the wire missing allows it to leak, but yes, it should have a wire in it; it drives your oil pressure idiot light in the dash.

Eventually, they do leak, and the fix is to replace it... (unless it is loose for some reason??) :shrug:

B

Yea I just saw the part its about 20 bucks.

I don't see how this 'failing' causes a leak. It looks like its just a bolt. If i unscrew it, will oil come rushing out I wonder? lol better grab a pan tomorow just in case!

And if you take it out AND start the engine...YES oil will come gushing out....fast. Mine was replaced w/ a sending unit w/ a gauge (not just a dummy light) and the nylon wire got too close to the exhaust manifold. BRAAP oil all over. I replaced it w/ a copper one and all is good. Just get a new sending unit and do it yourself. Takes 10 minutes and even a girl can do it! :rolleyes:

Yea I just saw the part its about 20 bucks.

I don't see how this 'failing' causes a leak. It looks like its just a bolt. If i unscrew it, will oil come rushing out I wonder? lol better grab a pan tomorow just in case!

Edited by jgt

Just don't ground your wrench out on the starter main wire (Usually a big red cable going directly back to the starters + side) I suggest that you disconnect the battery before you start... just to be safe ;)

Okay I spent most of the day trying to get to the Unit...

I can't do it... Its too crammed. I even turned my wheel all the way to the left and sat up inside of the wheel well and tried to get a wrench in there..

Its basically impossible without a lift... What sucks most is I can get so close to it, I had my face about 12 inches from the part, but couldnt get a wrench to it with the way it was setup down there....

screw nissan, seriously lol.

I did get a really good look @ it though, and the thing is basically coroded out and I can see the fresh oil slowly seaping out of it while the car is off. Its leaking where the plastic peice w/ the wire goes into the base of the sensor. SUCKS

Guess i'm going to have to take it to a mechanic on Monday to get ass-pounded in labor fees. I am going to bring my own part, just hope his business is doing well and he feels okay with not letting me get rocked on charges.

Edited by Andrizzle

I haven't done it, but I doubt it is too hard if you have the tools to get in there, I'm guessing a crow foot wrench.

I'm trying to tell you, but if you don't listen...

Buy a crow foot wrench set (or just the one you need) and it will save you the $ for the mechanic and you will have the tools for later...

B

Okay Im going to try one last try. Im gunna see if I can get it with the wheel off... Although its scary to be under a vehicle while its jacked.

Oh and that is only if I can get the wheel off.. The last guys who did my tires torqued the @!*% outta them.... will be VERY tight :/

Break the nuts loose while it is on the ground, then jack it up and remove them :aok: .

DO NOT RELY ON THE JACK TO KEEP THE VEHICLE UP! Get something to block it up, a jack stand preferably, but something other than the jack while you are "under" it.

WOOT!

with the wheel off it was about a 5 minute job.... Wow. Thanks guys!

pulled the old unit and its entirely rotted out around the plug. The new one I got is a pretty nice one, It was about 45 bucks. From Oreileys, probbaly could have gotten it online for about 24, but I needed my car fixed ASAP.

Once again thanks for the suggestions. 20 year old car so Ill probably be here with a new thread for another problem later! lol