What is your prefered motor oil?

silverlion

Im a HUGE fan of royal purple. I use it in everything, engine, trans,tcase and diffs. Its the only thing i use. Then a k&n oil filter. Not because its the most expensive but because its got that nice little hex thing on the bottom so i can use a wrench to get it off instead of stabbing the mobil 1 filters everytime with a screwdriver to get them off.

I never had to do that with any of my filters. Always took it off by hand and hand tighten...?

I used to use Pennzoil conventional oil for a long time in all my vehicles but when I got my pathfinder, I switched to Mobil 1 10w30 synthetic last year.

I am currently using Castrol GTX Full synthetic 5w30 (on sale at Canadian tire for $35 instead of $60).

I've seen the Royal Purple stuff and thought it looked interesting. I might give it a try.

Oil filter, I used Mobil 1 but not this time around. I went back to using Fram Ultra Guard instead of their economy brand. If I don't like it, I can switch back so w/e.

Edited by Quaintbucket

Now that I have a main seal leak that I'm not ambitious enough to fix, I pour in whatever is on sale or cheapest since I don't care how long it is effective. I'm constantly refreshing it. ;)

The last few have been whatever the mechanic has on hand, but mostly its been Castrol Sytech (for all of my 17+ year old cars I've been buying since 1990) with a Fram filter. The next oil change is going to be a run with Mobil 1 0w20 Full Synthetic for the winter. I'm curious to see how it does here in Montreal during a -40 spell....

The last few have been whatever the mechanic has on hand, but mostly its been Castrol Sytech (for all of my 17+ year old cars I've been buying since 1990) with a Fram filter. The next oil change is going to be a run with Mobil 1 0w20 Full Synthetic for the winter. I'm curious to see how it does here in Montreal during a -40 spell....

Fwiw I run 5w30 all year round in mine and it does just fine in the winter. We are pretty much the same as you temp wise anyway.

Fwiw I run 5w30 all year round in mine and it does just fine in the winter. We are pretty much the same as you temp wise anyway.

This is true! I thought that I might try a lighter oil just for curiosity. More to see what kind of measureable performance and/or mileage gains might be made from it. And it was on sale two weeks ago! !

Baldwin for air filter

wix/Napa oil filter

amsoil oil

these are literally the best you can get based on actual lab and field studies and not just advertising. My girlfriend works in a high end lube shop and is obsessed with proper maintenance . These are the golden ticket if you want the best of the best

Edited by Nefarious

http://www.kc-synthetic-oil.com/AMSOIL-vs-royal-purple.html

here's some good info on the top motor oils. Surprisingly enough, mobile 1 and red line are some of the worst.

amsoil is either at or near the top on every single test. Over all for oil life and wear protection as well as cold crank viscosity it's hands down the best

Edited by Nefarious

Agreed. Wasn't necessarily talking about Amsoil, mainly most else. But there's the price per quart to consider as well when thinking about all of the big brand magical oils. Is it really worth the extra how ever many dollars per quart for an engine that isn't used in racing conditions.

Actually cost per year is least for amsoil than any other oil since it's life span is so long. You will go through 2 oil filters before you have to change the oil. I was surprised by this but the third party tests state 11300 miles of extreme use between oil changes and it doesnt lose wear protection until 25000 miles. Costs 50$ per 11300 miles which is damn reasonable if u ask me. Pretty impressive

Edited by Nefarious

I dont care what oil it is I change it at 5k km. My old pathy didn't get to well over 450k by itself.

Amsoil is great but i cannot justify 15 dollars a litre price.

Edited by adamzan

Well yeah if you are going to change it every 5 K anyways then there's no point at all. Agreed there for sure. My gf has been running it in her pathy for 7 K now and on her second oil filter and the oil is still light tan. We shall see how it works out

That link's an interesting read, but the author needs an editor bad.

I'm not too picky on oils, but I do avoid the dead cheap stuff. I suspect mine didn't see a lot of changes with its previous owners. It seems to burn just a little. I switched from 10W30 to 5W30 and haven't noticed much change so far, except that the oil pressure light stays on for several seconds after starting, which is a little disconcerting.