Help with the front suspension

Ramon

Hello Every one

I had a Pahty 1990 4WD AT and I want to fix by my self the front suspension (specially the central relay rod is totally damaged) But Before I get started I need some help because front suspension handle also the steering and I don't want to lose the alignment

So what is the best way to change the Relay Rod with out loosing the alignment, what kind of tools I need? Do you think is better to do it by my self or pay in workshop? Thanks in advance for your help

Relay Rod = Centerlink?

If so, changing it out shouldn't affect your alignment, though, I wouldn't trust how good the alignment is if the centerlink is toast. It's as simple as unbolting the centerlink, and tie rod ends, and replacing.

As long as you don't adjust your tie-rods... and the replacement centerlink is the same length as the old, the alignment should be unaffected. Easy to change as logn as you are willing to beat out your ball/swivel joints. I NEVER use a picklefork cause it can ruin the greasecaps. I NEVER smack the threads with a hammer to drive it out. I never use a seperator either simply because putting a small sledge behind the joint and hitting the other side with a hammer will knock it loose. It may take a few good whacks but it works.

Centerlink is common name?

So thanks for the answers is very logical that is not affected as long as I don't loose the tie-rods. Thank you so much

By the way what is the name of the "rubber" part in the picture ?

Both are really damaged and I need to replace it but I can find the name of it to find it.

Does any one know if is possible to replace new?

post-6055-1223517890_thumb.jpg

Looks like I really have trouble with my front suspension but I believe is gonna be OK after a few repairs

thanks for your advices

Those are strut rod, or tension rod, or compression rod bushings. They're relatively easy to get, though, from what I hear, a pain in the a$$ to replace.

Those are strut rod, or tension rod, or compression rod bushings. They're relatively easy to get, though, from what I hear, a pain in the a$$ to replace.

I will let you know on the PITA factor when I do them this week, from what it looks like, its just unbolt, slide the old bushings off and slide the new ones on with the crush tubes. Will need a few cans of pb blaster though.

Yes they can be a PITA, since you can't get an impact or even a socket on the nut easily, it's a lot of hand wrenching. On the good side, helps build some pectoral muscles.... :shrug:

Well I've managed to hand wrench most of the bolts on my pathy so far, other than the crank pulley bolt. I'd like to know what the symptoms of them being worn are though....

Ahh THATS where that noise has been coming from.... I've been trying to figure it out for a while now! So many new parts laying around, no time to install them.

Edited by redfinder

on those bushings you may want to inspect the cups they nest into(keeps them centered) if they are worn the rod will dance arround and elongate the hole. If its split or gone(in my case) weld a bearing race or thick piece of 2"OD tubing arround the bushing to keep it centered

Thank you all for all your help

According to what I have done My pathy fells much better I also replace the shock's and now she feels much better

I have read in the others post is very simple to lift a pathy changing only the "huge springs" of the wheels by other car branches I beleive I am going to take that advice and see how see looks after

thank you

:-)

Some clunking when the suspension moves....My 93 had a set that looked fine, till I pulled out of my driveway one day and the thing broke in half with a bang and my driver's side dropped 4".

Ho that's amazing broken just like that? 4" that's a lot in my case actually only when hard turns sounds like "chii" some kind of cat 's screech. and some sounds when switching from forward to reversing

Ahh THATS where that noise has been coming from.... I've been trying to figure it out for a while now! So many new parts laying around, no time to install them.

even worse no enough help to complete it in a day

Ho that's amazing broken just like that? 4" that's a lot in my case actually only when hard turns sounds like "chii" some kind of cat 's screech. and some sounds when switching from forward to reversing

That noise is probably your steering stops in the front.

on those bushings you may want to inspect the cups they nest into(keeps them centered) if they are worn the rod will dance arround and elongate the hole. If its split or gone(in my case) weld a bearing race or thick piece of 2"OD tubing arround the bushing to keep it centered

Thank you for the advice I though the most difficult part is remove the dust in there he he :chairfall: the cups are easy to remove? I wish this things where more easier but as long as my I can I try to do it.

Thank you for the advice I though the most difficult part is remove the dust in there he he :chairfall: the cups are easy to remove? I wish this things where more easier but as long as my I can I try to do it.

I belive the original bushing cups were tack welded in place. It may take chisel and a hammer but if its worn enough it might just fall out (if its still there).

• 2 weeks later...

same here but noise is a little irritant and I have to move the schedule