looking at a 97 to replace my rusted out 95

ticker

So the frame on my 95 is rusted out pretty badly and since I'm a new Dad I'm looking to get something a bit newer. Unfortunately funds aren't all that great right now so upgrading to the 97 seems like a good deal, since it has airbags and the frame isn't going to break in half in the next 6 months.

So it is a 97 with 116,000 for something like $4795. Hopefully I'll be able to negotiate a bit even though this is a "sale" price. It looks really clean in the photos. I was hoping I could get some advice on what to look for in terms of potential problems or issues. If there is a post already out there links to it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Start with looking at anything front end related. Struts, bushings, sway bar links, etc. Give the driveline a good look, rear susp. components. and look over the entire underside for scratches and dents in oil pans, etc. Ask him first if it has been wheeled, then look underneath to keep him honest. I have bought a few "pretty" vehicles to find out later they were in worse shape than a 50 yr old car in a scrapyard. Don't drink when you look, that's how I got a few lemons.

Don't drink when you look, that's how I got a few lemons.

OMG, I take back what I said in the "Alcoholic" thread... put down the beer captain boozy!! :tongue:

As for on topic... struts are a known issue. you may want to know if and when the 02 senors where done (we have a measly 4 of them!!) If it has fender flares, you may want to inspect for rust hiding in them.

OMG, I take back what I said in the "Alcoholic" thread... put down the beer captain boozy!! :tongue:

But Pezzy, that was in the distant past. I am more gooder now!

I forgot about timing belt and o2 sensors. Can reak real havoc on the unsuspecting buyer.

Edited by silverlion

All very sound advice so far. The only other thing I can think of is run the VIN through your local Nissan Service Dep't to see if there are any outstanding recalls or TSBs due, and have the seller (judging by the price of the truck, I'd guess dealer?) take care of them first.

If in doubt, bring it to a trusted mechanic.

• 1 month later...