subframe drop or SAS?

alexrex20

I can only guess a SAS would be a lot more work, being that it is, for the most part, uncharted territory. (although I have heard whispers of two separate people that may be working on a SAS for an R50).

I dont know a great deal about the subframe drop... if you came across Kinat's post, http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=19763 you will see that is what they have been doing in Japan for longer than I have owned my truck. If you look on the AC board, there is a pretty detailed thread of System F's build (someone who trolls that board more often, please confirm that, It's been a while), as he created one for his truck, and sold a couple.

You can also search the term PRADO, a couple guys were working on the lifts under that name, but it never got far. They had a website & forum which is now toast AFAIK, but there may be some info & posts about their lift on the other forums.

will an SAS be just as much custom work? i must admit, it would be nice to be the first(?) SAS R50...

A SAS will be far more custom work, as you would have to decide on the suspension type (leaf springs or coilovers with 3 or 4-link geometry), reinforce or build bracketry to hold the suspension to the body, find a donor axle with the right gear ratio, figure out how to make it steer, accept the loss of your ABS, etc.

You could probably have the fab work for a drop-lift kit done for under $3K, especially if you provide the fabricator with the pics from Kinat's URL's.

That being said, tmorgan over at roninwheelers has been doing a SAS conversion on his 2000 R50. Check it out.

Edited by XPLORx4

thanks for all the replies. as far as the drop kit is concerned, can the front drive shaft take the extra angle from the drop? how do i lengthen the steering? what are the other major steps involved?

Yes, the driveshaft can take the angle. See the photos in Rinat's posts for ideas about how to lengthen the steering.

Edited by XPLORx4

How strong is the subframe on an R50? I've put mine at some pretty weird angles without ever having body flex problems (always been able to open and shut my doors as though it was level) but I'd be worried about bending it if I did a subframe drop or an SAS. An SAS seems like it'd add a lot of stress to the body that it wasn't designed for and with a subframe drop I'd be worried about bending the frame when I high-centre. One of my heep buddies keeps bugging me to do an SAS but I think I'd rather trade in my R50 for a wd21 if I wanted to do that.

Edited by Zibi

The subframe drop as done by most of us will be 4-5inches which will allow 33s. If you can tolerate an increased CV angles you could have up to 7" total lift (still 5" subframe drop) which can allow up to 34-35 with cutting. The subframe drop requires 4 lift blocks for the subframe, 2 motor mount blocks, 2 strut spacers that require a bit of an angle, and a steering extension (add a Ujoint with a matching spline from an R50, some honda's also match). More involved than a coil lift, but still pretty simple.

SAS will be harder and more expensive. But the potential is obviously so much more in terms of lift amount, tire clearance, and suspension travel. Plus you can open new options for gearing, lockers, etc. I wouldn't do it with the 3.3L engine, I am already grossly underpowered trying to turn 33s, although I am limited to 4.6 gears.

For either, you should really assess your goals. A simple 2" AC lift with 32s might meet your goals if you added sliders, skids, etc. Before starting a project as significant as an SAS I would consider if this is really the right platform to start with (a solid-axled, shorter wheel base vehicle with a real frame might be better).

For either, you should really assess your goals. A simple 2" AC lift with 32s might meet your goals if you added sliders, skids, etc. Before starting a project as significant as an SAS I would consider if this is really the right platform to start with (a solid-axled, shorter wheel base vehicle with a real frame might be better).

x2

If you've got the knowledge, money and are motivated to be unique, SAS is amazing. But realistically, you can get so much more done for so much less so many other ways. I can't help marveling at some suzuki samurai's in my local club. Tons of aftermarket support, endless options, supremely capable in the terrain i live in, and cheap. I could build 3 for what i've got in mine already. But for me, i'm already fish hooked. I'm trying to figure out a subrame drop now. I think that will help give me the clearance i want to do what i need to do. But if i knew what i know now...

x2

If you've got the knowledge, money and are motivated to be unique, SAS is amazing. But realistically, you can get so much more done for so much less so many other ways. I can't help marveling at some suzuki samurai's in my local club. Tons of aftermarket support, endless options, supremely capable in the terrain i live in, and cheap. I could build 3 for what i've got in mine already.

If you are talking about a straight trail rig then a Zuk is a good way to go but for most of us the R50 was our daily driver & as time rolls on we make it more & more offroad-capable, but very few of us will ever be able to hang with the big boys. If you wanna run with the boys with SAS's & 38+ then get a WD21 (if you wanna stay with a NIssan) & SAS or go with the earliest 4Runners (very capable & cheap to make a great trail rig)

When people SAS the WD21's they typically do gears as well. The VG30 won't turn anything bigger than a 33" tire (and even that's negotiable) on stock gears. That said, my 5speed was better than my AT is, but by no means was it quick.

When people SAS the WD21's they typically do gears as well. The VG30 won't turn anything bigger than a 33" tire (and even that's negotiable) on stock gears. That said, my 5speed was better than my AT is, but by no means was it quick.

Yeah you never get to use your OD unless you've got a tail wind downhill eh? :thumbsdown:

There is no way the VG33 is underpowered when people are SASing WD21s and running giant tires on them...it will not be agile but the VG33 can turn the tires...

my 3.3 had trouble turning 32's in soft sand. not fun.

The tires I have now are 265/65R17, which comes out to 31.5 inches, and it will spin the tires a little on dry pavement and does just fine around the city...i think it would be fine off road...btw i do have the 4.6 gears too

3.3 SPINNING TIRES??? what the heck, are they street tires or something?

3.3 SPINNING TIRES??? what the heck, are they street tires or something?

street tires would be less likely to spin...bfg rugged trails, a fairly street oriented tire...i think a lot has to do with the 4.6s, i drove my friends that had 4.3s and it mine felt quicker with bigger tires

Fueler: i think you are thinking burnouts...it will spin both tires for maybe a foot before taking off...and its wierd because with my old tires i decided to properly roast them before getting the new wheels/tires, and half the times one wheel would spin and the other half both wheels would spin (i do have LSD but i thought it would break loose before doing that)...

well i have a chevy astro van (cargo van) that can do milky burnouts and 500 foot long tire marks, with the vortec 4.3 V6, so maybe my QX4 just feels slow in comparison (its pathetic i know)