Electrical woes...

Arnz

So, after doing some searching, i don't think I have found my answer, but i think i have a few issues going on.

First of all, ever since I got my 92, the driver's side low beam hasn't worked, however I check/replaced the bulb and that wasn't it. So, recently, my battery light starts coming on while driving, getting brighter at higher rpm's, until the one remain low beam goes out...now, my battery has died..

So what I am surmising is some coincedence...After reading the "common problems pinned topic" I think I have the infamous headlight switch problem which is affecting the headights....and maybe the coincedence is that my alternator/battery has gone in the meantime...

Wanting to figure this out myself, and being slightly mechanically inclined, I went out and bought a multimeter today (good to have right?). So I test the "dead" battery, which won't start the truck, and it reads a somewhat healthy 11.96 V...However, then I jumpstarted it, which worked fine, threw the meter on again, and it read 10.5V, obviously not right...

Being a newb, I just want be sure that my guess of it being 2 issues, and that the charging problem is the alternator, is correct before i go out an buy a new alternator....or do the swap with the maxima one that I read on here :)

Thanks for your patience and help!

Cheers~

Yeah take both the Alt and Battery in and have them tested

With the light getting brighter with the increase of RPM's it sounds as though the voltage regulator may have gone out... which can cause an under or more commonly an over charging problem. Did any of the other lights on the truck brighten with the increase of RPMs?

Is the battery bloated at all (check the sides)? If it is, that is a sign that it has been overcharged, which could have resulted in the battery being damaged.

However, given that your multi meter read 10.5v with it running, that leads to the conclusion that it is undercharging. Which may mean nothing is wrong with the battery and it could just be the alt.

Confused yet? Have them both tested ;)

One or more single beams (low or high, left or right) out with no change when a new bulb is installed does point to the typical switch issue most of us have had to deal with at one point or another. You can take the switch apart, clean and possibly tweak the contacts to make it work a little longer. But speaking from personal experience here, it's not going to extend the life for very long and in the end, even if you repeate this proccess, you will end up replacing the entire switch.

When you do, you might consider installing some relays in the headlight wiring, that will not only move the high power draw of the head lamps off of the switch, thus increasing the lifespan of the new switch, but it can also increase to performance of the lights. :aok:

Thanks for the tips guys...now I guess I just have to get the darn Alt. out...sounds (from what i've read), that I am in for a little patience-testing, knuckle bruising fun...at least I have an uncle-in-law with a lift :)

As for the switch, sounds like a "bright" idea....bwhahahaha

Edited by Arnz

One or more single beams (low or high, left or right) out with no change when a new bulb is installed does point to the typical switch issue most of us have had to deal with at one point or another. You can take the switch apart, clean and possibly tweak the contacts to make it work a little longer. But speaking from personal experience here, it's not going to extend the life for very long and in the end, even if you repeate this proccess, you will end up replacing the entire switch.

what switch you talking about ive got this same problem

Thanks for the tips guys...now I guess I just have to get the darn Alt. out...sounds (from what i've read), that I am in for a little patience-testing, knuckle bruising fun...at least I have an uncle-in-law with a lift :)

As for the switch, sounds like a "bright" idea....bwhahahaha

The alternator is easy, its the starter thats a pain!

Let us know how you make out with the battery/alternator issue.

WIsh I lived near Simon. Everything on mine would work then.

LMFAO...I doubt it. Not everything works on mine! :lol: