Hitch Questions

DaveS

I just made one at work during a slow period. A couple peices of scrap angle and 5/8 flat plate with an angle reinforcement backer. Of course i had to weld it on the rear tow plates (if thats what you call them). It did pull my 14ft trailer loaded with scrap bricks and cinder blocks without a problem,so im satisfied with it. Climb under your pathy and use your imagination. That was a hell of a lot cheaper than the $155.00 quote i got from the parts houses in town for a class 3 hitch!!

Edited by 95shakinPF

around here, all the pathys in the junkyard were driven by people who ran into stuff. Back end is always in great shape (kinda like Pezzy's) but the front needs quite a bit of TLC. This is why I am STILL looking for a replacement bumper.

I'll look and see if any hitches on the oens here but I bought mine at u-haul and put it on myself. failry cheap

I'm with mws and k9sar. For $100ish, you should be able to find a hitch, quite possibly cheaper. Of course, you can make something, but most people don't have the skills/tools required, and when it comes down to it, do you really want to? The price isn't very high and do you really want the liability involved?

B

I'm with mws and k9sar. For $100ish, you should be able to find a hitch, quite possibly cheaper. Of course, you can make something, but most people don't have the skills/tools required, and when it comes down to it, do you really want to? The price isn't very high and do you really want the liability involved?

B

I paid $20 for my stock one from a yard. Still nice and glossy finish too!

My vote goes for a wrecking yard find as well, I picked mine up for $50 several years ago and see them all the time for anywhere between 35 and 70 bucks ;)

And as MWS mentioned, stay away from a pickup bumper unless you are sure that all the towing you are going to do will be light duty at best. If you even think that you might have the need to tow something heavier in the future then hold out for a Class III. I mean, why spend the money twice :togo: