synthetic oil consistency?

pathproud

Ive never heard of any problems with changing over, I did mine at 118k. I just used the Lucas Oil additive to help condition the gaskets just in case there is some leakage. Go for it, mine runs like the engine is brand new.

I recently switched over my '98 with almost 100K miles from regular oil to synthetic with great results, so I say go for it.

As FUELER suggested, I did a couple of oil changes with Castrol 10W-30 Syntec Blend to sort of “flush” the regular oil out, but I really don’t think it’s necessary. Then, about 8 months ago I switched to Castrol 10W-30 Syntec fully synthetic motor oil.

I have done about 3 oil changes since the switch (every 5K miles or so). So far I've had no problems with leaks, and the engine consumes absolutely no oil. Just like before with regular oil, I fill it up to the mark, and when I change the oil a few months latter the dipstick reads at the same exact spot.

I've always done good maintenance on my engine, so it ran very well before the switch, but I swear that after a few oil changes with synthetic oil it has made it run even smoother, especially right after startup.

By the way, I recently also switched to Red Line Synthetic oils in the differentials, transmission (5-speed), and transfer, with the same great results.

I bought my 97' Pathy with app. 121,000 miles on it. Previous owner did all maintence at recommended scheduled intervals with recommended lubricants. I changed to synthetic engine, manual transmission and rear end lubricants with no leaks or burning. The only negative was that it cost a lot more.