HEI Coil install, found apart leaving rust colored stains, also got ECU code 11 & 45

MY1PATH

I replaced my ignition coil with at Summit high energy coil this weekend and I pulled some other stuff to get in there easier. one of the pieces is a round thing that is all rusted up on the inside and whatever goes thru it is leaving a rust colored stain on the inside of the fenderwell below it. I was able to wipe off the stain so no real rust exept inside the part (phew) Anybody know what this thing does? I assume its for emissions, can I live w/o it?

thepartandstainsmall.jpgthestainsmall.jpgthedripsmall.jpgRUSTEDUPINSIde.jpgthepartsmall.jpg

edit: If these pix still haven't come up you can view them all here

Edited by MY1PATH

Right after insalling and having it all back together I took it on the freeway to warm it up b4 checking the timing with the new coil. I got a check engine light (first time in almost 20 yrs) on the way back and it went out b4 I got back. with the bigger coil the timing had advanced to almost 20BTDC (WOW didn't think it would do that) I was really worried that I F*@#'d something up or that the new coil was just too much for it to handle. I ran ECU diagnostics and got code 11 and 45

11 is crank angle sensor and I'm guessing it freaked out becsue the timing was too far advanced.

45 is injector leak- hmm

I cleared the codes and let it run... the light would come on every time I stepped on the gass now. ceck... code 45 ONLY. seached parts america & abc nissan, TBI injectors are expensive! searched here and read that other used injector cleaner and solved it... poured a little LUCAS INJECTOR CLEANER in the tank let it run, rev'd and no light drove it and no light hopefully it stays this way. Kinda glad the light wasn't somthing too serious. gave me a scare for a bit.

edit: what do yall think about the code 11? should I be worried? It hasn't come back.

Edited by MY1PATH

The rusty part is part of the air pump for the EGR system. You might gain a minimal amount of power, but loose some MPG if you remove it (and the parts connected to it).

should I replace it then?

That's the AIV (Air Injection Valve) box and as GrimGreg said, it's part of the emissions system. I have gone through two of them in the past year or so. The original rusted out and the used replacement that I picked up (looked nearly new) is doing the same... and it gurgles :blink:

You can tell when they have rusted through, because you can hear unmuffled (though not extrememly loud) exhaust noise coming from it

Doesn't "look" broken, I'd just clean it up.

the inside is so corroded up that I doubt its doing anything at all. I would say its broken.... and if it helps MPG I think I wanna make sure its working

RedPath88 where did you get yours? I'm not seing it on ABC nissan, or any other parts site....

edit; still no eror codes from the ECU, I think im in the clear.

Edited by MY1PATH

Wrecking yard.... when Bucky's Exhaust voided my muffler warranty due to "extreme heat" (a baffle in the muffler broke loose) they claimed it was due to that and would gladly honor my warranty "IF" I allowed them to replace the AIV @ $600 installed :blink:

Told them where to go... after they ground my reverse gear and nearly drove my truck off the lift while it was still three feet off the ground ...and talked to the original shop who installed the muffler and cat. He had bought his way out of the chain and is now a private shop, but at the time could still bill back to Bucky's. He replaced the muffler for me and said BS about the "extreme heat"

Here is the parts diagram. This one is for the Z24. Teh VG30 is nearly similar. Couldnt tell exaclty if you had a 2.4 or 3.0 from the photos. Looked like a 2.4.

filter.jpg

Edited by Alkorahil

Here is the parts diagram. This one is for the Z24. Teh VG30 is nearly similar. Couldnt tell exaclty if you had a 2.4 or 3.0 from the photos. Looked like a 2.4.

filter.jpg

Wrong part on your diagram there. Looks like part of the system (the AIV solenoid), but not the right part. This is (as you can see in the pic) sitting next to the charcoal canister on the driver's side wheel hump, it is the first thing that the tube from the Cat goes into.

Wrong part on your diagram there. Looks like part of the system (the AIV solenoid), but not the right part. This is (as you can see in the pic) sitting next to the charcoal canister on the driver's side wheel hump, it is the first thing that the tube from the Cat goes into.

Well, that part highlighted in red is the AIV - Air Induction Valve, and we were looking at pics of the air cleaner.

Here is the PAIR assembly (Pulsed Air) , what you are acutally wanting then:

PAIR.gif

Edited by Alkorahil

Well, that part highlighted in red is the AIV - Air Induction Valve, and we were looking at pics of the air cleaner.

Here is the PAIR assembly (Pulsed Air) , what you are acutally wanting then:

yes, now were on the same page thankyou, so how hard is it to get a PAir assembly? Is it worth it? I don't think my rotted out one is doing anything.

Ok perhaps I have the part name wrong, but that is what the muffler shop and also the local Nissan dealer called it :shrug:

No harm, i was wondering why the other pics were included withteh air cleaner :P

No harm, i was wondering why the other pics were included withteh air cleaner :P

lol those other picks are not the air cleaner, I guess the shape can be mis-leading, that is the PAIR valve case and mounting bracket removed from the vehicle.

lol those other picks are not the air cleaner, I guess the shape can be mis-leading, that is the PAIR valve case and mounting bracket removed from the vehicle.

HEH! that would be a small air cleaner now that I think about it, even if it was at an angle :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

OMG!

I've been going round and round with every single auto shop and the nissan dealership on what the Haynes manual calls a "reed valve"

it's hooked to the air induction thing, which mine isnt really in that bad of shape, surprisingly.

someone PLEASE tell me what the part is!!!!!! mine's totally rusted and gone, so I stuck a cork in the hole that little thing it covers.

PAIR.jpg

pm Alkorahil with this thread in mention. He works @ a dealership or somthing and may be able to get it for you. I will be getting the whole assembly from him @ some point down the road.

OMG!

I've been going round and round with every single auto shop and the nissan dealership on what the Haynes manual calls a "reed valve"

it's hooked to the air induction thing, which mine isnt really in that bad of shape, surprisingly.

someone PLEASE tell me what the part is!!!!!! mine's totally rusted and gone, so I stuck a cork in the hole that little thing it covers.

pairreedsmc3.th.gif

The black outline is the AIV Case and the orange is the reed valve you need. The blue one is the reed valve just for the AIV box.

OMG!

PAIR.jpg

that part number circled in brown is

PART NUMBER 14828-16E01.

VALVE-EAI

Nissan List is $38.65. I can get it for you for $23.78 + ship

It is still available.