click, click, goes the starter relay

94extreme

i was at a gas station earlier today and moved my truck from a parking spot to the pumps to get some gas because it was cheap enough. truck started with a bit of a lazy turn of the engine but it's been doing that when battery has been low (loose alt belt). so i fill up and then try to start the truck to go on my marry way but nothing happens when i turn the key except all the bells and lights on the dash; like normal but no noises of any kind. i ask a couple of dudes in a sentra if they'd give me jump.. they do but still nothing.. one says he hears the clicking from the relay. we try this and that and nothing.. no obvious issues from just looking and poking a bit. they end up pushing me backwards and i get it fired up that way.. i get home throw it on a charger and re-charge the battery and then still nothing.. i can hear the relay clicking strong but no fire.. any ideas would be appreciated as this is the freaking last thing i need right now. i am getting to get out of town for vacay so this may have to wait until i return but i do have tomorrow to possibly get this thing running again.

if anyone recalls a link to the thread about the fusable link, link me please but if any other ideas strike any of you, i'll give them all a try. thanks.

:search:

:owned:

:D

No, really... Test relay for output? Check electrical connections at the starter. Bang on the selenoid a few times? Bypass the system and try cranking the starter with jumper cables directly from the battery? (tricky but possible) :shrug:

B

Bang on the selenoid a few times?

B

I did that when mine started to go out, coaced it into working for about 6 months that way. Your solenoid is probably shot, you can buy just the solenoid (I have one in my toolbox), but you might as well just get a whole reman starter since you have to pull the thing to swap the solenoid on it anyway.

Could be the relay for sure......but.........

Be sure you have good connections on the battery...not just tight but also not full of lead oxides (white fluffy crap). Also check the cable from the battery to ground and the positive to the main relay.

now I say this as over the years I have run into this many times on many cars...fords...nissans..mazda....toyota whatever. Half the time the starter relay is bad but the rest it is a connection right at the battery or one of the battery cables on the car end.

Last year the dumbass dealer on my ford replaced the starter said it was bad and the alternator.....accept it did it again. i troubleshot it myself and found the ground cable from the battery loose where it is grounded to the vehicle. the dealer had taken this off on a previous repair and never tightened it.

So before changing the starter check all of this first...takes just a few minutes.

1. check for 12v on the starter (big cable that's easy to get to) This is constant hot.

2. Check for 12V on the 'trigger' wire tot he solenoid (unplug it from the starter, test voltage. should be 0v initially but jump to at least 11v when key is turned to start.

if not 12v to starter main wire, check battery voltage and connections. check fusable link (set of 3 wires coming off positive battery cable. you can look at fusable link )

if not 12v on trigger, bypass the ignition circuit and jumper battery positive to the solenoid on the starter. This will tell you if the problem is in the ignition system. If so, read this :clickdalink:

If there is good voltage to the solenoid and you hear a good 'thunk' but no spinning of the starter, you will need to pull it. Now you have 2 options, buy one or fix yours. Carefully disassemble the starter, being sure that you remember how it goes back together (especially the lever and spring to/from the solenoid). Examine the windings for any obvious short (yes, it will be obvious... black and burnt). If found, buy a new one. If not, continue by cleaning all the dust out of the rotor slots and between the commutator sections. The conductive dust from the brushes can sometimes cause a short by building up in these areas.

post-85-1217860611_thumb.jpg

Put it back together, making sure to seat the brushes on the commutator correctly. Test the fix by throwing a set of jumper cables on it. Ground the case to the truck and clamp one end of the red to the pos battery. Touch the other end of red to the spade on the solenoid (you may need a jumper wire to get at it). If it thunks but does not spin... buy a new one. If it throws the gear out and spins like crazy, you have successfully saved yourself a hundred bucks or so and should get many more years out of the starter.

Edited by k9sar