Idle rpm's

Legalalien

Hi every one,My truck usualy idles about 900 RPM but some times (specialy when the weather is hot) it will idle at about 1300 RPM I have checked all the vacum hoses and replased the ones that didn't look to good hoping to eliminate the problem but it keeps doing the same thing. Any help will be greatly apreciated.

The best way to check for intake vacuum leaks is with WD-40 or something like that. Spray the suspect area and if the idle increases you have fount a leak. Make sure to check any diaphrams for proper function, the procedure should be in your manual. Cleaning the MAF can't hurt but probably is not the issue. Have you tried checking the ECU codes when the idle is high? It might indicate a sensor...

Others will have more to check, but I like to cover the basics first, and go from there. :shrug:

B

Hi every one,My truck usualy idles about 900 RPM but some times (specialy when the weather is hot) it will idle at about 1300 RPM I have checked all the vacum hoses and replased the ones that didn't look to good hoping to eliminate the problem but it keeps doing the same thing. Any help will be greatly apreciated.

Does it do this when the AC is on or has been on?

Does it do this when the AC is not on and hasnt been on?

Try turning the heater on full blast with the fans going at top speed for a few minutes and see if anything changes.

You may want to leave all the windows open during this experiment.

Another thought: When was the last time the radiator was flushed?

Does it do this when the AC is on or has been on?

Does it do this when the AC is not on and hasnt been on?

The A\C in my truck has not work since I have own it; it still has R12 in it but not enough presure to activate and I have no money to get the system resposibly evacuated for the R134a convertion. :( I'm guesing that you where thinking about a malfunctioning Idle up senuloid?

Try turning the heater on full blast with the fans going at top speed for a few minutes and see if anything changes.

You may want to leave all the windows open during this experiment.

Another thought: When was the last time the radiator was flushed?

Yup, I thought that hi temp was the problem so I back flushed the radiator and replased the termostat (the temp gauge was not working at the time due to a bad voltage reduser) I have repased the vr and the temp gauge stays at about 1/3 of the way up even when the truck is idiling hi. :shrug:

The best way to check for intake vacuum leaks is with WD-40 or something like that. Spray the suspect area and if the idle increases you have fount a leak. Make sure to check any diaphrams for proper function, the procedure should be in your manual. Cleaning the MAF can't hurt but probably is not the issue. Have you tried checking the ECU codes when the idle is high? It might indicate a sensor...

Others will have more to check, but I like to cover the basics first, and go from there. :shrug:

B

Ain it F----- up when you get so involved tryng to find a solution to a problem that you forget to check the easy things? :blush02: Thanks for reminding me dude I'll check for codes the next time it idles hi.

• 4 weeks later...

Finaly figured ou the problem, it was the damed PCV valve hose,(the one that conects the valve with the tube that runs under the intake) it had hardened and cracked and I guess it was shrinking when it got hot and creating a vacum leak. the mestup thing is that it looked perfecly good and if i had not lost my balance and grabed the damed thing I probably still be looking for the cause. Thanks to all of you that gave me sugestions.

hahaha, no way, talk about dumb luck. i wish i had some of that right now. hopefully the new MAF sensor arriving tomarrow straightens out my rig. im totally out of ideas, and time, and luck. its a battle daily to keep convincing my wife thats its not time to junk it yet

its a battle daily to keep convincing my wife thats its not time to junk it yet

Heck mine thinks it's great I have a complete extra truck at work in case I need a motor or something, that and I think she wants to be the one to sawzal the back off if I get the ambition.