Manual Hubs On An 03

ronin152

Talked to Alex about putting manual hubs on an all-mode 03 pathfinder. He said that the oil pump for the transfer case is driven off of the front drive shafts so it would not be a good thing to use manual hubs. Any one have any experience?

You cant use manual hubs on an all mode 4x4, screws with the sensors and throws the CEL if the thing about the oil pump is true also an even bigger reason why you cant do that. The manual hubs will only work on the manual 4x4.

Haha great...... :togo: I had planned on getting manual hubs to go with my AC lift I just purchased. The whole reason I got the AC lift is because I thought I could put on manual hubs to lessen the wear on CV's. This is great to find out. I confirmed it but looking at a parts description and there is indeed an oil pump in the transfer case? The stick shift trans case doesn't have one? Dammit nissan!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~It all has to do with All-Mode...not manny or automatic transmission~~~~~~~~~~

If you can switch into 4WD with the lever than you can use manual hubs....if it is auto on the knob than you must keep the stock auto hubs.

In QX$'s there was a combo for a while that had a knob and the lever at the same time...these folks were safe for hub AFAIK.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~It all has to do with All-Mode...not manny or automatic transmission~~~~~~~~~~

If you can switch into 4WD with the lever than you can use manual hubs....if it is auto on the knob than you must keep the stock auto hubs.

In QX$'s there was a combo for a while that had a knob and the lever at the same time...these folks were safe for hub AFAIK.

Not necessarily true. My 98 has the knob for selecting 4x4 and the floor shifter for selecting low and I got errors. You can search for the thread under my username a few years ago. I still have the manual hubs but only to disconnect the front in case of breaking a shaft.

I read your thread. What ended up happening? Do we have anyone who has just a knob and has hubs? Does it work? It doesn't make sense to me though why you need a pump for the t-case? Doesn't the oil just slosh around and cool the gears? When I engage my 4x4 into 4hi I hear a low whirling noise from the transcase. I wonder if this is the electric pump working? I only hear it in 4x4. From the pictures I looked at it seemed as if the the oil pump was beteween the main drive gear and the front drive gear on the chain. But is CV wear that big of a deal if you have the AC lift? How soon will the cv's wear if you are a DD and do wheeling maybe 2-3 times a month that is moderate?

Not necessarily true. My 98 has the knob for selecting 4x4 and the floor shifter for selecting low and I got errors. You can search for the thread under my username a few years ago. I still have the manual hubs but only to disconnect the front in case of breaking a shaft.

OOPs, I stand corrected! You were the QX4 I had in mind!

I think then that there is no one with a knob that unlocks their hubs....the reason for all this mess is that your RIG identifies slip and grip (to some degree) and continuously adjusts 2wd or 4wd, so.....it needs its pump to provide instant reaction. If the "pump" is truly electric, then can't this be bypassed to run on another manual switch? Then with the error codes just keep then so it does not try to spin the front CV's?? I thought that this pump was driven by the front shafts then selves and this is what leads to problems.

If I am not mistake didn't all-modes also come standard with the LSD 4.6's? or aybe in the 3.5 R50 they were still 4.3's with LSD?

My X GF has an R50, I put manual hubs on that..and worked fine, but it wasn't electronic 4X4, it had a shifter.

All mode(automatic 4x4) has to stay auto hubs

Manual 4X4(shifter) can have manual hubs.

My X GF has an R50, I put manual hubs on that..and worked fine, but it wasn't electronic 4X4, it had a shifter.

All mode(full-time 4x4) has to stay drive flanges.

Part-time 4X4(shifter) can have manual hubs.

Fixed it for ya!

Fixed it for ya!

"you for your e-mail. I personally have not heard of any body overheating with manual locking hubs. First time I have heard this.

If we can be of any further assistance or you wish to order, call or you can order on line at"

It some times makes me wonder if AC really know what the hell they are really doing? Dean do you think that it will really be a problem to run the AC lift with out manual hubs?

Thanks

you got my point though

That is bad news, I planned to put on an OME lift, but I have the Auto 4x4 knob on my '03 Chilkoot. Has anyone had experience with the OME lift without the Manual Hubs? I definitely could use another 2 inches clearance on the Pathy so would like to find a way to lift without damaging the CVs.

"you for your e-mail. I personally have not heard of any body overheating with manual locking hubs. First time I have heard this.

If we can be of any further assistance or you wish to order, call or you can order on line at"

It some times makes me wonder if AC really know what the hell they are really doing? Dean do you think that it will really be a problem to run the AC lift with out manual hubs?

I'm not sure how overheating is related to hubs at all, so I'm confused why they would mention it.

I honestly cannot say how risky it is to run the AC lift without manual hubs. However, I can say that I ran my 2" lift with the stock drive flanges for quite some time without incident before deciding to upgrade to manual hubs.

The CV angles are still within the normal operating range with the AC lift, so they won't break, but the increased angle may potentially cause the boots to wear faster, so you should keep an eye on them more frequently.

I honestly cannot say how risky it is to run the AC lift without manual hubs. However, I can say that I ran my 2" lift with the stock drive flanges for quite some time without incident before deciding to upgrade to manual hubs.

The CV angles are still within the normal operating range with the AC lift, so they won't break, but the increased angle may potentially cause the boots to wear faster, so you should keep an eye on them more frequently.

Good call Dean. I ran my lift for almost a year before installing manual hubs & didn't tear up any CV's while running 2" lift coils & stock drive flanges. Although I tore-up 3 CV axles before the lift with stock coils & no man. hubs... damn mud & rocks & sticks & what not...

Ronin, just swap your tcase out for a part-time lol. I've actually be thinking about putting a qx4 knob/lever shift into my xterra because it has a lower 4low ratio then the tx10. IMO I dont know why the auto tcases have a pump. The fluid just gets sloshed up into everything in there. Only difference is that there is a motor that engages the 4x4 instead of a lever on the tcase but im probably wrong. I wanna look at the diagrams a little better when I get home.

Ronin, just swap your tcase out for a part-time lol. I've actually be thinking about putting a qx4 knob/lever shift into my xterra because it has a lower 4low ratio then the tx10. IMO I dont know why the auto tcases have a pump. The fluid just gets sloshed up into everything in there. Only difference is that there is a motor that engages the 4x4 instead of a lever on the tcase but im probably wrong. I wanna look at the diagrams a little better when I get home.

Any chance you could bypass the pump and hook it up to a switch?

Dude, why would you swap in an all-mode t-case instead of getting crawler gears for the TX10? (except if you could get the all-mode t-case for dirt cheap).

idk.. the ATX14A is a very complex transfer case. Its almost like a mini automatic transmission. It has a valvebody and everything. I cant see exactly in the FSM that the main oil pump is driven off the front driveshaft. There is a sub oil pump that probably turns on when the main oil pump isnt working right. best way to tell if you have problems is take your drive flanges off and drive around and see if you get the warning light. then if it blinks see what the sequence is and look it up in the FSM and it'll tell you what the transfercase computer is freaking out about.

idk.. the ATX14A is a very complex transfer case. Its almost like a mini automatic transmission. It has a valvebody and everything. I cant see exactly in the FSM that the main oil pump is driven off the front driveshaft. There is a sub oil pump that probably turns on when the main oil pump isnt working right. best way to tell if you have problems is take your drive flanges off and drive around and see if you get the warning light. then if it blinks see what the sequence is and look it up in the FSM and it'll tell you what the transfercase computer is freaking out about.

r50_332-4.gif

From this picture it looks like the oil pump runs in between the the main drive shaft and the front drive shaft. But it looks like it runs on the chain so the front would have to be engaged. Don't see any secondary pump.

I hope I dont get flamed or banned for this!! Would it be possible to do a mod like this:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showth...own+wire+thread

It basically electrically tricks the computer and gives you true 2 wd. I'm debating on doing this my my Explorer since I have a similar Auto 4x4 feature. Seems alot like the Auto 4x4 on nissans but I am sure things in there are different. Thought I would throw it out there.

Here in OZ we use FWH on our R50's with all mode all the time the 4WD light comes on but dont worry about it here is a link to our pathy site that may help . Cheers Ken ..................... http://pcoa.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1515 http://pcoa.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3...highlight=#3951

Edited by parthy

I have had manual hubs on my 03 pathy for over a year now and have had no problems and yes I only have the knob set up. Just have to remember to lock the hubs before you switch to 4wd. Return knob to 2wd and unlock the hubs. I have the OME lift if that makes a diffrance to anyone.