Front grill

g204life

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With just standard sealed beams there is a noticable difference when aimed correctly, with H4 conversions and non-overkill bulbs they are a notch or 2 better. Overkill bulbs would proably be excelent but I don't think the factloy wiring would hold up the greatest(saying from experience with my Hardbody melting a plug or 6 out of it plus wiring at multipule locations and 1 headlight switch which could have been just age)

"when aimed correctly"? are they harder to aim? narrower or wider beam? I know the lights on my dodge stratus have such a wide beam that its impossible to find the "center"of the light on a wall to aim them. Its not like that is it?

"when aimed correctly"? are they harder to aim? narrower or wider beam? I know the lights on my dodge stratus have such a wide beam that its impossible to find the "center"of the light on a wall to aim them. Its not like that is it?

We make sealed beam components where I work. I can tell you that different models are going to give you different beam patterns, so you need to read the label and know what you're buying.

One company may offer several different styles of headlight, all w/ varying beam spreads.

I used a dumpy set of Ebay "projectors" that I had laying around on my conversion, so I don't have much of a basis of comparison ATM.

In my opinion, the best part about the sealed vs composite is the availability of replacement.

Instead of going out and finding a donor, or paying $90 for a replacement headlight unit, you just go down to NAPA and buy a 6054 lamp. 10 bucks. Quick and easy.

Maybe even cheaper at Wally World.

The hardest part of the swap was finding a good donor for the buckets. The headlight brackets are quick to rust on the HB.

I had to go through several before I found a set intact.

Here's my install, though not very detailed.... http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=17403

I'd put together a wiring diagram, but I used a harness from a 240sx with plugs for easy removal later. I don't know how this would compare to the HB wiring.

I'm almost certain that the colors are different.

My lighting comparison is not verry fair for the Pathy end, a blind person aimed the original ones. Having owned a number of Hardbodys before getting my Pathfinder, the parts were verry easy for me to find, including multipule grille choices. The sealed beams are easy to aim as well(using normal bulbs, not H4s that is). Like stated the H4 conversion opens up more choices but can be a Pain depending on which housings you get to aim.

Overkill bulbs would proably be excelent but I don't think the factloy wiring would hold up the greatest

This is where one needs to install after market relays for any alterations to the headlights. Along with heavier wiring.

The factory wiring is fine to supply the relays, just beef up the wiring from relays to plugs and from battery to relays.

I did a write-up a while back on here regarding how to wire in relays if anyone's interested.

My ebay lights use H4's. I hadn't had a problem until just the other day, when they went on the blink (literaly) and the d-side finaly blew... I got pulled over shortly after.

I'd just chalked it up to cheap bulbs, but heavier wiring doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Got a link on that write-up Pete?

BTW: What's an "Overkill" bulb?

When I melted my Hardbody away I had red bulbs, I forget what the lighting power was but it was a little higher than nessecary, when they worked they were extremely bright, when it snowed was kinda cool too, the flakes reflected red. Was more of a distraction than anything though. That and they were a little bit illegal in PA.

I sopose the phantom grille from AC's could be made to work with the pathy if the bars where the lights go get trimmed off. I bet It would still look pretty good to. I just wouldn't really be phantom anymore cause the lights are visible.

And On that note this weekend I trimed a HB grille to fit my pathy lights cause it was the cheapest grille I could find (was sporting chiken wire for a while)and I like the "v"style grille better. I did not do the headlight conversion because I already have $$$ invested in the existing style lights. I think it looks pretty good, I gotta make a filler piece to hide the gaps above the lights (HB lights sit about 1" higer) but I will post pix here after thats done.

I sopose the phantom grille from AC's could be made to work with the pathy if the bars where the lights go get trimmed off. I bet It would still look pretty good to. I just wouldn't really be phantom anymore cause the lights are visible.

If you just want an aluminum "bar" grille w/o changing lights, it may be cheaper to just order one custom.

I bulit a custom grille for my kids power wheels that way. Just ordered a length, then trimmed to fit with a jigsaw.

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j6/crazy...Grave%20Digger/

And http://www.mrgrille.com/

• 2 weeks later...
... I trimed a HB grille to fit my pathy lights cause it was the cheapest grille I could find (was sporting chiken wire for a while)and I like the "v"style grille better. I did not do the headlight conversion because I already have $$$ invested in the existing style lights. I think it looks pretty good, I gotta make a filler piece to hide the gaps above the lights (HB lights sit about 1" higer) but I will post pix here after thats done.

AND HERE IT IS!

daygrille.jpg

I THINK ITS AWESOME!

Few More PIX here

I'm having trouble deciding...

what do yall think of the blackouts?

Blackouts.jpg

I Originaly bought them when I found out my aftermarket lights had plastic lenses. I was weary of the durabily and ease of scratching vs Glass. But then I looked arround and realized over 75% of the vehicles arround me today have plastic lenses and maybe its not so bad. Plus I have to take the covers off @ night cause they dim the lights too much... I'm leaning towards just leavin em off (at least while I have a night job)

I think they compliment the black grill and make the blue bars stand out more. Much better then the white lights.

I'd leave 'em.

I know what you mean about them being too dark though. The GTS covers are a PITA at night.

I had a set on my Sentra. Had to take them off on long drives. Drove the wife crazy (her vision sucks anyhow).

You can beat that w/ a set of small driving lights mounted under the bumper. More light w/o killing the effect of the blacked-out front end.

They look good with the grill, but it is hard to tell how they look with the rest of the truck

I am planning on putting Herculiner on my hood, fenders, sides (from the handles down), bumpers and tire carier :ph33r: . So if you decide not to use them I might be interested in them.

I'll try to remember that 92,

I do plan on doing heculiner up to the body line (hopefully next summer) a hercline stipe between the gutters on my hood and the roof of my vehicle. the rest is going a darker blue. I don't know if thats enough black to make em look better and they will also be sitting behind a black Smitty built bumper. EH, I still don't know... thanks 4 the input guys.

Not personally a fan of them but they do blend well with the grille, as long as you can put up with pulling them every time you drive at night(I know it's not exactly rocket science, more less annoying to constantly have to put on/;take off/put on/etc.) I'd leave em on.

I'll try to remember that 92,

I do plan on doing heculiner up to the body line (hopefully next summer) a hercline stipe between the gutters on my hood and the roof of my vehicle. the rest is going a darker blue. I don't know if thats enough black to make em look better and they will also be sitting behind a black Smitty built bumper. EH, I still don't know... thanks 4 the input guys.

Sorry to jack, but where did you get the Smittybilt? All I can find for front bumpers is the ARB and that one is $$$