New wheels in the stable

Precise1

Well, she has deserved this for a while. The basic understanding was that she can consider a new car once she had graduated from college, and that was a year ago. Her 95 Civic with 230k+ on it is a little champ, but the radio craps out, the AC has no chance of working again (the estimate was the cars value) and it has other minor issues. We are keeping it as the 3rd car for emergencies, errands, etc... She commutes 60+ miles a day and needed a more reliable car; I don't want phone calls about 'dead on the side of the road' type crap!!! Well, we looked around (she had her heart set on a Toyota Matrix, something that I supported) for a bit, made some phone calls, then drove around today to a few dealerships. Well, in Vallejo we found one that seemed to fit the bill and then I played my role of ex-car salesman, dickered with them for a bit and here is the GF's new (to her) car.

It's a 2004 XR with 59k on it, 3 month/3k mile bumper to bumper warranty, 7year/100k mile power train warranty (about 2.5 years as per her milage) out the door for $13,700 ($12,500 price). It's got some goodies like a nice stock stereo, 100watt 110V plug built in, rear defroster/wiper, etc. A few little dings and plastic covers missing but it was a 1 owner car from Arizona and pretty clean on the whole. It's amazing how much room is in the back when you fold the seats down!! Not the same payload, of course, but I swear it would hold at least 2/3 the volume of my pathy. Good handling and 35mpg to boot.

The happy new owner...

SmokySunrise004.jpg

A crappy inside photo...

SmokySunrise006.jpg

The back (without the seats down) still offers some real space...

SmokySunrise007.jpg

And the overall car without some chick blocking the view...

SmokySunrise010.jpg

The agreement is that she pays me back, but I have yet to see a dime for anything in the past. We'll see...

B

You park cars way to damn close to each other.

You mean his path and the civic? Ha we park ours like that in the winter to squeeze them all into the driveway as it is illegal to park on the street here in the winter. It's only an issue if you don't have a good feel for how close you are!

Wow, very nice (the car looks good, too). :) Dunno if they share the same platform, but I drive a 2006 Corolla for work and have put 81k hard miles on it in the last 2 1/2 years without any issues whatsoever. If its anything like mine, she'll prolly want a new car before she'll need one.

:bounce: on i'm so happy she got a new car!!!!!!! she's such a sweetheart and i have been in that civic..... nice as it still runs.. it was time for semi retirement there.

CONGRATS!!!! :hugs:

Thanks for the condolences and congratulations. :)

While it's her car, I can't help but share her excitement. It really is a pretty slick little vehicle. She is generous enough to let me drive it...

You park cars way to damn close to each other.

Thats because the neighbor has homecare help that comes by every day to help with his bedridden wife. Problem is, they always park where the Pathy is, which means when I get home from work, I can't park where I normally do. Maybe it's petty, but sometimes it pisses me off. I put the Honda there so if I squeeze in tight like that, there is just enough clearance for the driveway. No one with a vehicle the same length as the pathy or longer can reasonably park there now. If they try and start to block the driveway, I'll park their ass in and wait for them to ring the doorbell so I can explain how it is... :shrug:

Wow, very nice (the car looks good, too). smile.gif Dunno if they share the same platform, but I drive a 2006 Corolla for work and have put 81k hard miles on it in the last 2 1/2 years without any issues whatsoever. If its anything like mine, she'll prolly want a new car before she'll need one.

Yeah, pretty sweet unit, and I like the car too... :) I don't know much about the Toyota platforms, but I'm curious if your Corolla has the VVT-i 16 valve 1.8 liter 4 banger in it? I plan to read up on them tonight, but overall consumer ratings for the vehicle average between 4.5-4.8 out of 5 so I'm pretty confident. Besides, it's a Toyota (I like Nissans, but won't ever talk crap about Toyota unless it's to needle Red...:). Thankfully, she is pretty reasonable about wanting 'new this and more that'. I sort of had to convince her that there were many reasons why it was appropriate to get her a new car; hell, she drove the last one 7 years. I figure if she has the car for 5 years it will have 150k on it (current circumstances projected) and by then it'll probably be a good time to sell and get something else. Maybe do the same thing, dump the honda and keep the Matrix as back up. Anywho, is this the motor in your Corolla?

Matrix003.jpg

on i'm so happy she got a new car!!!!!!! she's such a sweetheart and i have been in that civic..... nice as it still runs.. it was time for semi retirement there.

CONGRATS!!!!

Thanks Slick, so is she. Like I said before, she needs/deserves it. The important thing is that she got what she wanted so hopefully she'll be a little nicer and more forgiving... ;)

B

Thanks Slick, so is she. Like I said before, she needs/deserves it. The important thing is that she got what she wanted so hopefully she'll be a little nicer and more forgiving... ;)

B

hehehe. guess we won't be seein ya on the forums much for a while then............. hehehe. you go girl! :beer:

SmokySunrise010.jpg

It's only an issue if you don't have a good feel for how close you are!

Holy Christ they are hitting one another...

BTW that sucks about the wallet/money but ya gotta keep the little ladies happy man.

hehehe. guess we won't be seein ya on the forums much for a while then............. hehehe. you go girl!

You are right, I'm much too busy working overtime, gardening and cooking... :blink:

The little biatch has me well trained! :)

OOOLALA...nice ride, oops, I mean sweet import, d'oh, I meant no junk in that trunk, BLAST! what I meant to say was you have acquired a fine automobile. Whew!!!

Bastage!! But, yeah...

Holy Christ they are hitting one another...

BTW that sucks about the wallet/money but ya gotta keep the little ladies happy man.

Nope, 6" apart. I pulled up today and cut it down to 4" without trying. It's easy!! It's 4pm, do you know where your bumper is...??

I have a foot to spare behind me for the driveway so I'll back off a bit next time. ;)

Yeah, it's a chunk of $, but no payments. I'll just work more... :blink: She does let me drive it though!

Yeah, happy she is!! It makes me smile to see her excitement... (chump)

Nice! Great choice.

Thanks Mookie, I thought so too...

B

Looks good now you completed the Japanese family. Nissan, Honda, and now Toyota

Cars, I suppose, but I have had a Honda motorcycle since 2001.

I'm working on the German clan also. There's a VW Bug and BMW motorcycle lurking in the garage also... ;)

B

Congrats B, and B-ette! Good choice. They are great cars. They are the same as the Corolla. They share platform, drivetrain and even a few body panels. They're even built in the same plant.

Congrats B, and B-ette! Good choice. They are great cars. They are the same as the Corolla. They share platform, drivetrain and even a few body panels. They're even built in the same plant.

A friend of mine's father has like 400,000kms on an 04 and its still running great. Wow, he drives a lot :lol: Its a stick and still has the original clutch.

They are the same as the Corolla. They share platform, drivetrain and even a few body panels. They're even built in the same plant.

Thanks for the info Simon. I haven't been able to do as much research as I want to so far. I do know there are VERY few resonable complaints about the vehicle. I'll get back to you in 5 years... ;)

B

My 98 corolla has about 150,000 miles and doesn't burn a drop of oil.

Use to be wifes car, but she got the new Camry and I'm sportin the Toyota lowryda(Corolla) now(gas mileage rules though and she let me keep my Pathies!-)

Anywho, is this the motor in your Corolla?
I'm glad Simon could answer your question. Mine's a company car with a service conract at Midas, so I never paid attention. I've popped the hood like twice in the last two years and that was just to jump the Pathy.