Kinda long question (NEED HELP!)

scarboy

Ok. Kind of confusing post so bear with me please.

I recently wrecked my 95 Pathfinder (3.slow-manual-4x4) and the body is not salvageable, but the drivetrain is still alright except for the front end (rad, grill, lights, bumper).

I found a 1995 Pathfinder with a perfect body ( 3.slow-auto-4x4) for cheap but it has a blown motor. I want to swap my motor into the pathfinder with the good body but my dad told me that my engine wouldn't work in the pathfinder with the good body because it has an automatic transmission and the pathfinder I have is a manual transmission.

My question is will this work, or just be a huge headache that I will regret? Will all of the sensors work or will some have to be swapped over or anything like that?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Edited by scarboy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, should be a straight swap. The only difference will be the pilot bearing where the input shaft of the trans slides into the engine's crankshaft. The auto will have one, the manny won't. The engine in mine is from a front wheel drive A/T minivan (I think) scrapped in Japan. I used my old intake manifold and whatnot since they were different and removed the piolt bearing, but your swap should be even easier.

Ok. Kind of confusing post so bear with me please.

I recently wrecked my 95 Pathfinder (3.slow-manual-4x4) and the body is not salvageable, but the drivetrain is still alright except for the front end (rad, grill, lights, bumper).

I found a 1995 Pathfinder with a perfect body ( 3.slow-auto-4x4) for cheap but it has a blown motor. I want to swap my motor into the pathfinder with the good body but my dad told me that my engine wouldn't work in the pathfinder with the good body because it has an automatic transmission and the pathfinder I have is a manual transmission.

My question is will this work, or just be a huge headache that I will regret? Will all of the sensors work or will some have to be swapped over or anything like that?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

You should be able to, I don't know much about swapping motors but you might have to swap the flywheel I think (jj big shoe got it)??? Other than that I think they're pretty much the same. Are you planning on swapping trannys as well?

If you do go ahead with it, it might be a good time to change the timing belt, water pump, and fix any leaks on the good motor, while you have it out :aok:

I'm sure one of the veterans will chime in soon. LOL

Edited by redfinder

Nope, should be a straight swap. The only difference will be the pilot bearing where the input shaft of the trans slides into the engine's crankshaft. The auto will have one, the manny won't

since when do autos use a spigot bush?

if you have a maunal transmission & your not running a spigot bush your asking for trouble :blink:

dude swap the engine and MT over...then you just have to throw over the pedals and hydrolics and remove the floor panel and short the "park interlock" switch (or integrate it with the cltuch interlock switch) and call it good...thats what I would do if it were me

the manual has a pilot bearing or bishing in the end of the crankshaft. the automatic will have a tc centering insert in the end of the crankshaft... simple swap.

JJ called it. to help give you a hint, the pic i have linked is to the motor i built mini. it was from an auto pathy, and mini is 5 speed. you will have to change the pilot bearing. as you can see, on manuals, it sits flush. on auto, to comes to the edge of the lip (see arrows)...... hope this helps. (btw.. it's a $2 part)

Auto to manual pic

Edited by Slick

Slick, Did you paint that motor purple????

yes. it's dodge plumb crazy purple. took me 3 weeks to clean, prep, build that motor and 1 day to put it in. 1 week to turn it dusty brown lol. this is the motor i built. i bought the motor from a wrecked 93 with 170k on it.

PTHeadsIntakeOn2.jpg

PTIPOn2.jpg

this is after i painted and honed the cylinders.....

PurpleTurdHoned1.jpg

Edited by Slick

yes. it's dodge plumb crazy purple. took me 3 weeks to clean, prep, build that motor and 1 day to put it in. 1 week to turn it dusty brown lol. this is the motor i built. i bought the motor from a wrecked 93 with 170k on it.

PTHeadsIntakeOn2.jpg

PTIPOn2.jpg

this is after i painted and honed the cylinders.....

PurpleTurdHoned1.jpg

messy work area.

tsk tsk tsk :nono:

messy work area.

tsk tsk tsk :nono:

NOT.. my garage. ex bf's place.... IF i HAD a garage, it would be very tidy. i am a tidy person...... but that was what I had to work in at the time.

Nice job Slick....The color is interseting to say the least.

And how does she run...with 170k plus what ever you put on it?

funny enough, engine i took out only had 132k on it. this engine is real strong, and mini loves it. i've put 40k on the 170k engine.... (* pats self on backf or brilliant build job)

oh, as for my choice of color, i have always LOVED the color PCP........ never paint a truck that color.. so an engine was my next option.

Edited by Slick

funny enough, engine i took out only had 132k on it. this engine is real strong, and mini loves it. i've put 40k on the 170k engine.... (* pats self on backf or brilliant build job)

oh, as for my choice of color, i have always LOVED the color PCP........ never paint a truck that color.. so an engine was my next option.

Is there a main engine harness I can just disconnect from the engine wiring or do I have to pull every connector?

Is there a main engine harness I can just disconnect from the engine wiring or do I have to pull every connector?

unfortunately, that is the MOST tedious part of the entire engine pull..... vaccum lines, sensors, wiring harnesses........ do what i did....... go to wal mart, grab so uber bright multi color sticky labels, a black perm marker, and a pad of paper......... take one line/wire off atta time, put the same color sticker on each end, put like X-1 on each sticker, then, when it comes to putting it all back together, it's like connect the dots. it worked out real well for my first engine pull (i have done 4 now.. on different trucks).......

here's a pic of what i mean.....

build0515.jpg

labeling things, taking pictures, and taking your time is the best advice. Me and my friend tore out the engine and tranny out of his Mazda RX-7 a little over a year ago. He didn't label wires, take pictures, or really pay that much attention to things. He's paying for it now!

So there are a lot of connectors and stuff?

Well, I'm glad to have you guys/gals here to help me on this....

BTW: I'm a seventeen year old kid doing the swap. The only other things I have done to my pathfinder are a timing belt and pulling the intake manifold. I am paying for this myself with my job as a lifeguard, and doing all the labor alone!

BTW: I'm a seventeen year old kid doing the swap. The only other things I have done to my pathfinder are a timing belt and pulling the intake manifold. I am paying for this myself with my job as a lifeguard, and doing all the labor alone!

doing a timing belt is fair task, i know lots of people that would give it a miss.

:aok:

:beer:

Edited by sw

and doing all the labor alone!
Doable, but not easy. That's how I did mine. The biggest PITA was getting the front axle back in. I got it out without removing the torsion bars, but had to pull one to get it back in (which almost sparked another rant about IFS suspension) I swear the next time I have to remove it, my truck will be either SAS or 2WD. I'm not putting it back in.

Also, be sure to take a good look at the angle of the engine before you pull it. If you don't have a leveling plate on your hoist you'll want to attach the chains so the engine sits at that same angle when installing it. It'll make getting the trans shaft lined up a lot easier and the bell housing and block should mate up better top and bottom (like this ll not like this /l). Once it's on the hoist, its not easy to wiggle or adjust things to line the bolts up by yourself.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I Just got the pathy with the bad motor to my house today. 10:47 P.M.

DO I have to pull anything on the motor to get it out? Like the intake manifold, fuel rail? Stuff like that? Im going to leave as many accessories on it as possible,IF possible.

I'll have pics up tomorrow and I plan to have the motor loose if not ot tomorrow...

well, FYI don't know if it's possible with the WD21 or benefit, but I once disconnected the main wiring harness from the ECU and poked it through the firewall when I pulled out an engine instead of removing all the connectors from the wiring harness. This was with a rotary when I swapped out an engine.

So there are a lot of connectors and stuff?

Well, I'm glad to have you guys/gals here to help me on this....

:clap: i applaud you young whippersnapper

I Just got the pathy with the bad motor to my house today. 10:47 P.M.

DO I have to pull anything on the motor to get it out? Like the intake manifold, fuel rail? Stuff like that? Im going to leave as many accessories on it as possible,IF possible.

I'll have pics up tomorrow and I plan to have the motor loose if not ot tomorrow...

you can leave the intake and manifolds on it, but have to remove radiator, shroud, and fan for x-tra room.... exhaust will need to be disconnected, and of course, the wiring connectors. just FYI.... you can't use an auto's ECU on a manual pathy...... so leave the wiring where it is on each vehicle.

here's a link to my motor pulls..... you'll see how i had my chains (i used towels under them so as not to snot up my pretty paint on the purple engine).... but it will give you ideas as to what all you can leave on... (oh, and ziplock baggies are your best friend!) you can mark the bags with which bolts they are and for what)

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/Slick...athy%20Engines/

we're always here to help if you get stuck :aok: